Tu i jo, ara i sempre by Laurie Frankel

Tu i jo, ara i sempre (edition 2013)

by Laurie Frankel, Esdres Jaruchik Naveiras (Translator)

2034184,278 (3.88)5
Member:bcacultart
Title:Tu i jo, ara i sempre
Authors:Laurie Frankel
Other authors:Esdres Jaruchik Naveiras (Translator)
Info:Badalona : Ara Llibres, 2013
Collections:Novel·la romàntica-eròtica, Your library
Tags:eròtica; romàntica, Romàntica

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel

Sam is a computer geek who works for an online dating company. He creates an algorithm that will find the perfect match for the subscribers. Unfortunately, that is not good for repeat business for the company and Sam loses his job. But before he is fired, his experiment with the algorithm helps him find his perfect mate in Meredith.

When Meredith’s grandmother dies, Meredith is having trouble dealing with her death. So Sam creates a computer simulation that allows Meredith to interact with her grandmother. Sam and Meredith believe that they can help others through the grief of having lost loved ones and they start a computer simulation business call RePose. The business grows quickly and along with that growth come many complicated situations. Soon there are those who question the ethical value of the business and through it all both Sam and Meredith learn a lot about love, life, and death.

The dead take many secrets with them. And they leave an emptiness that cannot be easily filled. The technological invention Sam created to help the survivor deal with death and grief left me saddened, interested, and sometimes even smiling. The book offers a thought-provoking look at how we live, how we love, and how we experience loss.

Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Books like this are why I read.

This novel offers the reader an opportunity to try on new ideas, to test their heart, perhaps to revisit times in their own life when things have been turned upside down by love (or loss) from a new perspective.

What more can a reader ask? For pleasure reading, those seeking novelty, humor and sheer entertainment will find these elements well supplied here too. What are you waiting for? ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
I was kind of disappointed with this book. The story sort of creeped me out - neat concept but kind of creepy. The characters were likable and the writing easy to read.

cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I LOVED this book - so unique and thought-provoking. Sam, a software designer for a dating website, makes the perfect code that matches people with their soulmates. He tries it on himself and meets Meredith. They’re incredibly happy falling in love when Meredith’s grandmother dies. They were incredibly close, and Meredith is heartbroken. Sam tweaks his code from matching soulmates, to making it seem like the dead are still alive, at least via email. This is a great book, worth the read. It’s an interesting story on the surface level, but there’s an undertone of what is reality when it comes to the internet. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
I love Laurie Frankel's characters and her writing. I found the plot very unlikely and I kept arguing with the book for the last half. But it isn't a bad book--it's an interesting look at death and what we feel and need after loved ones die. ( )
  smallwonder56 | Sep 22, 2016 |
What will survive of us is love. --PHILIP LARKIN, "AN ARUNDEL TOMB"
Nothing unknown is knowable. --TONY KUSHNER, Angels in America
Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you. --WALT WHITMAN, "SONG OF MYSELF"
For my dad, Dave Frankel, who really did reprogram our Commodore VIC-20 to make arithmetic errors in order to improve my self-confidence and math skills (only one of those worked).
And for my mom, Sue Frankel, who calls my novels---and treats them as---her grandbooks.
Sam Elling was filling out his online dating profile and trying to decide whether to laugh or cry.

Sometimes the end is just the beginning . . .

Sam Elliot works for an internet dating company, but he still can't get a date. So he creates an algorithm that will match you with your soul mate. Sam meets the love of his life, a coworker named Meredith, but he also gets fired when the company starts losing all their customers to Mr. and Ms. Right.

When Meredith's grandmother, Livvie, dies suddenly, Sam uses his ample free time to create a computer program that will allow Meredith to have one last conversation with her grandmother. Mining from all her correspondence—email, Facebook, Skype, texts—Sam constructs a computer simulation of Livvie who can respond to email or video chat just as if she were still alive. It's not supernatural, it's computer science.

Meredith loves it, and the couple begins to wonder if this is something that could help more people through their grief. And thus, the company RePose is born. The business takes off, but for every person who just wants to say good-bye, there is someone who can't let go.

In the meantime, Sam and Meredith's affection for one another deepens into the kind of love that once tasted, you can't live without. But what if one of them suddenly had to? This entertaining novel, delivers a charming and bittersweet romance as well as a lump in the throat exploration of the nature of love, loss, and life (both real and computer simulated). Maybe nothing was meant to last forever, but then again, sometimes love takes on a life of its own.

In the spirit of ONE DAY, comes a fresh and warmhearted love story for the 21st century. Sometimes the end is just the beginning . . .

Sam Elling works for an internet dating company, but he still can't get a date. So he creates an algorithm that will match you with your soul mate. Sam meets the love of his life, a coworker named Meredith, but he also gets fired when the company starts losing all their customers to Mr. and Ms. Right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

Creating an algorithm to improve his internet dating employer's match success rate only to be fired for being too effective, Sam Elliot develops a computer program that creates compelling human simulations that allow people to say final goodbyes to lost loved ones.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie Frankel's book Goodbye for Now was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,618,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible