And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

And When She Was Good (edition 2012)

by Laura Lippman

Member:spincerely
Title:And When She Was Good
Authors:Laura Lippman
Info:William Morrow (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 451 pages
Rating:***1/2

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

This is the first novel I've read by Laura Lippman. She certainly is a talented author and I hope to read more of her works.

'And When She Was Good' is the story of Helen/Heloise who is pushed into prostitution as a teen by her boyfriend. She came from a dysfunctional family and, while she was smart and ambitious, she had no self-confidence because of an abusive father and a mother who did nothing to protect her. This novel portrays her as a 'victim' until she becomes a mother and then she decides to turn her life around.

Lippman makes Helen/Heloise a very strong protagonist and most of the other main characters are strong as well. I didn't want to like her because of the lifestyle she was leading but understood how hard it was for her to change her lifestyle, so I ended up liking and routing for her. I felt there were too many minor characters and it was hard for me to keep track of their relationship to Helen/Heloise. The villains were so well-written that it was very early to dislike them!

The flow of the story is good but I didn't like a backstory every other chapter. The ending was just what I expected though so no surprises there. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish that all young women could read it before getting into prostitution. There are lots of lessons to be learned. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Aug 17, 2014 |
Heloise Lewis has worked hard to create a comfortable and secure home for her son Scott and herself in an upscale suburban community in Turner's Grove, Maryland. She has also created a successful small business which supports them very well. The problem is that she must be vigilant to keep her two worlds from intersecting. She calls herself the CEO of Women's Full Employment Network, but her employees are high end prostitutes and her job title is actually Madam. For nearly twelve years, she has carefully kept records, paid taxes, seen to it that her employees are safe and have health insurance at her expense, so that she can avoid unwanted attention from the police and the IRS..

But now another woman in an adjacent county is making the news in an apparent suicide. She is identified in the newspaper as a Suburban Madam. Heloise's friend at the Police Department has offered her protection from notoriety for years because Heloise was able to provide them with key information that put her former pimp/Scott's father in prison for life for murder. But now her friend is retiring and he warns her to be extremely careful. There is now a possibility that the conviction could be overturned on a technicality.

Author Laura Lippman is a master at slowly building tension, introducing provocative details as she reveals the back story that makes Heloise the woman she is today. Heloise's parents, her current clients, even her employees are carefully nuanced and add to the richness of the story. As the story unfolds, complications multiply, but nothing Heloise can't handle. Even the relationship with Scott's father is dynamic and complex, though it is beginning to have an ominous aspect to it...

Maybe it is a little too much to handle after all...losing the business may be least of Heloise's worries. There is an exciting ending and this is a book that suspense fans, not to mention Laura Lippman fans, will definitely want to read. ( )
  vcg610 | Jul 11, 2014 |
This book should have been named “Daddy Issues” because that it basically all it’s about. Heloise/Helen has been a prostitute (escort) since she was nineteen years old. She dropped out of school (though she was pretty much a straight A student) and ran away from home with the first guy she slept with because she thought he loved her. She blames this on her father, because he was cruel to her and beat her and her mother.

She eventually hooked up with a pimp, who also beat her occasionally, this she blames on her father. And her mother for putting up with her father. She blames her father for her not graduating high school. She blames her father for every bad thing that’s happened in her life. She takes no responsibility for the decisions she’s made that led her down the path of prostitution.

I understand that children that are abused by their parents suffer mental consequences, but there comes a time when you need to take responsibility for your own actions. Heloise never learns this lesson, because her in twenty years of hooking, she never once gets caught (unlikely).

She’s also boring and very pretentious for someone that never graduated high school. She has a son, Scott who is constantly described as a “dream child”. He is perfect in almost every way and he has been since birth. He hardly ever cried, slept through the night, few tantrums, polite, smart, and athletic.

There are no real twists or turns in the book, you can see the “twist” from a mile away. Also the book is very dry and it took me a few days to get through it. It flips back and forth from her current life to her past, leading up to how she became to be a suburban madam.

This book just wasn’t for me. ( )
  Punkfarie | Jun 21, 2014 |
I confess I have never read a Laura Lippmann book before, this title was a "recommended if you like" and so when I saw it on sale I bought it.
The story sounded great a prostitute who changes the business but not her profession. The problem was the main character Helen/Heloise/Hel for me was not at all believable. She lacks common sense throughout the book and misses things that for the reader were so obvious. The whole book came off as a Movie made for Lifetime TV.
This is a theory I have, I think when Gillian Flynn became such a hot selling author, many publishers wanted to get in on the act. Get their authors to write edgy books and tell them as Gillian does in both the past and the present. This author is skilled enough to pull off the past and present format, which is not easy to do, unfortunately her characters, wound up be laughable caricatures who were not at all believable. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 2, 2014 |
Lippman's Heloise is a great character. She is complex and human, and even though she runs a prostitute ring, she is trying her best to do the right thing and run it in a way that protects the women who work for her. It's an engaging story, with a lovely ending. If only life would turn out so well. ( )
  eapalmer | Mar 8, 2014 |
For every woman I know,
but in particular the three L's-
Lauren Milne Henderson
Linda Perlstein
Lizzie Skurnick
-who manage, despite vast distances, to keep me
well fed, well shod, and reasonably sane.
SUBURBAN MADAM DEAD IN APPARENT SUICIDE
The headline catches Heloise's eye as she waits in the always-long line at the Starbucks closest to her son's middle school.

Suburban prostitute Heloise decides to leave the profession and disappear with her child after another prostitute is found dead, and must stay a step ahead of a convicted murderer--and the father of her child--whose sentence is about to be overturned.

Suburban madam Heloise, with no one left to trust, decides to get out of the game when another suburban madam is brutally murdered, forcing her to stay one step ahead of a killer--and the father of her child--who is just as lethal behind bars as he was on the outside.… (more)

113 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible