Kidnapped by Jan Burke

Kidnapped

by Jan Burke

I really couldn't get into this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
I really couldn't get into this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
Irene Kelly - #10 ( )
  pharrm | Nov 26, 2009 |
Well, the new Laura Lippman was out at the local library so I put a reserve on it and I took a chance on this one, which I found while poking through the James Lee and Alafair Burke titles. Kidnapped is a pretty decent crime thriller except for the absolutely absurd premise, which makes it difficult to suspend disbelief. I suppose I shouldn't tell, in case someone wants to read the book after seeing this post. I'll just say that the motivation for the criminal conspiracy uncovered by the intrepid Irene Kelly is a bit far fetched.

Irene Kelly is the protagonist of a series of books written by Jan Burke. A newspaper reporter married to a police officer, she gets herself into a lot of trouble investigating crimes that she is not supposed to be writing about. This book also features forensic lab work and search and rescue dogs and a dog trainer hat I believe is a regular part of Burke's books. The forensics and SAR material seem to be well researched. Burke is involved in forensic science as a member of the California Forensic Science Institute.

I did get caught up in the hunt for the missing persons and the excitement of capturing the trained to kill with bare hands and crack shot ultra smart super villain, which Irene Kelly subdues with a non stick pan and a bottle of bleach. Oops, I just said too much.

I'll Never Forget The Day I Read A Book!
  cbjorke | Sep 10, 2009 |
After reading many of Jan Burke's books I've come to realize that they are very similar in theme and plot. Although they are good books, they are somewhat predictable and could be boring. This book was easy to read and I finished it in 4 days. ( )
  Sunflower6_Cris | Aug 28, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743273869, Mass Market Paperback)

News reporter Irene Kelly untangles the threads of a past crime and a haunting disappearance while trying to survive the present -- in this suspense-charged bestseller from Edgar® Award winner Jan Burke.

Not long after the Las Piernas Express publishes Irene Kelly's articles profiling missing children cases, bones turn up at a California estate -- and a notorious murder-kidnapping is churned up once more. When artist Richard Fletcher was found bludgeoned in his studio years ago, his stepson was quickly apprehended with the murder weapon and ultimately convicted. But Richard's young daughter, Jenny, who went missing at the time of the murder, was never found. Now Irene has joined Richard's son Caleb, a graduate student of forensic anthropology, in the fight to prove his stepbrother's innocence and solve Jenny's disappearance. But digging up the tragedies of the sprawling and powerful Fletcher family isabout to set off a murderous chain reaction -- and put Irene's own life in peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

When Irene Kelly's articles profiling missing children run in the Las Piernas Express, she anticipates the renewed public interest and the deluge of phone tips and remembered clues; she even anticipates the renewed pain of the anguished parents.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449876722, 1456110535

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,598,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible