Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) by…

Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) (edition 2012)

by Meljean Brook

1982859,376 (3.85)2
Member:jthorburn
Title:Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas)
Authors:Meljean Brook
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:steampunk

Riveted by Meljean Brook

There is no connection to previous Iron Seas books. They are only in the same world. ( )
  Aneris | Dec 29, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I can never say enough about the books in this series, so I'm just not going to say much, except that I pretty much loved this story. The last book was a little laggy for me, and though Meljeans ability to make the best laid plans go crazy haywire was definitely present, this one lagged a bit as well. I think it might be in part of the worldbuilding areas? Whatever, LOVED David and Annika. Both complex characters with issues that would seem hard to resolve... And they are. In fact, we don't even see the resolution for all of their problems, even though we know that they happen (thank you for not assuming your readers are idiots you have to handhold, Ms Brooks). The side characters were rich, and while I didn't like the setting due to my abhorrence of cold weather it was still vivid. There were no zombies in this one, which was an interesting change, ha!

I think the next interesting place to go would be from the perspective of someone from Manhattan... A non-bugger dealing with the bugger world. But we'll see. For now, this was another wonderful installment in the best steam book series out there right now. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
ron Sharks, Airships and scary trolls. I do love steampunk and the world is just so fascinating, things that could have happened (even if not likely ;). I did miss the zombies though, I never thought I would say that but they do give a nice chase.

This book works fine on it's own, we do not see the previous characters around but if you want to know more about the Horde, the tower, zombies, then you really must start with book 1.

Annika is a mysterious woman who does not talk about her past. She hails from Iceland, the land of trolls and witches...or what is really going on? Annika was hard to get to know, but that was the idea, as she kept her secrets close. We knew them, but she would not let anyone else know. So it was not easy at times to get to know her, and therefore like her.

The hero, David is from the new world, and would by some not be called pretty exactly as he has legs of iron, fake eye and scars. But such a nice and sweet guy. Love him.

There is adventure as bad things are coming. David are off to explore volcanoes, Annika has secrets to guard. Friendship is growing, passion is slowly emerging. And when it finally does come around, then it's hot and fast.

Conclusion:
I did feel a bit sad that there was no Mina or Rhys, but I can live with that. And I do hope that there will be more from this fascinating world.

Cover:
Love it! Though I'd want more color on her clothes as she loves and wears that. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Before Annika had begun her journey, her mother had assured her that the people in the New World weren't all that different from the women in their village of Hannasvik.

A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland's inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend-- and the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magical. Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister K?alla took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on an airship, searching for her sister and longing to return home-- and expedition leader David Kentewess is looking to expose Annika's secrets. When David and Annika are stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman,their very survival depending on keeping the heat rising between them-- and generating lots of steam...… (more)

161 wanted2 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,625,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible