Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) by…

Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) (edition 2012)

by Meljean Brook

Member:jthorburn
Title:Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas)
Authors:Meljean Brook
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:steampunk

Riveted by Meljean Brook

A man in search of his roots and a woman desperate to protect hers face an addled inventor, an amoral student of the human condition, vicious packs of wild dogs and impending volcanic eruption. Suspense, action, romance and adventure, all wrapped up and served in a tasty steampunk shell. Perhaps not Brook's best, but good fun nonetheless. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 22, 2014 |
The dystopian world of the Iron Seas series thrives in this third installment featuring the stoker on an airship and a scientist studying volcanoes who face an evil genius on the treacherously cold plains of Iceland.

Both Annika and David are on quests: she to find her sister Källa and he to fulfill his dying mother’s last request. Fortunately, these quests intersect, so they meet and immediately click. It’s also unfortunate these quests intersect because they run contrary to each other.

For the four years Annika has been stoking the engine on the Phateon, she has been placing advertisements in port newspapers where they stop asking for news about Källa, but as the book opens, so far she’s had no replies. Annika, for all her quiet demeanor and reticence, loves exotic fabrics and ribbons, and buys them in great quantities in her travels, making a colorful and exotic wardrobe with them.

What catches David’s attention, however, is her accent - which is like that of his mother’s, an accent he hasn’t heard since she died and left her runes to be buried in her homeland. Neither David nor his father knew where that homeland might be which is why he’s so excited to meet Annika.

But when he tells her about his promise, although she’s sympathetic, she says she can’t tell him where her home is. She’s protecting the community of women in Iceland who live there. In order to ward off people who might want to harm them (since many are lesbians and have been severely punished before they moved to the community), the women have spread tales of witches and trolls who inhabit the island and harm visitors. David, however, is traveling to Iceland to study the volcanoes there, not knowing how close he will be to his mother’s people. When she hears his plans, Annika fears for the community’s safety.

Read the rest of my review at AAR: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9481 ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 3, 2013 |
A good mix of romance, alternate history, and steampunk. Annika is an Engineer on an airship. David, who has a mechanical arm, legs, and eye, saves her while in port. Little does she know he will be on her ship on the way to Iceland. I really liked both characters and their chemistry was great. I enjoyed the alternate history developed for Iceland. ( )
  hoosgracie | Sep 27, 2013 |

Riveted is a steampunk adult romance and is the third book under the Iron Seas series. The story is a stand-alone novel in the universe and does not related to any character in the previous books. When David Kentewess, a volcanist heard Annika Fridasdottor's accent in the streets of Castile, he immediately grew interested in getting to know the odd woman who later he found out as a crew member of the airship Phateon in which he will be joining to meet with his aunt, Dr Lucia Kentewess and to go on a journey to Iceland. Twenty years ago, a volcanic incident destroyed his limbs and killed his mother who in her dying breath, wanted him to bury her beads in her homeland. Finding Annika gave him some hope to fulfill his mother's dying wish but he unexpectedly found himself intrigued by the woman herself for a reason closer to his heart.

To simplify, it's about a dysfunctional girl with a secret and finding attraction in a guy with a horrid past and who feared rejection and then something bad happened to them and they have to survive in the ice-cold climate and try to survive the extreme Icelandic landscape while being chased by airships and mechanical whales. Oh, there are volcanic eruptions and woman-only communities in far north who can control trolls aka giant mecha.

There are female homosexuality theme in this book which can make some readers uncomfortable with but the book was careful into not exploiting the matter in the plot which make the whole premise enticing to average readers.

I fell in love with the character, the storyline, the dialogues that was engaging through the bulk of the book. From the first chapter, I devour every scenes as if it were real and enjoyed it to the last. Despite being considered as a Paranormal Romance, I find the book were less as a PNR but more as a serious adult fiction. To be honest, the story really is a combination of Sakura Wars, Jules Verne, Moby Dick, Full Metal Alchemist and Final Fantasy. I did mildly enjoy Moby Dick and Jules Verne's books but this novel make killer-whale more epic than when I was whale hunting in Sims Medieval. Plus, the psychopathic antagonist is rather well thought of for a genre and surprisingly very unpredictable unlike the previous books.

Before you wince about having to read romance. Yes, the book is about Annika and David falling in love but the romance element is absolutely minimal from the start and it does naturally progress to the conclusion. Besides, most of the book is filled with what a Steampunk novel should be ; great world-building, engaging plot, superb action, daunting climax and fantastic resolution. In fact, I think 80% of the book goes on without a proper sex scene and even that is hardly explicit for average adult.

I was a bit disappointed in "Heart of Steel" after a brilliant start in "Iron Duke". I do enjoy alpha male characters like Trahearn but David in "Riveted" does tickle the romantic side of spinster me. After I have read Riveted excerpt in "Mina Wentworth and Invisible City", I initially wished that the book doesn't disappoint me (like some hyped up books I've read did) and luckily, the whole book is simply magnificent.

If you enjoy world-building, adventure, some technicalities and science, with female character that was strong and fragile at some moment, and a male character that doesn't overwhelm the book, feminist, massive whale, airships, gundam, and book geek references, then the book is definitely for you. And I find it's quite unisex too since it's from Annika and David's POVs. I just hope the PNR label doesn't scare away potential readers because this book is a great steampunk novel.

The fact that I received the autographed copy from the author doesn't change the fact that I really enjoy the story and hope for the best in the rest of the installment. Plus, I can't wait for Scarsdale's novel, even if I had to wait for a year for it and I think I will reread Heart of Steel again to see if it grows on to me.

As a disclaimer. I received the ARC from the author and by proxy the publisher. The book will be published on 4th September 2012. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
Before Annika had begun her journey, her mother had assured her that the people in the New World weren't all that different from the women in their village of Hannasvik.

A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland's inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend-- and the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magical. Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister K?alla took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on an airship, searching for her sister and longing to return home-- and expedition leader David Kentewess is looking to expose Annika's secrets. When David and Annika are stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman,their very survival depending on keeping the heat rising between them-- and generating lots of steam...… (more)

187 wanted2 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible