Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) by…

Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas) (edition 2012)

by Meljean Brook

1932661,059 (3.86)2
Member:jthorburn
Title:Riveted (A Novel of the Iron Seas)
Authors:Meljean Brook
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:steampunk

Riveted by Meljean Brook

There is no connection to previous Iron Seas books. They are only in the same world. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
  Aneris | Mar 17, 2016 |
ron Sharks, Airships and scary trolls. I do love steampunk and the world is just so fascinating, things that could have happened (even if not likely ;). I did miss the zombies though, I never thought I would say that but they do give a nice chase.

This book works fine on it's own, we do not see the previous characters around but if you want to know more about the Horde, the tower, zombies, then you really must start with book 1.

Annika is a mysterious woman who does not talk about her past. She hails from Iceland, the land of trolls and witches...or what is really going on? Annika was hard to get to know, but that was the idea, as she kept her secrets close. We knew them, but she would not let anyone else know. So it was not easy at times to get to know her, and therefore like her.

The hero, David is from the new world, and would by some not be called pretty exactly as he has legs of iron, fake eye and scars. But such a nice and sweet guy. Love him.

There is adventure as bad things are coming. David are off to explore volcanoes, Annika has secrets to guard. Friendship is growing, passion is slowly emerging. And when it finally does come around, then it's hot and fast.

Conclusion:
I did feel a bit sad that there was no Mina or Rhys, but I can live with that. And I do hope that there will be more from this fascinating world.

Cover:
Love it! Though I'd want more color on her clothes as she loves and wears that. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A secret island of women, one woman searching for her sister, and one man determined to fulfill his promise to his mother.

Opening Sentence: “Before Annika had begun her journey, her mother assured her that the people in the New World weren’t all that different from the women in their village of Hannasvik.”

The Review:

Annika accidentally set a fire, and almost exposed her village to men. Her sister Kalla took the blame and left the village. Annika left later and has been searching for her sister for four years. David comes to her rescue while she is in a foreign port. When he asks her to dinner, she freaks out and refuses his offer not knowing at the time that he has booked passage on the Phateon too. David thinks she is a passenger too, he only learns later that she is crew member.

He is trying to discover the secret of her origins, because her speech reminds him of his mother. She also wears runes similar to the ones his mother gave him when she was dying. She had asked David to bury them in the mountain by her village. But even in death she doesn’t reveal the secrets of her people. Annika is shocked to find out that David’s mother is related to her family. She promises to pass on the information, but only her sisters’ can reveal their secrets to him.

So he promises to help her find Kalla, while waiting on a response from the mysterious women of Hannasvik. On the journey they are attacked by a submersible whale, and captured by the pirates. When taken to the camp of their leader, they find Kalla and a madman bent on discovering something.

I did go and read the first two books before getting to this one. I have to say I really enjoyed The Iron Duke, but wasn’t as impressed with Heart of Steel, so I didn’t really know what to expect when starting this one. I really enjoyed this book, and other than the worldbuilding this is a series where you don’t necessarily have to read all the books. Normally steampunk just isn’t my thing, there are exceptions –this series being one of them. Annika was bold, fearless and a tad odd, everything I love in a female lead. Together Annika and David were scorching hot!

I really love the alternative history, so it’s familiar but different. The steampunk is the mechanical ships, and nanobots (which is something new that I have seen with my limited exposure to steampunk). The mixtures of prejudices and freethinking really set the series apart. For instances, the way some think of the Horde and the nanobots, or even the way they view women who have relationships with women, but on the other hand the majority of the people seem to think it’s completely normal and nothing is wrong with that. If steampunk is your thing, I think you will love this series!

Notable Scene:

“She’d often fancied dangers that weren’t there and daydreamed when she have been wary.”

“He’d almost given up hope of ever knowing his mother’s origins.”

“I want to feel as if my guts are riveted together, to feel as if I would do anything just for a kiss, or a touch, or to see them.”

“Lorenzo had woken the witch.”

“And the rest of the world melted away.”

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Riveted. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 2, 2016 |
4.5/5
I still don't think anything can beat the first book of the series, but Riveted came pretty darn close to it. And it's the characters that did it. Annika and David are so fabulous together, you stay glued to the book until the very end cheering for this couple. Annika is an absolute powerhouse who makes things happen and David is the quiet force behind her. Add to it, fantastic background and chilling plot, and this an insanely good book! Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Before Annika had begun her journey, her mother had assured her that the people in the New World weren't all that different from the women in their village of Hannasvik.

A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland's inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend-- and the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magical. Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister K?alla took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on an airship, searching for her sister and longing to return home-- and expedition leader David Kentewess is looking to expose Annika's secrets. When David and Annika are stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman,their very survival depending on keeping the heat rising between them-- and generating lots of steam...… (more)

161 wanted2 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,491,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible