Dragon Justice by Laura Anne Gilman

This series is just getting better and better.
I love how most people who reviewed this never gave the hint of a major event in the book. I did not see that particular thing coming. I can't even write about it because I might say too much and ruin the story for someone else.
I liked how the romance part was really low key. When Venec and Torres realized their connection, I was afraid this would become just another paranormal romance with story somewhere in the background while the two are suffering and whatnot. Fortunately, I was wrong. ( )
  MoranaMora | Aug 26, 2014 |
Bonnie and the other PUPIs have grown on me throughout this series. I wasn’t sure I liked this outgoing, outspoken, free spirit of a woman at first, but I’ve come to admire her. She’s faced danger with bravery. She’s faced ambiguous moral situations and held fast to her own code. I may not have always understood the choices she made, but they always felt true to her character. Moreover, she made me respect her: her strength and her tenacity. And the fact that I can write about her here as if she were a real person and not just words on a page is a testimony to Gilman’s skill as an author.

It’s no secret that I’m a fan of Gilman’s work. She does good stuff, and this book (and series) is certainly worth the read. However, I finished Dragon Justice not triumphantly but instead vaguely disappointed. This is an adequate ending to a great series, but only adequate. The plot is solid and action-filled, don’t get me wrong. I devoured this book in less than two days, after all. I greatly enjoyed the return of the Wren as well. (I’d say that was my favorite part.)

The problem lies in the fact that it is the end of the series. This poor reader doesn’t feel like the plot threads were resolved at all. Sure, not every book has to have all the ends tied up neatly in pretty little bows. I like the idea that the characters and their lives will keep going on once the pages have all been turned. However, though we’re told how the main romance will be resolved, we don’t actually get to see it. I was convinced during my reading that a certain plot element was just a ruse, but it doesn’t seem to be so with the ending we receive here. That most of all just leaves me sad and rather disappointed.

If there were more – or just one more – book(s) in the series, then I’d say that Dragon Justice performs at a solid 4 (out of 5) stars. As it is, I think it goes out on a bit of a downer, with the barest hint of hope that our battered PUPIs will recover and go on. In my opinion, this installment lacks a significant something that would bring it from a solid and exciting entry in a series to a climactic and appropriate ending. ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |
Bonnie’s paranormal investigative work continues—and this time, she and her fellow “pups” find themselves hunting a serial killer. Meanwhile, she and “Big Dog” Venec continue to find their way around the Merge, now that their coworkers are all aware of it. The story moves along nicely and ends on an intriguing note for next time. We'll see if Bonnie and Venec can maintain their chemistry for another novel! ( )
  jholcomb | Jun 4, 2013 |
DRAGON JUSTICE is a book that belongs to many genres, while playing with the boundaries and conventions of all of them. Urban fantasy, but with a strong procedural flavor. Elements of the mystery intermingle with currents in the world at large, sometimes tantalizing clues are just the fertile seed that sparks one of Bonnie's intuitive leaps.

Full review to follow.

Sexual content: References to sex. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
didnt even finish the book. hard to get into.
  girluvhew | Feb 25, 2013 |

In my time with PUPI, formally known as Private, Unaffiliated Paranormal Investigations, I've seen a lot. Learned a lot. And not all of it's been good. But what we do—make people accountable for crimes committed with magic—is important work.

So hey, vacation. Maybe I'll finally figure out what's going on with the "special bond" between me and the boss man, Benjamin Venec. Venec seems to like that idea—he's invited me down to join him on a jaunt to Philly. But no sooner do I arrive in the City of Brotherly Love than we're called in to look at a dead body.

And that's when life gets really complicated….

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

"In my time with PUPI, formally known as Private, Unaffiliated Paranormal Investigations, I've seen a lot. Learned a lot. And not all of it's been good. But what we do--make people accountable for crimes committed with magic--is important work. Still. Even I need to take a break every now and again. Or so I've just been told (ordered). So hey, vacation. Maybe I'll finally figure out what's going on with the 'special bond' between me and the boss man, Benjamin Venec. Venec seems to like that idea--he's invited me down to join him on a jaunt to Philly. But no sooner do I arrive in the City of Brotherly Love than we're called in to look at a dead body. And that's when life gets really complicated"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible