The Sometimes Lake by Sandy Bonny

The Sometimes Lake (edition 2012)

by Sandy Bonny

Collections:Your library, Canadian
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Canadian Author, Canadian Lit, Fiction, Short Stories, EBook, Own, Read

The Sometimes Lake by Sandy Bonny

For the most part, this collection wasn't the book for me. The writing itself was good, but how it was executed didn't exactly work for me. The author has her own unique flare for writing short stories, but I didn't exactly like it.

The Jasmine Springs Road was the best story in this collection. In fact, it was an excellent story, with excellent characterization, and a very intriguing plot. I just wish I could have enjoyed the rest of this collection as much as that individual story. This individual story captivated me, was the saving factor of the book, and shows the authors own writing talents, I really wish the rest of the book fell into this category.

While most just didn't connect to me plot wise, two stories in particular just didn't work for me at all. (Marrow and Tell). In both cases, I felt that the plots didn't have any flow to them - it felt like a splash of thoughts, and words that didn't come together to tell a story. Mind you those splashed of thoughts and words were well done, the quality of writing was well done, just not the execution or how the author chose to tell the story. There were many times, I felt like the flow of the individual short story was off.

Two other short stories worth noting were: Nogha and Traplines, which were fairly good reads. They did stick out to me as interesting, and both stories had some good plot/ character development. The endings of both stories were rather interesting in their own unique way, but overall, I was somewhat disappointed in this collection.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Sometimes Lake ( )
  bookwormjules | Jan 12, 2013 |
Bonny's short stories all balance on the edge between the probable and the wildly, even insanely, possible. There is no telling what her characters might do, but she tells it and tells it well.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible