The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan (Author)

Member:theshadowknows
Title:The Governess Affair
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 102 pages
Collections:Kindle, Freebies, Your library, Historical
Tags:2012, historical romance, england, victorian, 1835, non-titled hero, tragic non-virgin heroine, revenge, governess, enemies, marriage of convenience, novella, indie, own, ebook, smashwords, kindle, freebie

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (Author)

‘The Governess Affair’ by Courtney Milan is a historical romance novella. Serena Barton is a governess whose reputation has been ruined by an unscrupulous duke. To extract justice and compensation for his unfair act, Serena lingers outside of his home in an act of protest. The duke’s henchman, Hugo Marshall, who is called the Wolf of Clermont, is merciless in dealing with Serena, until he comes to realize that he has met his match in this strong-willed, ethical, and determined woman. The author cleverly portrays the interesting relationship that develops between Hugo and Serena, and as they spar with words, the characters become more appealing and fascinating. I very much enjoyed this novella, and I will surely read more of Courtney Milan’s books in the future. ( )
  haymaai | May 23, 2017 |
Can two people find love in the strangest way? Serena wants to do right by her unborn child, she will make the man that did this her pay. He won't get away with destroying her child's life, he has destroyed hers and she will get what is due to her child. Hugo has been tasked with getting rid of the problem, his employer wants her gone. Hugo is the most feared man as he gets things done. But after meeting her he just can't seem to harm her. He does try but there is realizes that he can offer her a better life. Will she accept his offer of marriage even if it comes with no love?
A great story loved it all. The under dog deserves to win. I received a copy via Librarything and the author ( )
  Lillian-Maddocks9389 | Oct 8, 2016 |
I've yet to read a short story by Ms Milan that I've liked, even though I absolutely love her novels. This was basically just setting up the characters for her new series. Excited about the new series, but this short story just kind of seemed mashed together. Semi-insta-love is not a favorite theme of mine, so that kind of killed it too. Meh. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
This was an incredibly sweet read.
I am not sure whether it was the length of the book or the fact that I could never get over how pitiful I thought they made the heroine sound in the beginning of the book. I hated the duke and I thought Hugo was admirable I just think that I should have been prepared for the rape scene a little more in order to love the book. I also think that the book was way too short and I would of had more time to fall in love with the story as well as the characters. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Lots of conversations between the protagonists, which drives this novella. I liked it a lot. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
For Amy, Tessa, and Leigh.

I'm never "scared" with you all around.
London, October, 1835.

She will not give up.

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in.

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...

She will not give up. Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's his merciless man of business -- the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying -- not with her entire future at stake. He cannot give in. Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition -- a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible