The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:theshadowknows
Title:The Governess Affair
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 102 pages
Collections:Kindle, Freebies, Your library, Historical
Tags:2012, historical romance, england, victorian, 1835, non-titled hero, tragic non-virgin heroine, revenge, governess, enemies, marriage of convenience, novella, indie, own, ebook, smashwords, kindle, freebie

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (Author)

I loved this story. Even though it is only a hundred or so pages long, it isn't rushed. Its characters are common people. Both Hugo Marshall and Serena Barton are great characters. Neither is annoying even with their personal issues.

Serena Barton has decided to sit in front of the house of a horrible duke who is responsible for getting her fired. She seeks justice.
Hugo Marshall, the Wolf of Clermont, is the one who should make her go away by any means necessary. What the duke didn't expect is how Hugo's childhood memories would play a great role in this governess situation. I love this character. Hugo Marshall is a man who is not even aware how larger than life he is.

This is a beautiful story with dark tones and those who like historical romances shouldn't wait to read this.
I loved the bitter sweet epilogue (it is not about the two main characters). ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This was an incredibly sweet read.
I am not sure whether it was the length of the book or the fact that I could never get over how pitiful I thought they made the heroine sound in the beginning of the book. I hated the duke and I thought Hugo was admirable I just think that I should have been prepared for the rape scene a little more in order to love the book. I also think that the book was way too short and I would of had more time to fall in love with the story as well as the characters. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Lots of conversations between the protagonists, which drives this novella. I liked it a lot. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Hugo Marshall has aspirations and when his employer, the Duke of Clermont, asks him to deal with the young woman who sits on the bench opposite his Mayfair home and refuses to move until the Duke makes restitution, Hugo has very little option. But Serena Barton is a far more difficult adversary than Hugo expected, particularly as he finds himself very sympathetic to her cause.

This novella is actually the first entry in the Sinister Brothers series, but ebook holds being what they are, I didn't read it until I was midway through. That placement actually made the book even more enjoyable as I discovered the back story for Robert and Oliver after I had already encountered them in their own novels. While the subject matter of this brief novella isn't always easy, the book was well done and I devoured it in the course of a couple hours. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 28, 2015 |
Absolutely gorgeous as it's usually the case with Courtney Milan's work! Read it, it's only $.99 or £.77 on Amazon! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

She will not give up.

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in.

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...

She will not give up. Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's his merciless man of business -- the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying -- not with her entire future at stake. He cannot give in. Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition -- a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

51 wanted5 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,414,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible