The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan (Author)

I loved this story. Even though it is only a hundred or so pages long, it isn't rushed. Its characters are common people. Both Hugo Marshall and Serena Barton are great characters. Neither is annoying even with their personal issues.

Serena Barton has decided to sit in front of the house of a horrible duke who is responsible for getting her fired. She seeks justice.
Hugo Marshall, the Wolf of Clermont, is the one who should make her go away by any means necessary. What the duke didn't expect is how Hugo's childhood memories would play a great role in this governess situation. I love this character. Hugo Marshall is a man who is not even aware how larger than life he is.

This is a beautiful story with dark tones and those who like historical romances shouldn't wait to read this.
I loved the bitter sweet epilogue (it is not about the two main characters). ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Wow!! This was so well written! It read like prose instead of a typical historical romance. One of my new favs. I'll definitely be reading more from this author! ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
I downloaded this book (prequel novella) free from Amazon after reading a review for The Duchess War on BookLikes – which is Book 1 in the The Brothers Sinister series.

I always enjoy reading about a strong woman who is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in, or a woman who will go to great lengths to right a wrong done either to herself, or to others. Serena was a strong woman in many aspects, and I admired her, but in one crucial moment, when confronted by the Duke, she reacted in a way which was totally out of character for her. This may be because of the era in which she lived, I am not sure, but I found it unbelievable. It never ceases to amaze me though, how unfair the system was and what women, and the working class, had to put up with.

Women of that era did not have the resources we have today so it is difficult to understand the lengths Serena had to go to to make sure that she was able to take care of herself and her child, especially as there was no one else she would be able to rely on for help if anything should go wrong. Scary times.

I enjoyed the story. I liked the characters enough to move on to The Duchess War – which I am reading at the moment. It is really, really great, so much so in fact, that I have downloaded the rest of the series. ( )
  Rosemary_Montgomery | Feb 10, 2014 |
This was a hard-to-put-down read. Serena and Hugo have both been through terrible events in their pasts, but they're both strong people who deserve each other and are good for each other. I was eager to see how they would resolve the real problems keeping them apart, and the resolution worked for me. ( )
  castiron | Feb 9, 2014 |
This was my first taste of Courtney Milan and I really enjoyed it! I'll definitely be reading more of hers now. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |

She will not give up.

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in.

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...

She will not give up. Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's his merciless man of business -- the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying -- not with her entire future at stake. He cannot give in. Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition -- a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

19 wanted4 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,358,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible