The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:theshadowknows
Title:The Governess Affair
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 102 pages
Collections:Kindle, Freebies, Your library, Historical
Tags:2012, historical romance, england, victorian, 1835, non-titled hero, tragic non-virgin heroine, revenge, governess, enemies, marriage of convenience, novella, indie, own, ebook, smashwords, kindle, freebie

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, sandstorms22, sydaisy, Suzi.Rogers.Gruber, RobynBachar, nmgski

Lots of conversations between the protagonists, which drives this novella. I liked it a lot. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Hugo Marshall has aspirations and when his employer, the Duke of Clermont, asks him to deal with the young woman who sits on the bench opposite his Mayfair home and refuses to move until the Duke makes restitution, Hugo has very little option. But Serena Barton is a far more difficult adversary than Hugo expected, particularly as he finds himself very sympathetic to her cause.

This novella is actually the first entry in the Sinister Brothers series, but ebook holds being what they are, I didn't read it until I was midway through. That placement actually made the book even more enjoyable as I discovered the back story for Robert and Oliver after I had already encountered them in their own novels. While the subject matter of this brief novella isn't always easy, the book was well done and I devoured it in the course of a couple hours. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 28, 2015 |
Absolutely gorgeous as it's usually the case with Courtney Milan's work! Read it, it's only $.99 or £.77 on Amazon! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I'm in the minority for my rating of this one. Milan has a wonderful writing style, but honestly I can't abide the plot of this story.

Serena was fired from her job as a governess after a duke rapes her. Now she is determined to passive aggressively blackmail him into providing some support for the child that resulted. The hero, Hugo, is in charge of ensuring that the duke keeps his head above water financially, so when Serena appears and threatens to rock the boat, it is his job to dissuade her. I hated the premise of this story. Why? Because I hate when rape is used purely as a literary device to strengthen a heroine and that's what its used as here. Serena shows little to no emotional reactions to having been raped unless it a) helps progress the relationship between her and Hugo or b) is used to display Serena's unselfishness through the unswerving commitment and love she has for her unborn child that resulted from the rape.

My problem with this is that the overall tone of the story (verging on comedic) is not equipped to properly deal with the seriousness of rape. So, when reading this story, rape comes across as either inconsequential or a circumstance that offers new-found strength to women. This ignores most of the emotional impact rape has on a survivor and, by ignoring it, works to trivialize the experience. However, I would like to state that I'm not accusing Milan of condoning or intentionally trivializing sexual violence in any sense. What I am trying to get across is that creating a light-hearted and near comedic story where a rape is the main component of the plot just does not work. And I feel that there are other reasons that Serena could've lost her job and then set out to blackmail the duke that would've worked much better for the tone of this story. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Tasty little morsel of a novella that I am guessing leads into the main characters for the rest of the series. While these two leads tumbled rather quickly into love, I rather like the way it happened. Sure, she is a "fallen woman" and he is supposed to be a notorious "thug", but somehow, they end up with their HEA. I am looking forward to digging into the banquet that is the rest of Milan's novels. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |

She will not give up.

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in.

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...

She will not give up. Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's his merciless man of business -- the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying -- not with her entire future at stake. He cannot give in. Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition -- a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

45 wanted5 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible