The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan (Author)

244None47,086 (3.95)13
Member:theshadowknows
Title:The Governess Affair
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 102 pages
Collections:Kindle, Freebies, Your library, Historical
Tags:2012, historical romance, england, victorian, 1835, non-titled hero, tragic non-virgin heroine, revenge, governess, enemies, marriage of convenience, novella, indie, own, ebook, smashwords, kindle, freebie

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (Author)

Recently added byKasi224, RachelNR, private library, nerdchills, JLSMEG, spygirl, Zanzando, Brendelicious

I downloaded this book (prequel novella) free from Amazon after reading a review for The Duchess War on BookLikes – which is Book 1 in the The Brothers Sinister series.

I always enjoy reading about a strong woman who is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in, or a woman who will go to great lengths to right a wrong done either to herself, or to others. Serena was a strong woman in many aspects, and I admired her, but in one crucial moment, when confronted by the Duke, she reacted in a way which was totally out of character for her. This may be because of the era in which she lived, I am not sure, but I found it unbelievable. It never ceases to amaze me though, how unfair the system was and what women, and the working class, had to put up with.

Women of that era did not have the resources we have today so it is difficult to understand the lengths Serena had to go to to make sure that she was able to take care of herself and her child, especially as there was no one else she would be able to rely on for help if anything should go wrong. Scary times.

I enjoyed the story. I liked the characters enough to move on to The Duchess War – which I am reading at the moment. It is really, really great, so much so in fact, that I have downloaded the rest of the series. ( )
  Rosemary_Montgomery | Feb 10, 2014 |
This was a hard-to-put-down read. Serena and Hugo have both been through terrible events in their pasts, but they're both strong people who deserve each other and are good for each other. I was eager to see how they would resolve the real problems keeping them apart, and the resolution worked for me. ( )
  castiron | Feb 9, 2014 |
This was my first taste of Courtney Milan and I really enjoyed it! I'll definitely be reading more of hers now. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
Yes, I read this, and no, I didn't like this very much. I think liking a romance novel is really an exception to the rule for me, but somehow I keep trying. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.50 (Not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Governess Affair had elements that I normally hate but it totally worked in this story.

Overall Thoughts: Here is the deal: I am not really a fan of novellas and can only think of a handful of times that one has caused me to buy a whole series. The Governess Affair did that even with elements that I don't normally like. I will warn you that for a novella, it deals with a pretty heavy subject matter. It is handled with care and done wonderfully. I really enjoyed this and hope the rest of the series is as unique.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrator: Rosalyn Landor/Running Time: 3 h 50 min

Rosalyn Landor is my FAVORITE Historical narrator. I have come to the conclusion that she can do no wrong in my book. She has the perfect voice for historical settings. ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 30, 2013 |

She will not give up.

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in.

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love...

She will not give up. Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she's demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it's not the duke she fears. It's his merciless man of business -- the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke's dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn't stand a chance. But she can't stop trying -- not with her entire future at stake. He cannot give in. Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition -- a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don't work on Serena.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible