Existence by David Brin

Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:sf

Existence by David Brin

Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter (Aarontay)
    Aarontay: Another resolution of the Fermi's Paradox.
    Manifold: Space by Stephen Baxter (Aarontay)
    Aarontay: Another attempt to explain the Femi's Paradox.

English (21)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (24)
Packed full of ideas like a Brin book usually is, but I didn't think it cohered well, especially the last two chapters which took jumps in time away from the main story. A friend told me the last chapter was originally a short story so it may be that writing the novel around it didn't really work. ( )
  MikeRhode | Sep 26, 2014 |
The back half of this book was much more interesting than the first. Also: What was that monkey all about?
Read the rest of my review at SporadicReviews.com.

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
Big concept book with many exciting action scenes. The destruction of a Zeppelin, the person saved by dolphins, the political maneuvering, and anything with the Peng Xiang Bin character were well done. To be honest, sometimes I was not in the mood to read the 'big concept' parts: ways we are going to die, taunts to ET about contacting us, enhancing dolphins with human intelligence, collecting space junk, are we alone?, artificial intelligence, and SETI; just to name a few. I thought about them when I was in the mood, so all is good. It was a blast reading the Jamaican dialog out loud in my head. ( )
  mainrun | Apr 27, 2014 |
Waaaay too long.... ( )
  leo8 | Mar 28, 2014 |
The vintage Brin we remember from _Earth_ (1990) -- this novel is comparably long and epical, intelligent and idea-packed, lexically clever and agreeably organized. Set in a time some decades ahead and involving ubiquitous AI and VR, elevated sea levels, runaway economic inequality, a conspiracy to end the Enlightenment, discovery of alien artifacts housing the uploaded personae of extraterrestrials, .... Spectacularly good -- seems to me that no one should be capable of writing more than two tales like _Earth_ and _Existence_ in a lifetime.
1 vote fpagan | Jan 25, 2014 |
Those who ignore the mistakes of the future are bound to make them.

- Joseph Miller
To "Tether Joe" Carroll, who spins real space lariats . . .
and
"Doc" Sheldon Brown, who teaches time travelers . . .

. . . and Ralph Vicinanza,
who helped many dreams and dreamers to thrive.
what matters? do i? or ai? + the question spins
I.
I, AMPHORUM

The universe had two great halves.

Gerald Livingston is an orbital garbage collector. For a hundred years, people have been abandoning things in space, and someone has to clean it up. But there’s something spinning a little bit higher than he expects, something that isn’t on the decades’ old orbital maps. An hour after he grabs it and brings it in, rumors fill Earth’s infomesh about an "alien artifact".

Thrown into the maelstrom of worldwide shared experience, the Artifact is a game-changer - a message in a bottle, an alien capsule that wants to communicate. The world reacts as humans always do: with fear and hope and selfishness and love and violence. And insatiable curiosity.

Bestselling, award-winning futurist David Brin returns to globe-spanning, high concept SF with Existence.

Gerald Livingston is an orbital garbage collector. For a hundred years, people have been abandoning things in space, and someone has to clean it up. But there’s something spinning a little bit higher than he expects, something that isn’t on the decades’ old orbital maps. An hour after he grabs it and brings it in, rumors fill Earth’s infomesh about an “alien artifact.”

Thrown into the maelstrom of worldwide shared experience, the Artifact is a game-changer. A message in a bottle; an alien capsule that wants to communicate. The world reacts as humans always do: with fear and hope and selfishness and love and violence. And insatiable curiosity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:29 -0400)

Telepresence. Global security. Everyone watching everyone, all the time. Anything interesting draws a flash crowd of ten million eyes. One man in Afghanistan live-tweets a special forces attack, and the world tunes in. Revolutions coordinate online. And that's today! Tomorrow, you'll wear the Web, immersed in augemted overlays. Your aiware glasses will ID, name-tage, and tattle on each person you walk by, in a global village of ten billion souls.… (more)

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

69 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible