My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls by…

My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls (edition 2012)

by Linda Hays-Gibbs, Sally Odgers (Editor), Amanda Kelsey (Illustrator)

431,664,912 (4.88)None
Member:rubyandthetwins
Title:My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
Authors:Linda Hays-Gibbs
Other authors:Sally Odgers (Editor), Amanda Kelsey (Illustrator)
Info:Eternal Press (2012), Kindle Edition, 166 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:paranormal romance, 2010-2029, 90-95, author sent to me for review

My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls by Linda Hays-Gibbs

alone (1) angels (1) ballroom (1) blood (1) bodies (1) castles (3) demons (2) dog (2) Duke (1) fantasy (1) French (1) ghosts (2) grief (1) haunted (1) historical (1) horror (1) lost love (1) love (1) mystery (1) paranormal (2) paranormal romance (1) regency (1) Regency Romance (1) romantic (1) soldiers (1) terror (1) vampires (2) war (1) Waterloo (1) witches (1)

I have never been a big fan of the paranormal, however I am a huge fan of historical fiction. The author has the ability to weave both into one story and the characters come to life in the very first sentence. Pru is an innocent who quickly learns that life is not as easy as others would make it to be. She thinks she is going quite mad when her world is invaded by ghosts, demons, vampires and the like. But she knows deep in her heart that what she feels is real and those around her are not trying to do her any harm. Although the harsh reality of life is that she has lost everything and everyone that is near and dear to her, she does not fall prey to those who are after her for her wealth, beauty and innocence. She shows her fortitude by staying true to her beliefs.

After reading this novel I am now much more interested in books about the paranormal and looking forward to the sequel to My Angel, My Light As darkness Falls.

I highly recommend this book - for those who are fans of this genre and those that are not. ( )
  brenda.youngerman | Jan 29, 2013 |
Lady Elizabeth Prudence White - Pru to family and friends - is just about to have her "coming out" by Regency England standards. Her twin brother, Michael David Densington White - the sixth Earl of White - as her only surviving relative has enlisted to fight Napoleon, but Michael assures Pru that nothing will happen to him. At a ball held on the day that Napoleon attacks, Fearghass MacDonald - the Duke of Sumerled - much to Michael's consternation, introduces himself to Pru and asks if he may court her.

Word comes that Napoleon is on the march, and amid the ensuing commotion that this news brings, Fearghass promises Pru that he will protect her brother during the battle. Unfortunately, neither Michael nor Fearghass return. Pru goes to the battlefield to search for them and finds her brother's body as darkness falls. Fearing that she will lose her mind because she is so terrified, Pru believes that she is imagining the warm, strong arms that hold her during that long night.

Pierre Blanchard - a courier for Napoleon's army - realizes that he must return quickly to make his report, however he must first locate his friend's body. He is suddenly drawn to the golden-haired angel, weeping and wailing on the battlefield and, although he knows it's impossible, he loses his heart to her. Pierre promises himself that he will not reveal himself to her, but he knows that he has to see that she is safe.

In the morning, Pru persuades a passing soldier to help her transport her brother's body home, as well as the body of an unknown soldier whose dog wants his master taken with them. Pru and the dog escort the bodies back to England. Pru is destitute, and follows the dog aimlessly until he takes her to a crumbling, run-down castle. There, with the clandestine help of Pierre and the dog she has named Knight, Pru hopes to live in peace for a time.

Under God's protection, and with the protection of an angel sent from her brother, Michael; Pru has no idea that her display of grief had actually interrupted the original plans of something demonic. This presence has now followed Pru home to finish what it started - turning Fearghass MacDonald and Pierre Blanchard into vampires. Bound to this phantom existence by his promise to Pru and by the duties of his title, Fearghass MacDonald must guard this castle until the new Duke of Sumerled - his twin brother - arrives.

Fearghass MacDonald is aware that he was murdered, however it wasn't by the French. Dughlass must be warned that his life is in danger and then the darkness that has invaded Fearghass' home must be vanquished. Then, with God's grace, Pru would be allowed to freely make her choice between Dughlass or Pierre.

Dughlass MacDonald returns home and is totally amazed by the disrepair his home has fallen into. He can see that someone has attempted to clean up, however no one appears to greet him - not even Fearghass, who was supposed to be there. Sable, his brother's loyal dog is there to greet Dughlass, however, the dog appears not to recognize him. Dughlass has no idea what is going on, but he intends to have his answers from the alluring young woman who has just tumbled down the stairs, landing at his feet.

I really enjoyed this book and loved almost all the characters. I found myself laughing and rolling my eyes at some of their actions. There were twists and turns in the plots that grabbed my attention and kept me reading. I give this book an A! and look forward to reading Linda Hays-Gibbs' next book sometime in the very near future. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Dec 24, 2012 |
My Angel, My Light as Darkness Falls by Linda Hays-Gibbs is a delightful mix of regency romance, paranormal thriller, humour and adventure. Pru is an orphan whose only close family member is her twin brother, Michael, the Earl of White. When Michael joins the army to fight Napoleon's troops, Pru's Scottish admirer promises to watch out for him, but nothing goes as planned. From a sparkling ballroom to the agony of a battlefield, an across the sea to a curiously lively deserted house, Pru despairs, gains independence, is hassled by an amorous ghost, reassured by an angel, guarded by a bereft dog and finally... well, if you're like me, you'll be smiling all over your face by the end. I heartily recommend My Angel for those jaded by the kind of story where nothing seems to happen. Lots and lots happens in My Angel and Pru is a charming heroine.

My Angel My Light as Darkness Falls is published by Eternal Press. It is available from various on-line retailers or directly from the publisher's website at http://www.eternalpress.biz

Most Helpful First | Newest First ( )
  Rosedru | Jul 8, 2012 |
Pru and her brother were orphaned and being twins they had a special bond – the author put that to excellent use in later showing how much love there was between the two. Describing Pru’s heartache and devastation so extreme for a young girl who had never had to fend for herself. Michael had protected and provided for her every need. Pru was delicate, dainty and so beautiful it took most peoples breath away – beautiful and pure. With this in mind the author was able to portray, how such a fragile young woman survived, with the help of a few new friends, including a devoted heart-sick French soldier; a huge protective dog; a confused ghost; and help from the great beyond as goodness versus evil in a most wonderful and provocative tale with an ending I found to be FANTASTIC. Talk about a nice twist!
I don’t want to spoil the surprises of this marvelous tale by giving any more spoilers away, but the bottom line is that I was moved, emotionally and spiritually by the prose and beautiful imagery this author was able to convey. I strongly suggest and highly recommend that most readers of both historical and paranormal will find a lot to love in this beautifully rendered story.
Marilyn Rondeau, for www.ck2skwipsandkritiques.com
Reviewed By:

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible