Poison by Bridget Zinn

Poison

by Bridget Zinn

3194134,767 (3.96)8

This is a cute and whimsical fantasy story. Kyra and her relationship with her pig, Rosie, and Fred and his dog, Langley, are both absolutely adorable. There was plenty of action that kept the story moving, from Kyra’s interactions with the witch, fighting trolls, avoiding the army, meeting the gypsies, etc. There are quite a few flashbacks to Kyra spending time with Princess Arianna, and a lot of backstory is slowly introduced throughout the book. The slow introduction to the backstory is a nice way of creating surprise while reading. However, Kyra often came off uncaring and unemotional because we didn’t have full knowledge of the reasons she made certain decisions. I wanted a little bit more believability while I was reading. Overall, this was a charming little interlude amongst the more serious books I’ve been reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the world Kyra lived in and I was sad to read that the author passed with cancer, so I won’t get to live in Kyra’s world again. A recommended read for fantasy enthusiasts. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
A great adventure with a strong lead character. The book is fun, exciting, and unexpected. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
This book is a stand alone book (the author passed away before it was published) but reads like it was originally intended to be the first in a series (I wish I had known that before I started reading it). It was a cute and funny young adult fantasy.

Kyra is a sixteen year old potions master who is on the run. Kyra tried to poison her best friend (and the future ruler of the kingdom) for reasons only known to her...but for the first time in her life she failed in her attempt. Now Kyra is determined to track down the Princess and finish her once and for all. She has a cute pig that is supposed to assist her somehow and the assistance of a handsome adventurer that she bumps into while fleeing through the forest.

This was a very light read, but it a fun story with characters that were entertaining. From a language and difficulty level it reads more like a middle grade novel, but the characters are older and deal with more teen type of issues.

Kyra is definitely reckless and doesn’t think things through all that well. Her love interest in the book (the somewhat annoying but always jovial), Fred, is okay but not the most engaging character. The chemistry between the two is kind of, eh, but it’s okay.

I loved the idea behind the potions Kyra used and loved her being a potions master (it reminds me a bit of my job as a chemist). However the plot was pretty predictable and simple (as I said more middle grade than young adult).

Overall this was a fun, quick and light fantasy read that was entertaining but not fantastic. I would recommend to fantasy fans who like princess stories and don't mind some fluff. Think fantasy similar to books like those by Jessica Day George, Shannon Hale, or Catherine Murdock ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 7, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I thought the world building and characterization was great. I only wish there was a little more at the end, but it sufficed as it was.

I'm also extremely sad that there will not be more from her. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
For Barrett
The Master Trio Potioners' flat didn't look impregnable.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra, a potions master, tries to save her kingdom by murdering the princess, who is also her best friend, the poisoned dart misses its mark and Kyra becomes a fugitive, pursued by the King's army and her ex-boyfriend Hal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,990,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible