Poison by Bridget Zinn

by Bridget Zinn

A great adventure with a strong lead character. The book is fun, exciting, and unexpected. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
This book is a stand alone book (the author passed away before it was published) but reads like it was originally intended to be the first in a series (I wish I had known that before I started reading it). It was a cute and funny young adult fantasy.

Kyra is a sixteen year old potions master who is on the run. Kyra tried to poison her best friend (and the future ruler of the kingdom) for reasons only known to her...but for the first time in her life she failed in her attempt. Now Kyra is determined to track down the Princess and finish her once and for all. She has a cute pig that is supposed to assist her somehow and the assistance of a handsome adventurer that she bumps into while fleeing through the forest.

This was a very light read, but it a fun story with characters that were entertaining. From a language and difficulty level it reads more like a middle grade novel, but the characters are older and deal with more teen type of issues.

Kyra is definitely reckless and doesn’t think things through all that well. Her love interest in the book (the somewhat annoying but always jovial), Fred, is okay but not the most engaging character. The chemistry between the two is kind of, eh, but it’s okay.

I loved the idea behind the potions Kyra used and loved her being a potions master (it reminds me a bit of my job as a chemist). However the plot was pretty predictable and simple (as I said more middle grade than young adult).

Overall this was a fun, quick and light fantasy read that was entertaining but not fantastic. I would recommend to fantasy fans who like princess stories and don't mind some fluff. Think fantasy similar to books like those by Jessica Day George, Shannon Hale, or Catherine Murdock ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 7, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I thought the world building and characterization was great. I only wish there was a little more at the end, but it sufficed as it was.

I'm also extremely sad that there will not be more from her. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Trite, predictable, and a quick read. Nothing much to pick on, but nothing to squeal (ha ha!) about either. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
Nothing is going the way 16 year old expert potions maker Kyra planned. She is on the run after trying to kill the princess in order to save the kingdom. Now she has the help of a scent pig to track the princess, if only the annoying Fred would quit turning up at difficult times . . . ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 21, 2014 |
For Barrett
The Master Trio Potioners' flat didn't look impregnable.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra, a potions master, tries to save her kingdom by murdering the princess, who is also her best friend, the poisoned dart misses its mark and Kyra becomes a fugitive, pursued by the King's army and her ex-boyfriend Hal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible