Poison by Bridget Zinn

Poison

by Bridget Zinn

What I wanted from this book was a no holds barred, kick-ass potion wielding heroine who would take me on a journey unlike any other I've read before and that is exactly what I got. Kyra is a strong character who faces a choice between her home and her best friend. She chose her home and all the people who live in it and tried but failed to kill her best friend who happens to be the princess. Only one thing drives her now - to complete her mission and save the kingdom but what happens when a handsome young traveler named Fred and a small and lovable pig start inching their way into her heart? Will Kyra be able to save the kingdom or is it destined to be destroyed?

You've got a poison maker, a charming companion, and two animals that fall for each other. All are a recipe for a great fantasy, adventure read. Kyra was exactly who I wanted and more out of a protagonist. She had resolve and heart. The "flashbacks" to her childhood with her best friend Ariana really gave me a sense of the impact and seriousness of what she attempted to do and what she still plans to do. You get to know her well and know who Kyra is as a person. But, when I thought I knew her I got a big shock in the end so there's a little room for twists in this story. Her friendship with Fred could be pretty funny sometimes because Fred was such a charmer but without going to the dark side of being an overly confident jerk. No, that's reserved for her ex who was a potionist just like her. Fred was the complete opposite of him. He basically had no faults. I would have preferred not so many references about how handsome he was made by Kyra but if I were standing next to a hot guy I may be repeating those words in my head too.

I really liked that Kyra was a fully developed character and I got to know about her so well. I love that she makes poisons and that she keeps them in needles and throws them at people. Don't worry it's to put people after her to sleep but, she does have access to other deadlier poisons as well. So the poison making was amazing and I'm happy that it was mentioned so much because who wouldn't want to read about poisons or potions being made? I also really liked that we got to see Kyra let people in. Well, one person and one adorable pig. I didn't get the mention of a pig in the summary, on the cover, and in other reviews. What is the reason for the pig I wondered? She actually makes perfect sense once you get into the story thank goodness because I was so worried about this pig ruining everything. I don't know why I just imagined it being introduced in a not so well thought out way.

Towards the end or when around more than half the book had gone by the story seemed a bit rushed in some places. I would have liked a bit slower pace and not such a nicely presented wrap up. Although, I feel like this book was meant to be a series. I found out while reading the authors bio when I was later into the story that Zinn passed away in 2011 (later found out it was because of colon cancer) which is so sad because she made such a great story and characters and of course because of the family that were left behind. Poison had fully developed, strong, and likable characters with a great adventure to boot. If you are a fantasy book lover or you like the idea of a kick ass heroine I would give this one a try. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Poison was a fun, fantasy-adventure book. Kyra was a strong and capable heroine, not only physically but mentally as well. She could throw a poison dart with ease, the same way she knew how to mix up the perfect poison. Fred was neither Prince Charming nor a bad boy; just a cool guy who was nice and had a good sense of humor. I enjoyed the banter between him and Kyra. In the case of Rosie the magical pig, well, I happen to have a soft spot for animal sidekicks. Rosie was adorable and while Kyra was harsh to her at first, they bonded over the course of the story. I really liked the world-building, especially all of the magical monsters. The book was well-paced and had a several surprising twists. It's a stand-alone, and the ending wraps up quite nicely. I would definitely recommend this book to middle-grade fantasy fans. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Really well written. Engaging. Funny ( )
  rgrum | Aug 20, 2017 |
Our Book Club often chooses a Young Adult selection and this one crossed our radar further sweetened by "local author."

Maybe it's unfair to rate this down to a one-star when I am clearly not the intended audience: 10 year old girls. I'm 46 and beginning to identify with the wicked old witches. It was painful.

It lacked a lot in the story development department. But then again so do "tween" girls. [smile]

To moms I'd say, the overall message keeps you in the picture. The 15-16 yr old protagonists, after typical "three teens on a trek" -type adventures, submit to quite a bit of parental oversight. They also realize maybe they weren't as alone and adrift as they thought.

That's where I decided to call it "children's literature." There's a little bit of chaste kissing, some underwear-related embarrassment, and undeveloped "engagements" which reminded me quite a bit of going-steady and not going anywhere.

There might be a place for Poison as a Fantasy genre primer - particularly for a child who'd have a hard time sitting through Harry Potter, or Wildwood.

For now I'll leave it in the, "Well, if it gets even one kid who wouldn't otherwise read a book..." bin. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK! It's such a fresh and new take on fairy tales and with a badass female character that you can't help but like, also a cute and cuddly sidekick, this book has everything a person is looking for if they want magic, murder, fighting, plot twists, and just a smidge of romance thrown in there. I would highly recommend this book to people. It's one of my faves. ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
For Barrett
The Master Trio Potioners' flat didn't look impregnable.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra, a potions master, tries to save her kingdom by murdering the princess, who is also her best friend, the poisoned dart misses its mark and Kyra becomes a fugitive, pursued by the King's army and her ex-boyfriend Hal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,870,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible