Poison by Bridget Zinn

Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Trite, predictable, and a quick read. Nothing much to pick on, but nothing to squeal (ha ha!) about either. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
Nothing is going the way 16 year old expert potions maker Kyra planned. She is on the run after trying to kill the princess in order to save the kingdom. Now she has the help of a scent pig to track the princess, if only the annoying Fred would quit turning up at difficult times . . . ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 21, 2014 |
Oooh, what a happy read!!! *Smiles* Poison is just a spectacular read that most people will enjoy! While the plot is not deep or heart pounding, it is just so fun that it keeps you on your toes.

Most parts in Poison are easy and light. And in "stressful" situations (such as running into a witch worthy of Hansel and Gretel) the author add enough humor into the predicament that the laughing readers will be more worried about their aching sides than the characters lives!

I loved, loved, loved all the fantasy elements. I prefer daggers in my stories to potions, but still Potioneer Kyra's mixtures were pretty cool. Also, magic, witches, and pigs with spells are always around the corner!

Kyra is a pretty darn awesome narrater. Although I did have tiny problems about her trying to kill her best friend, but in the end you learn more about that :) Plus, the whole assasin thing fit the story so I didn't mind that much. Kyra is feisty and a lot of fun. I am pretty sure everyone will enjoy reading about her!

Fred and the pig deserve their own separate paragraph. They are both so funny, cute, and sweet. Rosie, which is what Fred named the little pig, is a real unique sidekick for Kyra! Normally MC's have cats, or dogs, or even dragons as sidekicks. Not Kyra. She has a sweet pig that I would kill for. Fred fits Kyra perfectly. They are both somewhat ridiculous and have awesome banters.

This book is switched from present to past. We learn about Kyra before and after the assassination attempt. I found reading about Kyra and the princess's escapades as children highly amusing and lots o fun! Especially since both girls were strong willed and unique.

Overall, Poison is a masterpiece worthy of that pink little pig shown on the cover. The adventures of Kyra and Rosie are not to be missed.

4/5 bookcases ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Though I truly delighted in every page of Poison, I can see where it might not be everybody’s cup of cocoa. It’s all going to depend on your expectations and what you’re into. Thankfully, I went in with fairly low expectations and a feeling that the book would be flufftastic. It IS. There is NOTHING wrong with some well done fluff, and I had a big grin on my face the whole way through, so what is better than that?

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Feb 18, 2014 |
This was a lovely lighthearted book and a quick read. The story begins with Kyra, a 16 year old potions-master, who is on the run for attempting to assassinate the princess... who also happens to be her best friend. Soon she acquires the most adorable little sidekick -- a small magical tracking pig. I know -- it sounds odd, but he has a cute little personality, and in my opinion, is a great addition to the story.

Over the course of the novel we learn the back story, meet some new characters, and read through surprising twists and turns. Some actually surprised me! I loved it. Loved.

The only negative thing that takes away the 5 star rating for me on this one is that it seems like the editing could be a little cleaner -- especially toward the end of the book. Things just don't seem polished, if that makes sense. But, in her defense, the author died from cancer 2 years before this book - her debut novel - was published, so I don't know if the editing revisions would have been better had she done them -- or if someone else even did them for that matter. It's sad to me that she didn't live to see her first book published... and also sad that we won't be reading anything new from this talented author. 4 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |

When sixteen-year-old Kyra, a potions master, tries to save her kingdom by murdering the princess, who is also her best friend, the poisoned dart misses its mark and Kyra becomes a fugitive, pursued by the King's army and her ex-boyfriend Hal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible