Defiance by C. J. Redwine

Title:Defiance
Authors:C. J. Redwine
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

I love the relationship between the characters. A must read ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I've been wanting to read this book for some time now, especially after hearing such good things about the series. I am happy to say I wasn't disappointed, Defiance was as good as I'd hoped. I really enjoyed, it had a lot of the qualities I like in a book, especially a YA book. Most importantly a badass heroine and a guy who isn't a total jerk. Although, female characters in YA Fantasy/Paranormal are always badasses and Defiance was no different.

Rachel and Logan live in Baalboden, a city created to contain and protect it's citizen who live under a strict regime by a Commander who rules with an iron fist. In Baalboden women are treated as inferior to men, women are not allowed to travel alone and only have to look forward to being passed on to another man when they come of age and continue the cycle of life in the walled in city. Rachel was not raised like all the other girls in Baalboden. No tea parties or learning to be the dutiful housewife. Rachel was taught by her father how to wield a weapon and to find her way through the treacherous terrain of her world.

When Rachel's father did not return from a mission out in the wasteland her custody was handed over to her father's apprentice Logan, who she hasn't spoken to in years, ever since he didn't return her declaration of her love for him. Seeing Rachel and Logan bumble and fumble, through their situation was adorable and very funny. These are the times where Logan gave the few comic relief moments found in the story. He was as clueless as any guy on how to talk to a girl about, anything really. He thinks about what he want's to say, but what comes out is a mess and he ends up pissing off Rachel because whatever he says comes out more like an insult rather than what he wanted to say in the first place. This fumbling of his just cracks me up and I end up feeling sorry for the guy.

Rachel eventually decides she will go out into the wasteland to find her father and bring him home. This is how Rachel differs from Logan. She doesn't really think things through first, she just acts and says whatever comes to mind. Logan's analytical and logical thinking drives her crazy most of the time, but I liked that she acknowledges her act first think later attitude against Logan's logical thinking.

One of the things I liked about this story was that there wasn't that instalove you see in a lot of books. We get to see that love grow from admiration on Logan's part, and on Rachel's part in realizing what it really means to truly love. I'm cool with instalove in books as long as long as I'm given a good reason and it feels genuine. But with Rachel and Logan their love grew from an eventual understanding, and trust and the writing clearly showed this progression of their feelings for each other.

I so appreciated it that Logan was not the playing hard to get jerk, he was the seemingly unruffled, and extremely loyal hero. I liked seeing how he calculates and evaluates his choices before he takes action, he tries to envision the outcome of a particular choice before acting. Oh, and this book is written in Dual POV first person which I did appreciate. It's really great when I can peek inside the head of the other person.

Defiance was a great read, I liked that I had a hero and heroine I could root for. The building of the world was intriguing and I want to know more about it. I can now say I wholeheartedly agree that this was a fantastic beginning to a what I hope will be an epic series.

My Blog ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Arrgh, this book. Why?? I was expecting more from you, and you disappointed.

Misogynists and giant fire-breathing worms. Strangeness and I didn't get why the main characters were so into each other. Blah. Just boring and nothingness and I have no desire to read the inevitable sequels. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
I had trouble starting Defiance, peeps. If not for fellow readers and bloggers on Goodreads urging me to continue reading I would have DNFed this book and missed out on much awesomeness.

Rachel and Logan's characters are pure unadulterated kickassery. Vivid, avenging angels in their blazing glory, who keep going in the most impossible situations.

The book is violent, explosive, reads like an action-flick and once you keep going you don't stop until the very end.

So, why 4 star rating then?

Like any action flick, Defiance suffers from lack of any decent world-building. I could not for the life of me understand the mechanics of the Cursed Ones aka dragons with no wings who live underground; what is happening now around the world... As I understand the book with its peculiar mix of dystopia and fantasy concentrates on North America. What about the rest of the world?

OK, you say, decade after the Cursed Ones came out of the depths of the Earth civilisation as we know it is destroyed. How? Logan fights one of them and finds out that explosions weaken them. You're telling me that military around the world couldn't use missile strikes on any of these creatures (creatures that do not fly as far as I'm aware) and then cut their underbelly like these two youngsters did? Mind boggles.

So, the world is destroyed by the Cursed Ones, now we have city-states with commanders protecting their cities from them, and nobody knows how. Again, when you find out how they do that, mind boggles at the improbability of the situation.

Here comes my worst pet-peeve ever. Subservient status of women. Are you effing kidding me? Women fought for equality for centuries and it only took 10 years to make them into brainless spineless creatures who do not know how to read and can't go out anywhere without a Protector otherwise they risk being flogged to death.

Rage, rage. That's what I felt.

I admit that there is a possibility of that, but still it takes only 10 years?!!! Not even few generations. You know what? I don't believe it. However evil that Commander was, you are talking about a tiny city-state. Just put poison in his soup and be done with the jerk. Find someone better or take your chances with the Cursed Ones. I would.

This is what I hated in Eve by Anna Carey, and this is what really discouraged me in Defiance. Look, if it was just fantasy I wouldn't have questioned it, but it's a dystopian as well, so there should be some sort of believable transition period between the world as we know it and what it becomes later. I didn't see it or it wasn't explained properly.

If you can get past it, the book is really enjoyable. Logan and Rachel together are a marvel. They communicate instead or shutting each other out, they share their grief and love for each other, they are true partners, equals with their own strengths and weaknesses. Rachel is a fighter, Logan is an inventor who thinks out of the box, although he can fight and track just as well if not better. Rachel is just far crazier than him, and I'm so proud of that girl! She was breathtaking!

So, I do recommend Defiance but with reservations. C.J. is a talented visual author who invokes visceral reactions from her readers, and I would definitely read any of her future books. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Defiance, C.J.Redwine's debut novel! It was full of action, suspense, romance, and a well crafted world. I stayed up a number of nights, later then I should have, reading it.

Rachel is not your typical Baalboden female. She's been taught by her father to use a knife and other weapons rather then sewing and the other womanly arts. She's beautiful, strong and brave and was raised that way by her father. It's being scared and insecure that doesn't come naturally to her, but she's that way for a good portion of the book. Her life has been turned upside down and she is doing all she can to survive. Life will never be the same for her and she is forced to accept that. She must face the new life she's given, with events that would have broken a lesser person. With the help of Logan, she learns how to have hope for the future. She's definitely a kick-ass heroine that readers will fall in love with from the start.

Logan, who's named Rachael's "Protector", is a bundle of contradictions that readers will love trying to figure out. He's a Tracker taught by Rachael's Dad, yes, but also a Scientist and a Tinker. He's smart, brave, strong, and above all, kind. He doesn't know how to deal with Emotions and he's so much more than a typical love interest. I enjoyed how the author has developed the characters of both Rachael and Logan, and how their love story develops through the book.
The secondary characters were a pretty good mix, although some then could have used some development. Oliver's a doting grandfather type to both Rachel and Logan. Parts of his story are told, yet some are left unexplained. Sylph is a loyal friend to Rachel but she is kept in the dark regarding most things. The Commander is a bully is a perfect villan, who I came to hate from the start. He has no remorse and no heart. I got pulled into this fantasy world and got hooked from the start. I certainly look forward to the next book.

Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Oct 17, 2015 |

When Rachel's father goes missing on a mission, her attempt to escape their walled city-state and find him brings danger, heartbreak, and a new romance with her father's apprentice.

178 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,938,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible