Defiance by C. J. Redwine

Title:Defiance
Authors:C. J. Redwine
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Rachel is a strong and capable heroine in a city where girls are prized for being submissive and uneducated. Missing her father and wanting to find him pushes her into a tug-of-war with the leader of her city and propels her into the role of resistance fighter. The references to the old cities is interesting - and there are people who remember what it used to be like, so this disaster happened relatively recently in the history of this series. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 25, 2017 |
I've owned this book for years and it just sat on my shelf. So glad I finally picked it up. I like books told with alternating narrators. Decent read. I'll read the next for sure. ( )
  JRlibrary | Dec 30, 2016 |
The TL/DR;

1) Started out slowly - very much so! About halfway through things finally got interesting.
2) That said, be prepared for a lot of waiting and prep.
3) There were a few things that happened that caused me to scratch my head and go, "but, wait, why?"
4) There are certain tech in this world that raised questions as to how they worked exactly and why they weren't mass produced. Getting into this would be a bit of a spoiler.
5) Overall, happy there was no love triangle, but I still found the overfocus on the romance distracting from the story.
6) One of the biggest problems that I had with this book is that, even though we have a strong female protag, when she's around other females, she doesn't seem to care to have relationships with them, they aren't very fleshed out. Actually, I found it a little concerning that when she met a brother and sister - who both seemed like potentially strong characters - we only get to see her interactions with the brother (potential love triangle setup??) than the other strong female. It left me wanting more.

I picked this up because I was interested in another book by C.J. Redwine and wanted to see what her style was like, while I'm not sure I'll be continuing this trilogy, I'll definitely be reading The Shadow Queen.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
You know what, halfway through this book and I don't feel like I like it yet -- I'm never going to like it. The idea sounded good, probably because the idea sounds like a few YA novels I've read before (eg: not super original) but the story just doesn't do anything for me. Life's too short to try and force myself to read a book I don't quite enjoy.
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
Mini Review
3.8

I read this book a while back and I really enjoyed it. I ended up reading it again and I enjoyed just as much if not more. My favorite thing from this book were the characters. Rachel was impulsive and loyal to the core. She had many good qualities but she had her flaws. She was a frustrating character, always ready to throw herself into action without a real plan. Luckily, she had Logan who was as cautious a grandma. They complemented each very well. My only problem with her was her realization of her feelings towards Logan. She suddenly realizes that she never stopped loving him. It didn’t bother me that much because I get that in order to get over being rejected by him, she had to suppress her feelings towards him. They were there all along, just very well hidden. Despite this, I think the whole situation could have been handled better.

Logan was my love. Really, we need more guys like him in ya. I liked the way Redwine portrayed his logical analytical mind. I love the scene where he sees her in a tight dress and his mind goes blank.

Rachel dresses in the bathroom, and when she enters the living room, I take one look at her and feel as though all the oxygen has been suddenly sucked out of the air.

The dress fits her. The neckline dips down and curves over breasts I didn’t realize until just this minute were so … substantial. I force my eyes to scrape over her trim waist, but in seconds I’m staring once more at the way the glittering line of thread along her neckline barely contains her.

Every man who sees her will be paying attention.

Me included.

I don’t want to admit my attraction to her is strong enough to rise above my grief and my sense of responsibility, but they’re breasts. And they’re nearly spilling out the top of her dress. I look around for a scarf or some other piece of cloth to cover her up, but all I have is a scrap of a kitchen towel, and I already know she’d never agree to it.

Which settles it. I’ll have to stand in front of her the entire time.

It’s just hilarious and very accurate. Even smart Guys like Logan aren’t immune to boobs!

The book is told in dual point of view. I enjoyed being in both of their heads but I liked Logan’s a little more. I don’t have a particular reason, I just tend to enjoy reading from the males p.o.v..

The plot was good. Frustrating at points because it was their mistakes that moved it forward but it was interesting . It felt sort of slow when they were apart but it picked up towards the end. That ending, though. Really? I’m still mad at Rachel and Logan for what their actions caused, but I’m excited to see how the author is going to move forward with the storyline.

Bottom line: This book isn’t perfect but it’s highly enjoyable. It’s a solid start for the series. I haven’t read the rest but I hope it doesn’t disappoint. ( )
  Kamilah.h | Aug 20, 2016 |

When Rachel's father goes missing on a mission, her attempt to escape their walled city-state and find him brings danger, heartbreak, and a new romance with her father's apprentice.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible