Defiance by C. J. Redwine

Title:Defiance
Authors:C. J. Redwine
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

When I first came across Defiance a few years ago I knew it would be right up my alley. I had just starting reading, and obsession over, dystopian books so it really was a no brainer whether or not I was going to read this book. However, for whatever reason, I put it off for a long time. When I first heard that Amanda was going to be doing a read-a-thon, and that this was one of the books I knew I was going to take part, if not only to finally get around to reading it. I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but for whatever reason me and book just did not get along.

It had everything I normal love in a dystipian book. The city controlled by a viscous dictator, people thinking for their self and not swallowing everything they were told, a sense of community and family. So why did I not become hooked like I normally do?. I love multiply POV in books, when done right of course. But the whole point of different point of views is because the people have different personalities and different things they can bring to the book, right? Well sadly I didn't get that from this one. It felt like Rachel and Logan not only had the same sort of thoughts but as they were on the same path and both had the same goals, I didn't feel like different POV was really needed in this book

The characters in this book just didn't grip me either. I didn't really anything towards Rachel. I liked Logan, but I think my biggest grievance was with the Commander. I know he was suppose to be horrible, stop at nothing to get what he wants no matter who he has to kill to get there person. But I'll be honest with you, at times it felt like the author had tried too hard to make him do awful things, that in the end he just came across as ridiculous and annoying to me. It's not like with President Snow from The Hunger Games, he was one twisted mofo but he did it in style. Snow was this intelligent man who would do anything for power, but he truly believed in what he was doing. That everything he did to get the was justified. The Commander on the other hand didn't seem to feel anything other than brutality.

I know that it seems like all I'm doing is complaining, but overall this book wasn't terribly and I'm hoping it gets better. The world building was good and I liked the concept behind it. I just didn't connect with the characters, and that's one thing that puts me, and a lot of people, off books. I tried to feel more for them, I really did. But maybe when the series continue I'll find myself drawn more to them.

This book had a lot of action and adventure and it had a lot of potential. It's not the first time I disliked the characters in the first only to fall deeply and madly in love with them as it went on, hell I didn't like Rose or many of the other characters in the Vampire Academy, I thought the bitchiness of it was stupid and too much like high school and was not at all sure I was going to bother finishing the series. But I did, and it ended up being one of my all time favourite's. So that's what I'm hoping for this book. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Set in a dystopian future in which humans live in isolated city-states where they are protected from monsters known as the Cursed Ones, Defiance chronicles the tale of Rachel, a young girl who defied tradition by learning tracking and fighting skills from her father. But Rachel's father has gone missing and Rachel's determination to find him is tempered by the restrictive society she inhabits, which forbids woman from even going out in public with a male Protector. Fortunately, Rachel's protector is equally determined to assist her in locating her father and the two team up to take down the city's commander. Fun reading, a must-read for fans of YA dystopian novels! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 10, 2014 |
Predictable, but interesting enough to make me finish, and despite that my pulse was racing almost the entire book. Although, I am aggravated that these days it seems all books, particularly dystopian ones, HAVE to be a trilogy. Not everyone can write a book worth becoming a trilogy. Why can't writers accept this? ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
Amazing!!! Loved everything about it and cant wait for book 2 :) ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Wonderful story with action-packed adventure, beautiful romance, and a fascinating setting. There was a great blend of high fantasy and dystopian elements, so this is sure to be a great read for fans of both genres.

Opening Sentence: The weight of their pity is like a stone tied about my neck.

The Review:

Rachel Adams lives in the city of Baalboden, where girls aren’t allowed to travel the streets by themselves, learn to fight, or be defiant in anyway, but Rachel happens to do all of those things. Her father is the best courier in the city and he has taught her to be independent and to think for herself, which is dangerous in a city run by a tyrant. When her father doesn’t return from one of his missions he is declared dead and Rachel is assigned a new protector. Logan is her father’s apprentice and two years ago Rachel thought she was in love with him. But when she told him her feelings, he kindly said he wasn’t interested. She has lived with the humiliation of that day all this time and now she will have to live under the same roof as Logan. Rachel doesn’t think that her father is really dead and he equipped her with the skills to travel the dangerous wastelands. So she will stop at nothing to escape the city to find him, but that would be treason, and committing treason comes at a steep price.

Logan McEntire has lived his whole life in the city of Baalboden and he has hated most of it. He never knew the identity of his father and his mother was killed when he was a boy for breaking one of the commander’s rules. Left as an orphan and an outcast there were very few people who were kind to him growing up. Jared, the city’s courier, took him in as his apprentice, which will eventually give Logan the opportunity to one day leave the city behind forever. But his plans change when Jared goes missing and he is named Rachel’s guardian. He will do anything to protect her, even if it means giving his life. He has always appreciated Rachel’s beauty and fiery attitude, but the more time he spends with her the more his feelings start to go down a road he never expected.

Rachel is such a great heroine. She has a feisty attitude and likes to speak before she thinks, which tends to get her into trouble quite a bit. But she also has a heart of gold and the few people in her life that she cares about mean the world to her. Rachel has a very strong will and when she sets her mind to something she accomplishes it no matter what the cost. I really admired and respected Rachel. She was by no means perfect but when she made a mistake she always tried to make up for it. It was really easy for me to connect with her as well, and I think that is mostly because I possess a lot of the same qualities that she does. I am also super stubborn, but the people in my life are the most important things to me. I can’t wait to continue reading her story in the future books.

Logan is such a great guy. He is super smart and spends the majority of his time inventing all sorts of gadgets. He is very confident in all aspects of his life except when it comes to woman. He has never really had much time for girls and honestly he likes it that way, so when he leaves the city there is nothing for him to go back to. Ever since Rachel claimed to be in love with him things have been very awkward between the two of them, and Logan doesn’t really know how to change that. I loved everything about Logan, he is completely swoon worthy and has quickly become one of my favorite book boys.

Defiance is filled with non-stop action, romance, and suspense. From the first page you are thrown into this captivating world and heart-stopping adventure. I had a hard time putting this book down and loved every minute of it. I love how Redwine intertwined high fantasy elements with a dystopian setting. The plot has so many great surprises and keeps you intrigued the whole way through. The romance was the sweet, slow burning kind, which is my favorite type. The characters were very engaging and easy to love. This book was a huge hit for me and I would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys high fantasy or dystopian books.

Notable Scene:

Some of my fury leaks into my tone, and I raise my chin. I don’t care. Let him know I’m angry. Let him see the bloodlust on my face. Let him look into my eyes and discover the girl he thought he understood is gone and in her place stands a weapon of his creation.

He turns his head slowly to stare at me, his scar pulling his lips into a snarl, and lets go of my arm to backhand me across the face.

I tumble to the floor and see Logan, sword raised, face ablaze, charge the commander.

FTC Advisory: Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins provided me with a copy of Defiance. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Feb 24, 2014 |

When Rachel's father goes missing on a mission, her attempt to escape their walled city-state and find him brings danger, heartbreak, and a new romance with her father's apprentice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible