Defiance by C. J. Redwine

by C. J. Redwine

Authors:C. J. Redwine
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

I had trouble starting Defiance, peeps. If not for fellow readers and bloggers on Goodreads urging me to continue reading I would have DNFed this book and missed out on much awesomeness.

Rachel and Logan's characters are pure unadulterated kickassery. Vivid, avenging angels in their blazing glory, who keep going in the most impossible situations.

The book is violent, explosive, reads like an action-flick and once you keep going you don't stop until the very end.

So, why 4 star rating then?

Like any action flick, Defiance suffers from lack of any decent world-building. I could not for the life of me understand the mechanics of the Cursed Ones aka dragons with no wings who live underground; what is happening now around the world... As I understand the book with its peculiar mix of dystopia and fantasy concentrates on North America. What about the rest of the world?

OK, you say, decade after the Cursed Ones came out of the depths of the Earth civilisation as we know it is destroyed. How? Logan fights one of them and finds out that explosions weaken them. You're telling me that military around the world couldn't use missile strikes on any of these creatures (creatures that do not fly as far as I'm aware) and then cut their underbelly like these two youngsters did? Mind boggles.

So, the world is destroyed by the Cursed Ones, now we have city-states with commanders protecting their cities from them, and nobody knows how. Again, when you find out how they do that, mind boggles at the improbability of the situation.

Here comes my worst pet-peeve ever. Subservient status of women. Are you effing kidding me? Women fought for equality for centuries and it only took 10 years to make them into brainless spineless creatures who do not know how to read and can't go out anywhere without a Protector otherwise they risk being flogged to death.

Rage, rage. That's what I felt.

I admit that there is a possibility of that, but still it takes only 10 years?!!! Not even few generations. You know what? I don't believe it. However evil that Commander was, you are talking about a tiny city-state. Just put poison in his soup and be done with the jerk. Find someone better or take your chances with the Cursed Ones. I would.

This is what I hated in Eve by Anna Carey, and this is what really discouraged me in Defiance. Look, if it was just fantasy I wouldn't have questioned it, but it's a dystopian as well, so there should be some sort of believable transition period between the world as we know it and what it becomes later. I didn't see it or it wasn't explained properly.

If you can get past it, the book is really enjoyable. Logan and Rachel together are a marvel. They communicate instead or shutting each other out, they share their grief and love for each other, they are true partners, equals with their own strengths and weaknesses. Rachel is a fighter, Logan is an inventor who thinks out of the box, although he can fight and track just as well if not better. Rachel is just far crazier than him, and I'm so proud of that girl! She was breathtaking!

So, I do recommend Defiance but with reservations. C.J. is a talented visual author who invokes visceral reactions from her readers, and I would definitely read any of her future books. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Defiance, C.J.Redwine's debut novel! It was full of action, suspense, romance, and a well crafted world. I stayed up a number of nights, later then I should have, reading it.

Rachel is not your typical Baalboden female. She's been taught by her father to use a knife and other weapons rather then sewing and the other womanly arts. She's beautiful, strong and brave and was raised that way by her father. It's being scared and insecure that doesn't come naturally to her, but she's that way for a good portion of the book. Her life has been turned upside down and she is doing all she can to survive. Life will never be the same for her and she is forced to accept that. She must face the new life she's given, with events that would have broken a lesser person. With the help of Logan, she learns how to have hope for the future. She's definitely a kick-ass heroine that readers will fall in love with from the start.

Logan, who's named Rachael's "Protector", is a bundle of contradictions that readers will love trying to figure out. He's a Tracker taught by Rachael's Dad, yes, but also a Scientist and a Tinker. He's smart, brave, strong, and above all, kind. He doesn't know how to deal with Emotions and he's so much more than a typical love interest. I enjoyed how the author has developed the characters of both Rachael and Logan, and how their love story develops through the book.
The secondary characters were a pretty good mix, although some then could have used some development. Oliver's a doting grandfather type to both Rachel and Logan. Parts of his story are told, yet some are left unexplained. Sylph is a loyal friend to Rachel but she is kept in the dark regarding most things. The Commander is a bully is a perfect villan, who I came to hate from the start. He has no remorse and no heart. I got pulled into this fantasy world and got hooked from the start. I certainly look forward to the next book.

Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Oct 17, 2015 |
5 Fiery Stars
I didn't think it would be this AWESOME when I picked it up. nuff said
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
This book was just okay. There was nothing super special about it. There were parts of the book that seemed forced and different characters' behaviors were not as expected based on characterizations.

I like the idea and the world of this book, I just don't think it was executed well. I may or may not continue the series. ( )
  forsakenfates | Sep 21, 2014 |
When I first came across Defiance a few years ago I knew it would be right up my alley. I had just starting reading, and obsession over, dystopian books so it really was a no brainer whether or not I was going to read this book. However, for whatever reason, I put it off for a long time. When I first heard that Amanda was going to be doing a read-a-thon, and that this was one of the books I knew I was going to take part, if not only to finally get around to reading it. I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but for whatever reason me and book just did not get along.

It had everything I normal love in a dystipian book. The city controlled by a viscous dictator, people thinking for their self and not swallowing everything they were told, a sense of community and family. So why did I not become hooked like I normally do?. I love multiply POV in books, when done right of course. But the whole point of different point of views is because the people have different personalities and different things they can bring to the book, right? Well sadly I didn't get that from this one. It felt like Rachel and Logan not only had the same sort of thoughts but as they were on the same path and both had the same goals, I didn't feel like different POV was really needed in this book

The characters in this book just didn't grip me either. I didn't really anything towards Rachel. I liked Logan, but I think my biggest grievance was with the Commander. I know he was suppose to be horrible, stop at nothing to get what he wants no matter who he has to kill to get there person. But I'll be honest with you, at times it felt like the author had tried too hard to make him do awful things, that in the end he just came across as ridiculous and annoying to me. It's not like with President Snow from The Hunger Games, he was one twisted mofo but he did it in style. Snow was this intelligent man who would do anything for power, but he truly believed in what he was doing. That everything he did to get the was justified. The Commander on the other hand didn't seem to feel anything other than brutality.

I know that it seems like all I'm doing is complaining, but overall this book wasn't terribly and I'm hoping it gets better. The world building was good and I liked the concept behind it. I just didn't connect with the characters, and that's one thing that puts me, and a lot of people, off books. I tried to feel more for them, I really did. But maybe when the series continue I'll find myself drawn more to them.

This book had a lot of action and adventure and it had a lot of potential. It's not the first time I disliked the characters in the first only to fall deeply and madly in love with them as it went on, hell I didn't like Rose or many of the other characters in the Vampire Academy, I thought the bitchiness of it was stupid and too much like high school and was not at all sure I was going to bother finishing the series. But I did, and it ended up being one of my all time favourite's. So that's what I'm hoping for this book. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

When Rachel's father goes missing on a mission, her attempt to escape their walled city-state and find him brings danger, heartbreak, and a new romance with her father's apprentice.

178 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible