Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, In the blog
Tags:BloomsburySyd

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)
Well, I know this book is loved by many people but I ain't one of them.

I did like it (barely - lol) and found it was very entertaining in a morbid sort of way. I also appreciated the fact that it held my attention (i.e., hard to put down). The author did a good job with the writing and the flow.

It is heavy on the angst - but that's not what I found annoying (I can do angst) I just did not like the characters much (although I did like Lincoln). I could now discuss my lack of respect for most of the characters in the story, but then I would have to start into the spoilers and that's no fun.

Overall I am glad I read it - maybe I was expecting too much and that's why I felt a bit underwhelmed by it, but it is pretty well written and very entertaining - if you are into abusing your emotions. It just wasn't for me - I need more shiny in my HEA. ( )
  PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |
Well, I know this book is loved by many people but I ain't one of them.

PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |
[Breathe] by [Sarah Crossan] was a dystopian novel where the government manipulated people to remain in power. The earth's atmosphere has been depleted so badly that the air can not sustain life. Or, that is what people believe. [Crossan] creates a world full of lies and intrigue but characters that are heroic and keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen. ( )
  MsHooker | Dec 30, 2015 |
"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--Provided by publisher.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
It was a good, well written book, which I enjoyed. My problem is overabundance of YA dystopians with pretty similar concepts. Particularly, Under The Never Sky comes to mind as something slightly more inventive.

The ideas of Breathe feel important, but I would have loved more explanation as to what actually happened to reduce the saturation of oxygen in the atmosphere that much. I would even take a foreword like in Terminator - a description of bleak, futuristic world and how we came to this point, plus the ever persistent question - what of the rest of the world? For the love of all holy, give me some idea of the global picture, not just one city-state.

Quinn, Bea and Alina are pretty decent characters, but again all three lack that desperate edge which makes dystopian teens so awesome. Alina is supposed to be the toughest of the bunch, but it's sheltered, pampered Quinn who has the most drive.

I loved the world of The Resistance and really wanted to concentrate more on their developing an ability to breathe in 6% oxygen. The leader, I kid you not, reminded me of Tilda Swinton as Sal in The Beach.

She's got that slightly unhinged, ruthless personality which allows her to keep her people under control and relentlessly grow the trees, her babies.

Ironically, it's the secondary characters which shine in this book: the villainous alcoholic Pod Minister, half-crazy Savage pensioner and a revolutionary leader of The Resistance. They were fabulous, and felt more alive than generic Quinn, Bea and Alina.

Pardon the pun, it might not be a breathless read, but it's a very good book, despite me feeling neutral about it. Give it a chance especially if you are a teen.

kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,251,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible