Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, In the blog
Tags:BloomsburySyd

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
After reading the premise and seeing this book's great cover, I was really looking forward to an amazing dystopian story. The first thing that threw me off was the shifting first person perspectives between three different characters. The chapter titles labeled whose perspective I was in, but there were several times I had to go back and check again because the voices all sounded the same. There was really no reason for this book to be in first person, and it would have been a much better read had it been in third person throughout.
Read the full review here: http://www.chimerareviews.com/books/reviews/breathe ( )
  ChimeraReviews | Mar 21, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this story, I especially loved that it was written from three different perspectives, it really allowed you to become immersed in all areas of the story.
Great pacing, kept me interested. I would definitely recommend it.

Full review on my website http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This was a fast-paced novel with a good balance of character development and world building. What I love about this book: The love story, the wacky kid and the gentle yet uplifting cliffhanger. What I hated: The bad guys, the sheeple and the evil herbicide. Verdict: Excellent! ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
In the future, three teens living in a pod with controlled oxygen find their lives changed forever after a chance meeting. Alina is a revolutionary who may get in trouble for taking cuttings of plants. Bea, like Alina, is an "auxiliary," one of the poorer people in this society whose smarts may just get her higher status. Her best friend, Quinn, is a "premium" who has never lacked for anything because his father is a higher up in Breathe, the company that provides the pod's energy - but is that all they do?

This first book in a series will appeal to voracious readers of the teen dystopias that have been popular lately. The chapters switch among the three main characters' perspectives, and the fast pace keeps you turning pages. The idea that the very air you breathe could be controlled in a world without trees and plants - or those in very limited supply - could be rather a frightening prospect but I thought it was rather simplistically explored here. There's also the requisite love triangle which, honestly, is getting annoying in regular as well as dystopian fiction. Even so, it left me wanting to read the next book. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 27, 2014 |
Fast paced, with short chapters alternating perspective, great for reluctant readers of both genders. Once you get past the issue of the planet getting rid of the trees (which led to their situation), I think it's a pretty realistic approach to what people will do to keep power (ie the corrupt company). It also does a good job portraying that those fighting the corruption may not be better in that they can be extremists too (I think that, while appalling, the resistance leader valuing trees above people is not unbelievable from fanatics. The main characters struggle to come to terms with these issues in a realistic way-what to do when neither side is right. I think it's much more relatable as most things aren't black and white. ( )
  vysseysreads | Jan 17, 2014 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.

"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible