Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (41)  German (1)  All languages (42)
Goodreads Synopsis: The world has no air. If you want to survive, you pay to breathe. But what if you can't? And what if you think everything could be different? Three teens will leave everything they know behind in Sarah Crossan's gripping and original dystopian teen novel of danger, longing, and glimmering hope that will appeal to fans of Patrick Ness and Veronica Roth.

National Book Award Finalist Kathleen Duey called Breathe "An amazing story! Sit down. Inhale. Now, while you still can." Ever since the Switch, when the oxygen levels plummeted and most of humanity died, the survivors have been protected in glass domes full of manufactured air. Protected . . . or trapped? Or controlled? Alina's a revolutionary who believes we can save the environment. Quinn's a Premium who's never had to worry about having enough air. His best friend, Bea, is an Auxiliary who's never worried about anything but having enough air. When the three cross paths, they will change everything. Sarah Crossan's thrilling and provocative novel is about passion, about yearning for something better, and about breaking free for the very first time. The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books proclaims it an "action-packed dystopian series opener to watch out for."

My Review: First of all, I’d like to say that I absolutely loved every minute of reading this book. It was an exciting adventure of standing up for what you believe in, tearing down the government, and being passionate about life, and I’m glad I finally got around to reading it. It’s unlike anything I’ve read recently, and the characters are really realistic, as is the world. I feel like it could happen, it was that lifelike and well thought out. I was hooked from the minute I started reading it and although my e reader died a few times reading it, for the most part I couldn’t put it down. There wasn’t many things I didn’t like about the book although as there is with everything, there were a few things. How Quinn only liked Bea after Alina and many other girls turned him down and he over romanticized her during his near death experience. How even though a tank was stolen, the army just gave up and dropped the whole subject after a while. I mean, it’s a tank. I wasn’t a fan of Quinn’s parents, although I think that was kind of the point, and I didn’t like how the Pod Minister didn’t have a name, he was just referred to as the Pod Minister every sentence. I mean sure, I get it, but he was more of a stand by character than a big authority figure. Anyways, that’s about all I didn’t like about the book. The world and the characters were well thought out and seemed factual, I mean as much as fiction could be, the cover of the book was beautiful and very eye catching, I loved that the characters grew and seemed to develop more throughout the book, and how they also acted their age. They also were very passionate about their lives, again like real people would be, and I also liked that there were three different viewpoints to switch from, so that you got every side of the story. It’s an awesome book and I definitely recommend that you check it out if you have the chance to. You won’t regret it. Thanks for reading.

(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Mar 5, 2015 |
Imagine a world where there aren’t any trees or oceans. As trees died and oceans dried up, oxygen levels fell and people perished. The Breathe Corporation rescued everyone by building a glass dome, called the Pod, and pumping in just enough oxygen to keep everyone alive.

Don't forget to follow my blog so you can get my complete reviews in your mailbox. Until then, here's the rest of my review on this great book: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/breathe-sarah-crossan/
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Hmm. A little shaky on the science for me and the characters were a little flat for me. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
For some reason, Breathe reminds me of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. It’s not the plot or the characters or anything, but it just seems similar in writing style and tone. However, I ended up liking Breathe much better. From a Dystopia standpoint, I find the world that’s created in Breathe well-done because it only seems unlikely, not impossible. Sarah Crossan bridges what’s currently going on in the world–the mass cutting of trees– with what could happen as a result in the future, and it’s frightening.

I liked each of the three main characters in this book. They were all sympathetic while still being completely different, and their development as the plot progresses is evident. Alina realizes what is exactly so important about the world she’s fighting for, while Quinn emerges from a sheltered standpoint to become an informed and incredibly brave character. Bea starts off the story willing to do anything to protect her family, and while she still has that urge by the end, she realizes the bigger picture that she wants to help the world achieve.

One of my favorite things about this book is the way the three main characters relate to their families. Alina is an orphan who has been fighting because of what happened to her parents, but both Bea and Quinn have a significant amount of interaction with their families. Bea in particular has a family that’s devoted to her and she to them, which unfortunately seems to be a rarity in the books I’ve read recently(with a few exceptions). Quinn’s father is probably the most interesting secondary character in the novel. He has this secret life and seems completely heartless at times, but then he does something and you realize he’s just an incredibly flawed human.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Breathe, I did have a few problems with parts of the book. For one, the narration switched between the three main characters. I like this technique when done well, but Alina’s voice and Bea’s voice were too similar and sometimes made for a confusing read. Sometimes I’d get a few pages in, realize that I didn’t know who was speaking, and have to go back to the front of the chapter. Also, while the story is well-told, some of the writing was a bit repetitive. Sarah Crossan wrote some magnificent sentences, but she also wrote some that were completely confusing and redundant. This wasn’t a constant, which makes me think it may have been an editorial error instead, but it was frequent enough to be noticeable. There were probably about 5 or 6 times throughout the book where the same word would be used in consecutive sentences, and it just threw me off.

There also seem to be a lull in the middle of the book. I flew through the first forty percent of the book, but between the forty and fifty-five percent mark I dragged. The ending, however, was phenomenal. It’s not a completely wrapped-up ending–there’s definitely a bit of a cliffhanger–but it does have this nice, quiet quality almost. It’s hard to describe how I feel about the ending, but it’s probably the most perfect way I could think of for a series starter such as Breathe to end.

Final Impression: At times the writing was a bit distracting, and I couldn’t keep up with the narration switches, but on the whole Breathe was an enjoyable Dystopia read that had a world that made sense. I really grew to love the characters and their developments the more time I spent with them. Breathe has a great ending in my opinion, and I’m excited for the next installment in this series. 4/5 stars.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.

"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,137,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible