Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Title:Breathe
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (49)  German (1)  All languages (50)
I was very disappointed with Breathe by Sarah Crossan. This is a YA dystopian book and I was hoping for an exciting, involving read but the plot didn’t hold together very well, the characters were not very interesting and there was more emphasis on the teen romance angle than in the survival story. I should have abandoned this book but I finished it because I was hoping it would get better as I have the sequel sitting on my shelves and because this was a book I was reading to complete a challenge.

Set in a future where humans have deforested and polluted the planet causing the earth to run short of oxygen. Humans now live under a glass dome and manufacture their air supply. People are divided into levels with the top level being the Premiums who have most things handed to them on a platter, then the Auxiliaries who have to work and worry about air supply and food. Outside the Pod are drifters, who don’t fit anywhere and the Resistance who want to overthrow the power and bring back the environment. The three main characters are teens and one is a Premium, one an Auxiliary and one a Resistance member. These three cross paths and set the revolution in motion.

I don’t know if I will continue on with this story, but I suspect not. This first book was as exciting as watching paint dry and I really don’t think I want to put myself through that again. Time to move on, I think. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 8, 2016 |

I won a copy of Breathe at the BookReads Giveaway and was very excited to read it. The premise (a dystopian world where oxygen is a priced commodity and humans can only survive inside a dome where oxygen is artificially created) sounded like an interesting premise.

Unfortunately I cannot say that I love it. I found the science behind the story not very convincing, the society as a whole not well developed and the characters lacking in depth.

But the story flows well and if you like post-apocalyptic stories in a dystopian, authoritarian society and coming of age stories with a little bit of romance, you may enjoy this one.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
I was pretty excited to start reading this book, but that changed quickly. The world building is severely lacking, and I couldn't stand any of the three main characters, so reading this book sucked. Quinn is such a moron about everything; he's more concerned about some girl he barely knows than, oh I don't know, his freaking best friend for years. His priorities needed serious rearranging. He even goes so far as to ask Alina's cousin, Silas, if he has a crush on her too. LOLWTF.

Nope. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 4, 2016 |
[Breathe] by [Sarah Crossan] was a dystopian novel where the government manipulated people to remain in power. The earth's atmosphere has been depleted so badly that the air can not sustain life. Or, that is what people believe. [Crossan] creates a world full of lies and intrigue but characters that are heroic and keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen. ( )
  MsHooker | Dec 30, 2015 |
"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--Provided by publisher.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.
(page 15)

Dear Ms. Whitcraft,
We regret to inform you that your recent candidacy for the Breathe Leadership Program has been terminated. We encourage all failing candidates to maintain hight scores in standardized test to increase the chances of being recalled next season to stage-one enrollment.
    Professor Felling

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,247,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible