Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Series: Breathe (1)

Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (50)  German (1)  All languages (51)
I purchased this book last year, during my dystopian love affair, but somehow I never got around to reading it. I finally decided to pick it up this month, partially because the cover caught my eye when I was looking for something to read! Unfortunately, the story inside the book just doesn't live up to the stunning cover.
My main emotion when I had finished this book was "meh", that was it. I didn't hate this novel, but I certainly didn't love it either.
This is the story of Alina, Bea and Quinn, their chance meeting, and their journey in a dystopian world where all oxygen has to be bought.
This novel is written in three point of views between our three main characters. I quite enjoyed this split P.O.V as it allowed us access into the characters, their situations, their thoughts and feelings, and their sides of the story.
I also liked the fact that all three characters came from different social situations; poor/rich etc. which added an interesting dynamic to the story, especially when your oxygen supply depended on how much you could afford.
Another aspect of this novel I really enjoyed was the writing style. Crossan has a lovely style of writing, very lyrical and expressive, and it was quite refreshing to read a YA novel that was written to such a high standard.
The main problem I had with this novel was the predictability of everything. The world was predictable, there was a government with a secret, and when our main characters discovered this secret they were changed and became revolutionaries too. When haven't we heard this plot line before? *sigh*
I would have also liked more explanation about the world. I'm sure this will be explained in later books in the series, but I still need a basic knowledge of the world to fully understand the story, and I felt this was lacking. I don't fully know what caused the loss of oxygen, how they built the big dome thing they live in, and other such basic questions.
Another predictable aspect was the plot. I felt like I knew exactly what was going to happen, and how each character was going to react before any of it had happened.
I also disliked many of the characters in this novel, Alina is the rebel who is trying to escape the dome and return to her rebel friends, and ends up taking Quinn and Bea with her. I found her to be quite annoying, she was supposed to be this strong kickass character (think Katniss in The Hunger Games), but instead she just came across as cold and mean.
I thought I could put up with Alina because Bea was such a great character in the beginning, she seemed kind and warm hearted, which contrasted nicely with Alina, they were polar opposites of each other. However she ended up being really frustrating as this kindness soon turned into her not having any opinions or spine, and becoming a huge pushover to the rest of the characters.
Quinn wasn't a great male protagonist either, the author made him out to be a handsome, generous, rich heart-throb but he just seemed like a huge douche to me. His fleeting crush on Alina was so superficial and he wouldn't leave her alone even after she said no, that never sits fine with me.
Apart from the lacklustre characters, there were also quite a few inconsistencies and questionable plot lines that didn't really make sense to me. The whole plot strand with Abel made no sense, will it be solved in the next books or is it completely forgotten, it feels like its forgotten! Also a certain character's death (no spoilers!) seemed bizarre to say the least, for such a important character it was glazed over so quickly it didn't seem real.
Overall I wouldn't recommend this novel, there are plenty better dystopian novels out there, and chances are you're getting a bit sick of them anyway!! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
I was very disappointed with Breathe by Sarah Crossan. This is a YA dystopian book and I was hoping for an exciting, involving read but the plot didn’t hold together very well, the characters were not very interesting and there was more emphasis on the teen romance angle than in the survival story. I should have abandoned this book but I finished it because I was hoping it would get better as I have the sequel sitting on my shelves and because this was a book I was reading to complete a challenge.

Set in a future where humans have deforested and polluted the planet causing the earth to run short of oxygen. Humans now live under a glass dome and manufacture their air supply. People are divided into levels with the top level being the Premiums who have most things handed to them on a platter, then the Auxiliaries who have to work and worry about air supply and food. Outside the Pod are drifters, who don’t fit anywhere and the Resistance who want to overthrow the power and bring back the environment. The three main characters are teens and one is a Premium, one an Auxiliary and one a Resistance member. These three cross paths and set the revolution in motion.

I don’t know if I will continue on with this story, but I suspect not. This first book was as exciting as watching paint dry and I really don’t think I want to put myself through that again. Time to move on, I think. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 8, 2016 |

I won a copy of Breathe at the BookReads Giveaway and was very excited to read it. The premise (a dystopian world where oxygen is a priced commodity and humans can only survive inside a dome where oxygen is artificially created) sounded like an interesting premise.

Unfortunately I cannot say that I love it. I found the science behind the story not very convincing, the society as a whole not well developed and the characters lacking in depth.

But the story flows well and if you like post-apocalyptic stories in a dystopian, authoritarian society and coming of age stories with a little bit of romance, you may enjoy this one.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
I was pretty excited to start reading this book, but that changed quickly. The world building is severely lacking, and I couldn't stand any of the three main characters, so reading this book sucked. Quinn is such a moron about everything; he's more concerned about some girl he barely knows than, oh I don't know, his freaking best friend for years. His priorities needed serious rearranging. He even goes so far as to ask Alina's cousin, Silas, if he has a crush on her too. LOLWTF.

Nope. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 4, 2016 |
[Breathe] by [Sarah Crossan] was a dystopian novel where the government manipulated people to remain in power. The earth's atmosphere has been depleted so badly that the air can not sustain life. Or, that is what people believe. [Crossan] creates a world full of lies and intrigue but characters that are heroic and keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen. ( )
  MsHooker | Dec 30, 2015 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.
(page 15)

Dear Ms. Whitcraft,
We regret to inform you that your recent candidacy for the Breathe Leadership Program has been terminated. We encourage all failing candidates to maintain hight scores in standardized test to increase the chances of being recalled next season to stage-one enrollment.
    Professor Felling

"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,706,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible