Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Title:Breathe
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)

I won a copy of Breathe at the BookReads Giveaway and was very excited to read it. The premise (a dystopian world where oxygen is a priced commodity and humans can only survive inside a dome where oxygen is artificially created) sounded like an interesting premise.

Unfortunately I cannot say that I love it. I found the science behind the story not very convincing, the society as a whole not well developed and the characters lacking in depth.

But the story flows well and if you like post-apocalyptic stories in a dystopian, authoritarian society and coming of age stories with a little bit of romance, you may enjoy this one.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
I was pretty excited to start reading this book, but that changed quickly. The world building is severely lacking, and I couldn't stand any of the three main characters, so reading this book sucked. Quinn is such a moron about everything; he's more concerned about some girl he barely knows than, oh I don't know, his freaking best friend for years. His priorities needed serious rearranging. He even goes so far as to ask Alina's cousin, Silas, if he has a crush on her too. LOLWTF.

Nope. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 4, 2016 |
[Breathe] by [Sarah Crossan] was a dystopian novel where the government manipulated people to remain in power. The earth's atmosphere has been depleted so badly that the air can not sustain life. Or, that is what people believe. [Crossan] creates a world full of lies and intrigue but characters that are heroic and keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen. ( )
  MsHooker | Dec 30, 2015 |
"In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea--an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears--walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?"--Provided by publisher.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
It was a good, well written book, which I enjoyed. My problem is overabundance of YA dystopians with pretty similar concepts. Particularly, Under The Never Sky comes to mind as something slightly more inventive.

The ideas of Breathe feel important, but I would have loved more explanation as to what actually happened to reduce the saturation of oxygen in the atmosphere that much. I would even take a foreword like in Terminator - a description of bleak, futuristic world and how we came to this point, plus the ever persistent question - what of the rest of the world? For the love of all holy, give me some idea of the global picture, not just one city-state.

Quinn, Bea and Alina are pretty decent characters, but again all three lack that desperate edge which makes dystopian teens so awesome. Alina is supposed to be the toughest of the bunch, but it's sheltered, pampered Quinn who has the most drive.

I loved the world of The Resistance and really wanted to concentrate more on their developing an ability to breathe in 6% oxygen. The leader, I kid you not, reminded me of Tilda Swinton as Sal in The Beach.

She's got that slightly unhinged, ruthless personality which allows her to keep her people under control and relentlessly grow the trees, her babies.

Ironically, it's the secondary characters which shine in this book: the villainous alcoholic Pod Minister, half-crazy Savage pensioner and a revolutionary leader of The Resistance. They were fabulous, and felt more alive than generic Quinn, Bea and Alina.

Pardon the pun, it might not be a breathless read, but it's a very good book, despite me feeling neutral about it. Give it a chance especially if you are a teen.

kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
To Andreas
Breathing is a right, not a privilege, so I'm stealing it back.
(page 15)

Dear Ms. Whitcraft,
We regret to inform you that your recent candidacy for the Breathe Leadership Program has been terminated. We encourage all failing candidates to maintain hight scores in standardized test to increase the chances of being recalled next season to stage-one enrollment.
    Professor Felling

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,848,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible