Adaptation by Malinda Lo

2633043,310 ()5
Member:gypsysmom
Title:Adaptation
Authors:Malinda Lo
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science fiction, YA, teen sexuality, conspiracies

Adaptation by Malinda Lo

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (knotbox)
    knotbox: A story of girls in love, a military conspiracy, inhumans, and friends who stick with you.

A couple of high school students are awaiting a dealyed flight home to San Francisco when dead birds fall from the sky. Before they board, CNN reports a plane crash, and then another. All flights are grounded after flocks of birds have inexplicably downed planes. As they rent a car and begin the drive home, they encounter clogged highways, closed interstates, and jammed phone signals. So a compelling political/SF thriller begins.

I could have done with more action (especially more public reaction to the crisis) and less romance (though it's good to see a sensitive depiction of attraction between girls), but overall I enjoyed this novel very much and will seek out the sequel. I do rather wish books like this could conclude without "tune in next tiem" though.
  bfister | Jan 25, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Just as Reese is on an airport and sees some mysterious birds drop dead, aeroplanes start dropping like flies. A number of crashes occurs in one single day, all apparently caused by bird-strikes. All planes are kept on the ground, obviously leading to a lot of panic in America. While driving home through Nevada Reese and her debate-partner David get a strange bird-related car accident. They are never quite the same afterwards...

So far, it looked like a dystopian novel, why are the birds doing these things? (Why does it stop after that day?) The rest of the book is less interesting though. The standard love-triangle is given a bisexual twist, and the big surprise
(spoiler show)

is already revealed in the blurb. I didn't really care for any of the characters. I expected more from this novel, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The solution that is given in the end for the crashes is disappointing as well.

I think there is going to be a sequel, but I'm not sure I'm going to read that one as well... ( )
1 vote Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Adaptation. By Malinda Lo. Little, Brown and Company / Hachette Book Group, Inc. 2012. 386 pages. $17.99 hbk. 978-0316197960. Grades 8-12.

Reese lives in a world much like our own – until birds start dropping dead all over the country and a surgery she receives after a car crash leaves her with some new abilities. Lo juggles teenage concerns and science fiction elements with grace: Reese deals with figuring out her sexuality, dating, and navigating her family relationships along with coming to grips with how a mysterious surgery on an army base has changed her body’s responses. The premise is interesting (although the work is clearly building to a sequel – an asset for some, an annoyance for others) and Reese is an engaging character, allowing the novel to be accessible for a wide range of teenage readers, whether or not they have an expressed interest in science fiction. Lo’s writing is gripping and suspenseful, and the plot moves along at an exciting pace. Reese’s world of government conspiracy is perhaps not so removed from our own NSA-tinged reality (unlike the distant dystopias offered by works like The Hunger Games): encouraging a little critical thought about the reader’s own current surroundings is a secondary quality of this enjoyable read. Recommended. ( )
  tierneyc | Oct 23, 2014 |
Adaptation is one of the many books I requested of Netgalley just before I took a year out, obviously I didn't get to read or review them so I'm trying to catch up and if you were to ask me why I requested it in the first place, honestly I couldn't tell you. My answer would probably just be that I was being accepted left right and center for things and it's something I took advantage of. Anyway like I said, I couldn't remember why I requested it, and when I reread the summary I wasn't sure about it, but in the end it was a book that surprised me.

The book is centered around two characters, Reese and David. They are on the debate team and on their way home from a competition when strange things start happening. Big flocks of birds are hurling themselves into places causing numerous crashes and deaths across the country leaving a flight ban, and people without a way to get home. After a while of sitting in the airport, Resse, David and their teacher decide to make their own way home. Chaos is everywhere, and after a horrible tragedy they kids set of by thyself, only to find them in a spot of trouble themselves. Cue them waking up in military hospital they undergo treatment to keep them alive.

As I haven't read any more of Malinda Lo's work I have nothing to compare this book too, as it's not similar to anyting I've read before. Though as much as I enjoyed this easy read, it unfortunately wasn't without it's faults.

The character development at time's wasn't there for me, I felt we knew a lot about who they were after the accident but not enough about who they were before. I liked the characters, not Reese so much but I love David, and could totally see why she had a crush on him only... he wasn't the only person and I'll be honest, I didn't understand the turn her feeling took or think it was necessary at all. One minuet she's pinning over him only to be hooking up with someone else and I just didn't believe it or feel anything towards it.

Though I love the story line and the uniqueness (if not only to me who hasn't read many book like it) I did find it to start of brilliant, all fast paced and action packed, only to slow a little towards the middle and end.

All in all it was a really interesting book, the relationships weren't always believable but for the most part enjoyable, the characters weren't fantastic but I was interested to see what was going to happen next and the ending was in a way predictable but still surprising. It had me hooked from about half way through (after deciding to put it in my DNF pile or not) and I am looking forward to getting my hands on the second book, I'm just sorry its taking me this long to read it. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I got a copy from Netgalley when the book was available as a 'Read It Now'

Well this one was different. I snagged a copy from Netgalley when I saw a blogger I follow on Twitter mention it was available. Especially sounded good after skimming through some reviews seeing it was YA with a very X-Files vibe (and I'm currently rewatching all my X Files DVDs so a YA book with a sci fi theme sounded perfect.)

And the book was pretty damn good. Got off to a really intriguing start and kept going. Full of action and while some of the scenes involving mysterious government and weird things happening required a lot of suspension of disbelief (particularly at the end of the book) it was still hard to put down.

Other great thing about this book was the love triangle. Right off its not hard to figure out that Reese, the female main character, has feelings for her debate team partner David, due to circumstances and reasons nothing quite happens and she's quite unsure of her feelings a lot of the novel.

But then she literally runs into a pretty girl called Amber. And they fall for each other! Yes! Bisexual love triangle which was great to see in a YA novel.I did feel that it was very instalove after Amber was introduced and she and Reese developed feelings for each other. Though in spite of that, it was for me, one of those rare occasions where instalove actually works.

One of the characters I particularly loved was Reese's mum. Reese's mum was a great character, nice to see not an absentee parent, but one with a personality who clearly loved her daughter. Involved but not enough to be overprotective and nicely realistic too.

It was particularly interesting weave of romance and sci-fi based mystery. And while I did feel at times there were points when the plot was a little far fetched, but overall it was a fantastic read and I will now have to go and find the sequel.

And the book is set in San Francisco so crosses of a Square for Book Bingo - Set in California or Florida.

sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
To my brother

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316197963, Hardcover)

Reese can't remember anything from the time between the accident and the day she woke up almost a month later. She only knows one thing: She's different now.

Across North America, flocks of birds hurl themselves into airplanes, causing at least a dozen to crash. Thousands of people die. Fearing terrorism, the United States government grounds all flights, and millions of travelers are stranded.

Reese and her debate team partner and longtime crush David are in Arizona when it happens. Everyone knows the world will never be the same. On their drive home to San Francisco, along a stretch of empty highway at night in the middle of Nevada, a bird flies into their headlights. The car flips over. When they wake up in a military hospital, the doctor won't tell them what happened, where they are--or how they've been miraculously healed.

Things become even stranger when Reese returns home. San Francisco feels like a different place with police enforcing curfew, hazmat teams collecting dead birds, and a strange presence that seems to be following her. When Reese unexpectedly collides with the beautiful Amber Gray, her search for the truth is forced in an entirely new direction--and threatens to expose a vast global conspiracy that the government has worked for decades to keep secret.

Adaptation is a bold contemporary science-fiction thriller from the acclaimed author of Ash.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:27 -0400)

In the aftermath of a series of plane crashes caused by birds, seventeen-year-old Reese and her debate-team partner, David, receive medical treatment at a secret government facility and become tangled in a conspiracy that is, according to Reese's friend, Julian, connected with aliens and UFOs.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,684,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible