Adaptation by Malinda Lo

by Malinda Lo

Member:lprybylo
Title:Adaptation
Authors:Malinda Lo
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Reese, dead birds, debate, bisexual, Amber, David

Adaptation by Malinda Lo

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Just as Reese is on an airport and sees some mysterious birds drop dead, aeroplanes start dropping like flies. A number of crashes occurs in one single day, all apparently caused by bird-strikes. All planes are kept on the ground, obviously leading to a lot of panic in America. While driving home through Nevada Reese and her debate-partner David get a strange bird-related car accident. They are never quite the same afterwards...

So far, it looked like a dystopian novel, why are the birds doing these things? (Why does it stop after that day?) The rest of the book is less interesting though. The standard love-triangle is given a bisexual twist, and the big surprise
(spoiler show)

is already revealed in the blurb. I didn't really care for any of the characters. I expected more from this novel, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The solution that is given in the end for the crashes is disappointing as well.

I think there is going to be a sequel, but I'm not sure I'm going to read that one as well... ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Adaptation is one of the many books I requested of Netgalley just before I took a year out, obviously I didn't get to read or review them so I'm trying to catch up and if you were to ask me why I requested it in the first place, honestly I couldn't tell you. My answer would probably just be that I was being accepted left right and center for things and it's something I took advantage of. Anyway like I said, I couldn't remember why I requested it, and when I reread the summary I wasn't sure about it, but in the end it was a book that surprised me.

The book is centered around two characters, Reese and David. They are on the debate team and on their way home from a competition when strange things start happening. Big flocks of birds are hurling themselves into places causing numerous crashes and deaths across the country leaving a flight ban, and people without a way to get home. After a while of sitting in the airport, Resse, David and their teacher decide to make their own way home. Chaos is everywhere, and after a horrible tragedy they kids set of by thyself, only to find them in a spot of trouble themselves. Cue them waking up in military hospital they undergo treatment to keep them alive.

As I haven't read any more of Malinda Lo's work I have nothing to compare this book too, as it's not similar to anyting I've read before. Though as much as I enjoyed this easy read, it unfortunately wasn't without it's faults.

The character development at time's wasn't there for me, I felt we knew a lot about who they were after the accident but not enough about who they were before. I liked the characters, not Reese so much but I love David, and could totally see why she had a crush on him only... he wasn't the only person and I'll be honest, I didn't understand the turn her feeling took or think it was necessary at all. One minuet she's pinning over him only to be hooking up with someone else and I just didn't believe it or feel anything towards it.

Though I love the story line and the uniqueness (if not only to me who hasn't read many book like it) I did find it to start of brilliant, all fast paced and action packed, only to slow a little towards the middle and end.

All in all it was a really interesting book, the relationships weren't always believable but for the most part enjoyable, the characters weren't fantastic but I was interested to see what was going to happen next and the ending was in a way predictable but still surprising. It had me hooked from about half way through (after deciding to put it in my DNF pile or not) and I am looking forward to getting my hands on the second book, I'm just sorry its taking me this long to read it. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
I got a copy from Netgalley when the book was available as a 'Read It Now'

Well this one was different. I snagged a copy from Netgalley when I saw a blogger I follow on Twitter mention it was available. Especially sounded good after skimming through some reviews seeing it was YA with a very X-Files vibe (and I'm currently rewatching all my X Files DVDs so a YA book with a sci fi theme sounded perfect.)

And the book was pretty damn good. Got off to a really intriguing start and kept going. Full of action and while some of the scenes involving mysterious government and weird things happening required a lot of suspension of disbelief (particularly at the end of the book) it was still hard to put down.

Other great thing about this book was the love triangle. Right off its not hard to figure out that Reese, the female main character, has feelings for her debate team partner David, due to circumstances and reasons nothing quite happens and she's quite unsure of her feelings a lot of the novel.

But then she literally runs into a pretty girl called Amber. And they fall for each other! Yes! Bisexual love triangle which was great to see in a YA novel.I did feel that it was very instalove after Amber was introduced and she and Reese developed feelings for each other. Though in spite of that, it was for me, one of those rare occasions where instalove actually works.

One of the characters I particularly loved was Reese's mum. Reese's mum was a great character, nice to see not an absentee parent, but one with a personality who clearly loved her daughter. Involved but not enough to be overprotective and nicely realistic too.

It was particularly interesting weave of romance and sci-fi based mystery. And while I did feel at times there were points when the plot was a little far fetched, but overall it was a fantastic read and I will now have to go and find the sequel.

And the book is set in San Francisco so crosses of a Square for Book Bingo - Set in California or Florida.

sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
I went into this YA novel with very little in terms of prior knowledge about the premise. Like a kid immediately and inappropriately attracted to shiny things, I was drawn to this book as a featured title on NetGalley (PS - Thanks ever so much to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this galley at no cost in exchange for my honest yet humble opinion). I've been sucked into an unexpected love affair with into dystopian YA lately, with half the rest of the world's readership, so I decided to check Adaptation out. And I'm glad that I did.

It was fun. I geek out on conspiracy theory in general - and I've always had a special place in my heart for X-File reruns - so NATURALLY I was STOKED to find out this novel had everything to do with aliens and Area 51. Throw in some ground-breakingly honest, guilt-free LGBTQ relationship exploration and coming of age realness - and I'm sold on a one way ticket to an ol' fashioned good time.

Reese kinda-sorta has a crush on her debate team partner, the hunky but intelligent David Lee. Of course, she is freaked out by her attraction to him - especially since she's sworn off any time of relationship after witnessing the train-wreck that was her parents' separation. After being defeated at the semifinal debate tournament due to Reese's anxiety about her feelings towards her partner, the two high schoolers become stranded far away from home when a series of events cause all domestic flights to be grounded indefinitely. Birds are attacking airplanes in unprecedented number, causing more felled planes and dead passengers than the government is willing to admit. The US is not the only country to fall under attack; the world is riddled with similar incidents that are too uncanny and too frequent to write off as freak chance. The fear of terrorism comes into everyone's heads, but their fears are just touted as just that - unfounded paranoia without proof or validation.

Deciding to rent a car together in an attempt to make the journey home, Reese and David set out on a deadly road trip that will change their lives forever. While avoiding a disturbing number of military roadblocks that force the teens to alter their course home, the teens face increasing hysteria and violence stemming from the unprecedented national tragedy that has yet to be explained or acknowledged by the world's leaders. Fleeing from the unexpected random murder of their chaperon at a gas station, Reese and David set off for unknown desert territory at a dangerous pace. In an act that, really, shocks no one, the car is attacked by (AHHH!) those very same kamikaze avian terrorists that took down the world's passenger planes, causing an epic car crash in the middle of the desert. Needless to say, the teens are surprised to wake in a military top-secret facility, where they have unwittingly received unconventional medical treatment while in a prolonged comatose state. Before being discharged, the two are forced to sign non-disclosure agreements about their treatment. They are seemingly healed...so why are both David and Reese experiencing odd symptoms? And what REALLY happened to help heal their devastating accident wounds?

As I mentioned before, there's unconventional romance aplenty - a nice contrast to the more science-fictiony aspects of the novel. I enjoyed it - and I certainly would have enjoyed more of the story - but I suppose that is to come in later books. What's with the series lately, YA authors? Why ya gotta make a girl read more than just one book to get the whole scoop? *sigh* Chalk this up as another series I'll have to follow up with. ( )
1 vote myownwoman | May 11, 2014 |
Reese is a seventeen year old debate team star who finds herself in the middle of a government conspiracy concerning aggressive birds, extraterrestrials and an interesting twist on the love triangle. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this Young Adult novel but will admit to being pleasantly surprised. The book starts out fast and even with some slower parts near the middle, I never lost interest. Reese is headstrong and independent but still uses her head to make intelligent decisions. The love triangle between Reese and her debate partner David and new friend Amber made for a refreshing take on the tired plot device even if I didn’t really find Amber all that likable. Overall, this was an enjoyable and interesting beginning to the series. I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LissaJ | Apr 4, 2014 |
To my brother

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316197963, Hardcover)

Reese can't remember anything from the time between the accident and the day she woke up almost a month later. She only knows one thing: She's different now.

Across North America, flocks of birds hurl themselves into airplanes, causing at least a dozen to crash. Thousands of people die. Fearing terrorism, the United States government grounds all flights, and millions of travelers are stranded.

Reese and her debate team partner and longtime crush David are in Arizona when it happens. Everyone knows the world will never be the same. On their drive home to San Francisco, along a stretch of empty highway at night in the middle of Nevada, a bird flies into their headlights. The car flips over. When they wake up in a military hospital, the doctor won't tell them what happened, where they are--or how they've been miraculously healed.

Things become even stranger when Reese returns home. San Francisco feels like a different place with police enforcing curfew, hazmat teams collecting dead birds, and a strange presence that seems to be following her. When Reese unexpectedly collides with the beautiful Amber Gray, her search for the truth is forced in an entirely new direction--and threatens to expose a vast global conspiracy that the government has worked for decades to keep secret.

Adaptation is a bold contemporary science-fiction thriller from the acclaimed author of Ash.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:27 -0400)

In the aftermath of a series of plane crashes caused by birds, seventeen-year-old Reese and her debate-team partner, David, receive medical treatment at a secret government facility and become tangled in a conspiracy that is, according to Reese's friend, Julian, connected with aliens and UFOs.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible