Adaptation by Malinda Lo

by Malinda Lo

Member:lprybylo
Title:Adaptation
Authors:Malinda Lo
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Reese, dead birds, debate, bisexual, Amber, David

Adaptation by Malinda Lo

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (knotbox)
    knotbox: A story of girls in love, a military conspiracy, inhumans, and friends who stick with you.

This book packs it all in: aliens, terrorism, government conspiracies, first love, coming out, avian disarray, loss, pain...You name it, it's here. Lo writes a page turner that leaves you shocked at the end of every chapter, and leaves your heart aching. Oddly enough, for me it was not the government conspiracies that felt improbable and unresolved, it was the queer romance. ( )
  GabbyF | Jul 2, 2017 |
I love love love this book so much. It's well-written and fast-paced, and I love the characters. I especially liked and identified with Reese, who is an awesome MC. She's sassy and independent, but at the same time knows when to accept the help of others. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel! ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
Fairly predictable but held my interest. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Just as Reese is on an airport and sees some mysterious birds drop dead, aeroplanes start dropping like flies. A number of crashes occurs in one single day, all apparently caused by bird-strikes. All planes are kept on the ground, obviously leading to a lot of panic in America. While driving home through Nevada Reese and her debate-partner David get a strange bird-related car accident. They are never quite the same afterwards...

So far, it looked like a dystopian novel, why are the birds doing these things? (Why does it stop after that day?) The rest of the book is less interesting though. The standard love-triangle is given a bisexual twist, and the big surprise
(spoiler show)

is already revealed in the blurb. I didn't really care for any of the characters. I expected more from this novel, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The solution that is given in the end for the crashes is disappointing as well.

I think there is going to be a sequel, but I'm not sure I'm going to read that one as well... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This is a book that would have been worth buying if I had bought it. I don't have much to say on it as a whole but I have a few points. Mild spoilers.

The info-dump near the end. It wasn't too bad but it just felt weird.

I liked that they went through the repercussions that telling the media could have. I wish she had decided against it.

I didn't see much character development but I'm not the best at spotting it. I wish that Reese being independent would have been shown before it had been said. The beginnings of her developing are there when she realizes she has to take her walls down but still. She changes as a result of the information given but I'm not sure if that counts.

I noticed the writing style change from Ash to Adaptation (I read Ash a while ago so) and I liked the change.

She treated the characters as individuals in and out of every relationship that Amber and Reese had instead of focusing on the relationship and that only if that makes sense.

Quiltbag yo! Also we don't have a super white cast so that's cool.

I liked how the settings got across and to me the dialogue flowed mostly naturally, I guessed on a few of the plot twists though.

THE CHARACTERS WORRIED ABOUT THEIR PARENTS.

I kept thinking this was dystopian when I started reading and got really confused. That was my fault though.

I also like how Reese having a crush was portrayed and the fact a main character is bi. Although she could be pan? Idk. Will definitely read the sequel. I have no idea what the snap was about. ( )
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316197963, Hardcover)

Reese can't remember anything from the time between the accident and the day she woke up almost a month later. She only knows one thing: She's different now.

Across North America, flocks of birds hurl themselves into airplanes, causing at least a dozen to crash. Thousands of people die. Fearing terrorism, the United States government grounds all flights, and millions of travelers are stranded.

Reese and her debate team partner and longtime crush David are in Arizona when it happens. Everyone knows the world will never be the same. On their drive home to San Francisco, along a stretch of empty highway at night in the middle of Nevada, a bird flies into their headlights. The car flips over. When they wake up in a military hospital, the doctor won't tell them what happened, where they are--or how they've been miraculously healed.

Things become even stranger when Reese returns home. San Francisco feels like a different place with police enforcing curfew, hazmat teams collecting dead birds, and a strange presence that seems to be following her. When Reese unexpectedly collides with the beautiful Amber Gray, her search for the truth is forced in an entirely new direction--and threatens to expose a vast global conspiracy that the government has worked for decades to keep secret.

Adaptation is a bold contemporary science-fiction thriller from the acclaimed author of Ash.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:48 -0400)

In the aftermath of a series of plane crashes caused by birds, seventeen-year-old Reese and her debate-team partner, David, receive medical treatment at a secret government facility and become tangled in a conspiracy that is, according to Reese's friend, Julian, connected with aliens and UFOs.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,179,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible