Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

Etiquette & Espionage

by Gail Carriger

Series: Finishing School (1), Parasol Universe (1)

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Kat, Incorrigible is set during the regency period and Etiquette & Espionage is set during the Victorian period but both are books featuring a young girl who doesn't conform to society's expectations and both are a lot of fun to read.
    Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A fun steampunk series
    A Lady of Resources by Shelley Adina (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are steampunk tales filled with strong and resourceful young women, humour, excitement and characters you come to care about.
    These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker (LongDogMom)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (kgriffith)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (kgriffith)
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (bell7)
    bell7: Though set in different time periods, both books feature smart, funny heroines who go to a school where all is not as it seems.
    Emilie and the Hollow World by Martha Wells (foggidawn)
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    Magnificent Devices 4-Book Bundle by Shelley Adina (SunnySD)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (binarydude)

English (168)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All (170)
DNF - Picked it up three times. Couldn't get into it. Sad panda.
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
The first in this charming steampunk series was available on Audible for $5, so I gave it a shot. I expect I'll read the whole series. It's pretty light reading/listening and quite entertaining. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
From my Cannonball Read VI review ...

So, I screwed up. Somehow I managed to read the second book in this series before reading the first book. On the one hand, I'm bummed as I know what happens after this book, but on the other hand I was happy to get some more background on the characters. However, having read them out of order, I'd probably say that there's now no excuse for the super quick wrap-up of the plot in the second book. I thought it was because the author was taking her time introducing the characters; turns out that's not the case.

This book is a fun, quick read. I'm on vacation right now and between naps and big meals I read this book in one day. I enjoyed the introduction to the character I came to like in the second book, and I liked getting some explanation about the other girls at this school, which is ostensibly a finishing school set in steampunk England, but is also an intelligencer training program.

One really odd component, though, was the introduction of the only character that the author felt it necessary to assign an ethnicity, making me think that the author suffers from the same color-blindness that so many authors have - her characters are white, and she assumes everyone will think they are white, so she only really needs to offer descriptions of the 'others.' I do not like that, and really wish more authors would create richer, more diverse worlds. If you're writing fiction, especially fiction with an alternate view of the universe, there's no need to default to the racial stereotypes and heirarchies that exist. Or, if you're going to, spend time dissecting those hierarchies and how problematic they are. But describing the one Black character by saying he was covered in soot and then having the main character express shock that he was from Africa once she realized that his skin was also a darker tone? That's weird and comes across as super ignorant. If the character making that observation were one we weren't supposed to like, or who didn't have any complex view of the universe, or if there were any more exploration of the racial structure of the society, maaaaaaaaybe it would work. But it really doesn't work in this book, and kind of pulled me out of the book for a while as I tried to figure out why the author thought that was an appropriate.

I think having read both books I still would recommend the series with that caveat; I think I might explore her adult stories set in the same type of world and see if she builds a more complex and diverse world there. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Booklist, November 15, 2012
  K.thoma | Jun 27, 2017 |
I picked this book up at my local Dollar Tree store. I had heard of this series before so when I saw it I just had to get it.

I have never read the Parasol Protectorate series so I was a bit unfamiliar with the world. Regardless, this book was still lot of fun. My only issue was that the ending felt rushed. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Apr 17, 2017 |

Carriger, Gailprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With eternal thanks to all those who finished me, at each stage, and in the best of all possible ways: Kathy, Carol, Harriet, James, Anne, Joe, Timi, Judith, and Tom. There is no job harder than teaching, and to be truly great at it? Heroic. And for Willow, representing for the next generation.
Sophronia intended to pull the dumbwaiter up from the kitchen to outside the front parlor on the ground floor, where Mrs. Barnaclegoose was taking tea.
"Werewolf? Bully! We don't have any supernaturals here. It's quite a dearth in the deanship if you ask me. Any reputable school ought to have at least one vampire professor. Eton has three. You lot are only girls, and you've a vampire and a werewolf. Jolly unfair, that's what I call it."

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners - and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's young ladies learn to finish . . . everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage - in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

In an alternate England of 1851, spirited fourteen-year-old Sophronia is enrolled in a finishing school where, she is suprised to learn, lessons include not only the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also diversion, deceit, and espionage.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,686,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible