The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

Member:anthroabby
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Tags:in library, young adult, paranormal, new age, ley lines, psychics, Virginia

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater has such good characters, they're interesting and believable. She does a great job of making the little things in their lives mesh with the big end of world type things. Her characters are intelligent in an age appropriate way. They're just so right and I find that to be such a rare thing lately it makes me incredibly happy. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 6, 2016 |
This review combines the first three books of Maggie Stiefvater’s series, The Raven Cycle.

Blue Sargent, a girl with a newly awakened gift, joins three unlikely companions on a journey to find the power that threatens to consume the lives of her friends, family, and the real world she has always counted on.

The story begins when Blue, the only nonseer in a house filled with clairvoyants and psychics, suddenly sees one of the dead during the annual churchyard watch. From that moment on, she finds it impossible to resist the conspiracy of two worlds, the magic and the real, determined to draw her in to the mystery of the plight of the spirit boy in the Aglionby Academy jacket. When a group of Aglionby students, known as Raven Boys, comes to her family for assistance in another supernatural matter, Blue becomes involved in a grand magical quest to wake a sleeping king that brings chaos and tragedy into the real world. By helping Gansey, rich and handsome yet so achingly human, Blue may save him-- as long as she can resist falling in love with him. Along the way, she gets to know the fantastical convergence of characters in Gansey’s life and finds them soon irreplaceable in her own. Ronan, as wild as his pet Raven; Adam, shackled to his past yet always struggling to free himself; and Noah, as insubstantial as a sigh, but the rock that anchors them all. The four of them may be on individual journeys, but each fate is inexorably intertwined with the fortunes of all the others.

I enjoyed reading this series on many levels. The story (across the three books that I have read) is complex, human, and brutal in its realism at times, yet perfectly blended with such magic (more King Arthur than Harry Potter) that it transports the reader completely. The characters are created with equal shares human charm, vulnerability, and mysticism, and are so complete that they stood in the kitchen with me as I did dishes. These wonderful elements come to life in the deftly constructed fantasy/real duality of the Raven Boys’ physical world. I am looking forward to the next book!

Read this series to be transported to places you have been (but never like this) with people you have always known (but never known them like this).

To Maggie Stiefvater: You remind me why I love to read. Write more! ( )
  avolm | Feb 4, 2016 |
4.5 Loved it. it was so different form the norm out there. I did not expect to really like this book after reading the cover blurb. It is not a book for everyone, it is dark and has a sharp edge. The Raven Boys took me to another world filled with danger, mysteries, magic and a slight touch of romance. This author has a gift of creating characters that I can't help myself from relating too and struggling along with them. I can't wait for the next book. I need it know but, I have to wait. [sigh] Cliffhanger ending.
The ending was my only problem with the book. I thought it just stopped. It felt like it was right in the middle of a sentence it was so abruptly ended. it felt rushed to wrap up so she could stop to get ready for the next book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A compelling and engaging read, even if all of the characters feel vaguely improbable as people. Stiefvater did a good job of setting up one twist in particular—I had the sense that something was off with one character, but didn't figure out what that thing was.

The narrative at least seems somewhat aware that Gansey is improbable, but not so much when it comes to the slightly too quirky Blue or the insufferable Ronan. If he really is Irish as the book seems to imply (and not Irish-American), then I'm sure his people would like to tell him to quit acting the maggot and get over himself. (Although if Ronan were actually Irish, I'm pretty sure he'd spend a lot of time teasing Gansey that his name means 'jumper' in Hiberno-English—'sweater' to Americans.)

Pretty much everything about the Latin though... all aspiring authors who want to include snippet of other languages in their books should know never to rely on Google Translate or on overly literal, word-for-word translations. That's the kind of sloppy stuff that irritates me when there are so many people out there who are Latinists and who I'm sure would be willing to answer questions about the subjunctive and posing questions.

That aside, I will look out for the second book in the series, but I'm not in love with it yet. ( )
  siriaeve | Jan 27, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. The beginning was extreeeeeeeeemely slow, but the middle through the ending was so phenomenal that you kind of forget about it. On the upside, it ended so well that I am pretty excited about the sequel (which is fortunate because I may be called on to read it for a March Madness book tournament).

The characters are beautifully developed, the fantasy elements are creative, and the dialogue is sparkly and smart in a Supernatural/Buffy the Vampire Slayer-y way, but I am lucky that I started the first work in the cycle so early due to the pacing issues, since it rarely takes me 20 days to read a single book. ( )
  LadyBill | Jan 23, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,111,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible