The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

1,9621943,466 (4.1)123
Member:anthroabby
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Tags:in library, young adult, paranormal, new age, ley lines, psychics, Virginia

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I went in having high expectations, and boy was I not disappointed. This book was everything I hoped for and more. I loved the banter between the boys, I love Blue's awesomeness and basically everything. I am so glad I decided to pick it up. ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
In the Raven Boys, Blue is the daughter of a psychic and lives with many other psychics, but does not possess the ability, but enhances other people's ability by letting the paranormal use her energy. She has been told from a young age by multiple psychics that her true love that she kisses will die, leading her to avoid men and relationships all together to spare someones life. One night Blue sees a spirit. The Raven Boys are part of a pretensions school, Gansey has been obsessed with ley lines and finding Glendower and with the help of his friends, Adam, Ronan, and Noah they have been coming up with new ideas and theories without coming close to finding them. With Blue's help and her energy the Raven Boys have a much better chance at finding the ley line.

It took me a while to fully get into Raven Boys. About half the story is building of relationships, characters, and the paranormal aspects. This is definitely needed for world building, but it can be a bit slow to read, but after half way though I was completely hooked. I was a bit hesitant about the characters thinking, oh another loner, special high school girl making friends with the rich boys, that's NEVER been done. It's been done to death, but really it plays a small role, it's more of a character trait that the boys go to a rich school and there's issues that arise from it, but are really going to lead to bigger problems I feel in the series and it adds context to certain relationships. The story is intricate with multiple layers of plot with different characters, Maggie does a really good job of keeping it focused and understandable, which makes the big AHA moments really intense. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2016 |
THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK!!! I don't even think I have the words to say how much I love this book.

I fully expected this to be a guilty pleasure teen read, but it's actually really good and REALLY well-written. The way that Stiefvater writes is really atmospheric, which is something I really struggle with when I write, so when I see it done well I really notice it. This book is packed with emotion and sometimes the force of it hits me like a ton of bricks (which I totally love; books that emotionally destroy me are the best). Reading The Raven Boys kind of reminds me of reading Harry Potter -- the stories are different and Stiefvater's style is different from J.K. Rowling's, but there's a similarity in how both authors infuse humor into their prose in a really subtle and sophisticated way.

The summary is really heavy on the ~teen romance~ aspect of this book, and while that is a major part of the plot it's not ALL that there is. There's friendship and family, spirits and ghosts, magic and mystery -- it has everything. ( )
  captainmander | May 11, 2016 |
3.9 almost a 4.

So. I am not sure what I thought about this book. Hopefully reading the next will make it clear. I liked parts of the story but I often found myself confused at what was happening. It had to do with the authors style of writing. I am also not a fan of the whole psychic world. It was not a book I would let my girls read until they were older. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |
I loved this book so much! I had heard a lot of hype about this series, and I thought the premise was right up my alley. I loved the characters, the tarot readings, the psychic abilities, ghosts, friendships, and Blue! I just ordered the second book in the series and cannot wait to dive in. ( )
  Detrick | Apr 26, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,973,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible