The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

Member:anthroabby
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Tags:in library, young adult, paranormal, new age, ley lines, psychics, Virginia

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Blue’s family are psychics. She can’t see the future, but can make their powers stronger through her energy. All her life she’s vowed to stay away from the boys at Aglionby, a private school for the stuffily rich she nicknamed “Raven Boys.” These two separate worlds clash when she has a vision that decrees she will cause the death of a Raven Boy named Gansby because she allowed him a kiss.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/the-raven-boys-maggie-stiefva...
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult

Henrietta, Virginia

Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother every year on St. Mark’s Eve. Blue’s mother sees the soon-to-be dead as they walk past them. Blue has never seen them until this year when she sees a boy emerge from the dark and speak to her.

A rich student at Aglionby, a private school, Gansey is that boy. Blue has always stayed away from the Aglionby boys also known as Raven Boys as they can only mean trouble.

For the first time ever she ignores her policy of staying away as Blue is drawn to Gansey in ways she can’t completely explain. He is on a quest that has drawn three other Raven Boys into it. Adam is a scholarship student that resents the privilege around him. Ronan whose soul has emotions ranging from anger to despair. And Noah the watcher who notices everything but says very little.

All her life as long as she can remember Blue was told that she would cause her true love to die. She never thought it would be a problem as she doesn’t believe in true love. Now her life is caught in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys. Blue isn’t so sure of anything anymore.

This is a start to a series that with this story proves to be very intriguing. While it starts a little slow the pace picks up and moves at a faster pace that pulls the reader into a world where the possibility of magic makes for a book that is very engrossing. The characters prove to be complicated and fascinating as they each deal with their pasts that aren’t as simple as they would wish. The emotional roller coaster that each character takes sucks in the reader as they get lost in each one’s struggle to overcome the obstacles that are in their way. While it ends with a cliff hanger of sorts it proves to be a good way to end the book and will have readers wanting to read the next book to see what is going to happen next and just how it will all play out. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 17, 2014 |
A good supernatural book for teens. Interesting group of characters. ( )
  AmberEgan | Sep 14, 2014 |
This was the second time I borrowed this from the library. The first time I tried, everything was slightly too annoying: a doomed love prophecy, the ridiculous names (rich, confident Gansey and Blue, non-psychic daughter of a family of psychics), and the stereotypical characters – damaged Ronan is furious after his father's death and Adam is their poor but noble friend who attends Aglionsby on scholarship). But after pushing through, something changed – I found myself fond of Blue and Ronan and Noah and Adam (poor, dear Adam! How could I have misjudged you!) and became really invested in the story. To be honest, Gansey is still annoyingly entitled and his condescending benevolence were not offset by internal struggle to find The Purpose Driven Life. Instead of endearing him, it made me want to take him by the shoulders and shake him. But that's acknowledged (by his friends and sometimes by himself) so I'm hoping he'll continue to grow in the next book. Which I am scared to read because I don't want to hear about any more bad things happening to dear Adam! ( )
  amy_marie26 | Sep 8, 2014 |
I flew through the first Maggie Stiefvater book I read, which was Linger, finding it lyrical, and original. I came across the Raven Boys when I just started following bloggers, and there was a lot of buzz about the second book. Took me a while to get around to it, but I figured I'd give the first one a shot. While the blurb was mildly interesting, it just...didn't completely grab my attention.

This book was very different from Linger. The plot and the characters were much more complex, it took a good third or more of the book before I finally got to grip with what was going on. The characters were very different as well. This book was based on psychics, magic lay lines and a welsh legend. I've read about lay lines in other witch themed books but just don't seem to get the concept of them. The magic in this novel was so much more in depth with the ley lines and the welsh legend a huge part of the story. The psychics were interesting.

I'm not recapping the plot because I think that would be too spoilery even to try to summarise)

The story was fascinating once I got into it. And again, I found it to be very original in its story telling. The writing was much more in depth, I got a good sense of story building and character development throughout. I couldn't have guessed where this one was going at all. It kept me hooked right up to the end.

I loved its differentness in taking some familiar YA concepts and turning them into something new and original. So definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.

And a square crossed off for Book Bingo challenge - birds on the cover. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible