The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

Member:anthroabby
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Tags:in library, young adult, paranormal, new age, ley lines, psychics, Virginia

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I love the way Stiefvater writes memorabl equirky characters, and this book is a great example of that. I am not however a fan of the unfulfilling ending that clearly is just setting things up for the next book. At least it is a super quick fast paced read that I should be able to finish soon. ( )
  klarsenmd | Dec 16, 2014 |
This book has a little something for everyone – its supernatural elements come from Blue being part of a family of psychics, though she isn’t one herself. Her power is that she amplifies what others can do. This book is a mystery too. Blue’s always been told by her family members that if she were to kiss her true love, he will die. And the prep school boys nearby are searching for a ley line where there may be a buried body of a legendary sleeping king of Wales. Blue has always thought these Raven boys were privileged troublemakers to avoid, but when they come to her house for a psychic reading one day, she’s compelled to help them. It turns out they have their own family troubles too. This all makes for a suspenseful and complex story. ( )
  readerspeak | Dec 12, 2014 |
Loved this book! Now I have read Maggie Stiefvater's other book series, but I didn't have The Raven Cycle on my list. I seen my library had it on audio book, so I thought I'd give it a try. Should have known it was gonna be a good one. Once I started I couldn't stop Blue and the Raven boys are exciting characters. The Raven Boys has a little bit of everything. I loved the mystery & magick aspect to the story. Definitely one of my favorite YA reads this year. I can't wait to jump back into this world

The Raven Boys is narrated by actor, Will Patton. This is the second time I've listened to a audiobook he's narrated. I just love his voice. He embodies the characters so fully.

(audio review) ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Blue Sargent has grown up knowing she can’t kiss her true love or she’ll kill him. She’s made peace with this fact, especially considering her proximity to the Raven Boys, students at the nearby elite Aglionby School, who have a reputation of arrogance, superficiality and materialism, at best, and just downright immoral, at worst.

Through a series of events, Blue finds herself drawn to a group of vastly different four Raven Boys: charismatic Gansey, antagonistic Ronan, ambitious Adam, and perpetually sad Noah. These boys are on a mission to find the tomb of the ancient Welsh king Glendower, who they believe is buried in their town of Henrietta, Virginia. Henrietta holds a lot of secrets, and the boys are hoping that the lost king, who is rumored to bestow a wish on those who find him, is one of them.

Although the plot of this book is solid enough, it’s truly the characters--and the relationship between them--that makes this book stand out. Each character is fantastically developed, and at times, the plot seems to almost take a backseat to the engaging characters.

The Raven Boys is the first in a planned quartet, so even if the plot doesn’t pull readers in, readers will be eagerly invested in knowing what happens to the characters they’ll undoubtedly grow to love. Highly recommended. Grades 9 and up. ( )
  krmajor | Dec 7, 2014 |
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve, Blue.. Either you’re his true love,” Neeve said, “or you killed him.”

In my years as a bookworm, I’ve read many YA novels, but I’ve never read anything quite like Maggie Stiefvater. Even though The Raven Cycle didn’t have as much action as I thought it would, it became a novel I obsessed over fairly quickly. The writing is mysterious and gothic, and incredibly riveting. I woke up the morning of determined to get things done and before I knew it, I spent the whole day in bed, starting and finishing this novel...I pretty much read it all in one sitting. Nothing was more important than figuring out what was going to happen to my new favorite characters!

Blue

“She wasn’t interested in telling other people’s futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

Blue is the only “normal” in a family full of psychics. She doesn’t have the sight, she can’t see or speak to ghosts, all she can do is amplify the gifts of seers around her. To make matters worse, she can’t even act like the teenage girl she is, because she’s been prophesied to kill her to kill her one true love by kiss. . . (what a way to die, though!) and now that she knows the identity of her ever-mysterious “true love,” the danger of causing his death is more present than ever. But when she is given the opportunity to help him and the Raven boys find Owen Glendower, a lost noble from medieval Welsh whom some say is still alive by magical means, how can she say no to the only magical adventure she’ll ever experience firsthand?

Can you imagine knowing that the first time you kiss your true love, you’ll cause his death? That would put me off kissing (boys) forever! Blue’s character was a lot of fun. She’s quirky and unique in her own ways, but also the same as most teenage girls. Everyone at some point has desired to be like everybody else. Blue sees herself as the black sheep of the family, the only female in her family to be born without seer abilities. Though she may have no ability to see the future, she can amplify the seer’s gifts and I think that's pretty cool, too!

Gansley

Gansley is a student at Aglionby Academy, an all-boy school for the rich. He spends most of the time with his head stuck in books, and doesn’t understand how much emphasis most people put on money. . . and how offended they get when he offers to pay their way for them. He’s spent his whole life searching for treasure of a lost Welsh noble who fought against England during the medieval times. I had a great time learning about Gansley’s past and what made him so determined to find the treasure of a man who may never have existed in the first place. Not only is he a romantic at heart, but he’s also the glue that holds the Raven Boys together. The groups’ dynamic is so interested to learn about, and it’s interesting to note they are all so different from one another that they probably shouldn’t even be friends. Hell, most of them act like they don’t like each other, but some how they came to care for one another. Its a complicated relationship. . . thank goodness I like complicated!

Adam

All the Raven Boys are interesting, but Adam is one mystery I can’t wait to dig more into. He’s a scholarship with a severely abusive father. He wants to leave home so bad, but he can’t stand up to his father, and he wants to leave home on his own. He won’t accept the “handouts” Gansley offers him, and he won’t even think of moving in with him. . . and yet they are best friends? Hummm. Like I said, complicated.

Ronan

I didn’t learn nearly enough about Ronan to appease my curiosity, and most of it I can’t share or my review would be riddled with spoilers, however I will say I didn’t much like him in this book. I’d say he’s the anti-hero, and I’ll be interested to see if Stiefvater redeems him in the next story, which I’ve heard is pretty much all about him.

Noah

I just knew there was something up with Noah ever since he was introduced into the story. He’s a hermit, practically never leaves the house unless forced to, and yet he’s a student going to a rather strict private school for rich young boys? There was always something fishy about him, and I think it’s funny his own friends didn’t realize! I will say he is adorable and one of my favorite characters. I hope he makes an appearance in the new couple of books, because he is just so damn cute!

With every chapter of this book I read, I gained a new question. While The Raven Cycle didn’t have much going on in the way of action until most of the book was finished, Stiefvater leans heavily on the development of important characters (not just the main characters, either!), and in doing so, deepening the intrigue. I can’t wait to see how Dream Thieves plays out - if my friends are right, the series only gets better!

Thank you too ALL the fans of The Raven Cycle series who encouraged me to read this! Everybody else who is dragging at the heels to pick up this book, I dare you to buy, steal, or borrow a copy now! (just kidding, stealing is bad! don’t do that!) ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Dec 3, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,334,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible