The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

1,9041903,597 (4.11)123
Member:anthroabby
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Tags:in library, young adult, paranormal, new age, ley lines, psychics, Virginia

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I loved this book so much! I had heard a lot of hype about this series, and I thought the premise was right up my alley. I loved the characters, the tarot readings, the psychic abilities, ghosts, friendships, and Blue! I just ordered the second book in the series and cannot wait to dive in. ( )
  Detrick | Apr 26, 2016 |
I just randomly decided to read this and I'm very happy I did. It was fantastic, an unexpected new favorite. I thought the writing strange at first, not in a bad way, it was a little different for me, I had to re-read a paragraph or two at first to get accustomed to it. Wasn't sure if I was grasping what I read but I thought it was very interesting and refreshing.

The best things about this book are the wonderfully created characters. I loved Blue, she is eccentric and eclectic, I don't think she has a shallow bone in her body, even if she was insecure about her looks or style I would still consider that a teetering on shallow. Blue was the opposite, she doesn't seem to worry about what others think of her shabby chic style or what they think of her. Blue's home life is as eccentric as she herself and definitely makes her unique but doesn't define her.

And the Raven boys, Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah, not what I would have expected of privileged boys attending a so-called pre-Ivy League all boys high school. While most of these boys are privileged, and it comes out sometimes, as you get to know them you realize that no offense should be taken and that what you see is what you get. They all have some kind of personal baggage that rears it's ugly head at times but that flawed quality just make them seem more real. Gansey, privileged as heck but doesn't wear it on his sleeves. Cares a lot about his friends and tends to get himself in trouble when he speaks. His entitled upbringing is always on the tip of his tongue in an accidental or unknowing way. Adam, far from privileged, is desperate to be seen as an equal in the eyes of his friends, doesn't freeload and feels stuck in a bad situation. Ronan, secrets keeps him angry, distant and untrustworthy of others. Noah, always seems to know things the others don't know, the most secretive but most lovable one of the group.

As for the story, I like the originality, yes psychics, but no vampires, werewolves, or demons, except maybe a villain or two. Blue didn't plan on having anything to do with the boys from Aglionby private school, she didn't plan on having anything to do with boys period. Blue made judgement's about the boys that attend Aglionby but then she finds out her future is possibly linked to a boy from said school. Blue and the Raven boys lives become entwined when they come together for a common goal. The story kept growing and new revelations and secrets appear making it more exciting and intriguing. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Ended up reading the plot on Wikipedia because I just couldn't get into this book. The writing was good and the plot was interesting, I suppose, but I just didn't care about the characters or where the story was going at all. DNF, so no rating.
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
[b:The Raven Boys|17675462|The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1415182016s/17675462.jpg|18970934] is rather weird at first with that vague writing style when you don't know who is who and who says what, paranormal entities and the way main characters cope with...hmm...the issue of death. But as soon as you get the basics you stop raising brows. Moreover, it is the characters who help you adapt very fast. That's the best part of Maggie Stiefvater's plotting, actually - there's no beating around the bush. No irritating secrets when you beg the character to spill it out already and no sighs of disbelief that last for eternity. Everything is clear and simple. For example,
Blue sees Gansey's spirit and reveals it to him just as soon as she knows who he is. Adam is poor and takes no time playing big money around Blue. Or, my favorite, boys discover that Noah is a ghost and everyone is like 'ok, now we know why you never eat'. Although "Whaaat?!" was my first natural response, I really loved it.

Another great thing is well-rounded characters and the way the author lets us into their minds, their aspirations and fears. Although belonging to one school, sharing one aim and, well, being close friends, they all have different backgrounds and different motives for following Gansey in his search for Glendower. And no matter how bad/stupid/ reckless they act, you come to understand why this is right and natural for them. I didn't really care much for Blue, though. Being the only girl in the story you might think she'll have a special treatment from Stiefvater, but somehow she was presented less - at least for me.

Oh, and one last pleasant surprise about the book. Despite the introduction to the book (and several negative reviews), I found no to-kiss-or-not-to-kiss drama. I mean, no drama at all. There were several moments concerning Blue's lethal smooch, but it never grew to become and obsessive compulsive thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that the damned kiss will eventually happen somewhere further in the series, but we are spared of it in this installment.

To sum everything up: The writing is strange. The plotting is simple, but irritation-free. The story is interesting. Book 2 is very likely to appear in my to-read list. ( )
  vira_t | Mar 29, 2016 |
A few years ago, I read The Wolves of Mercy Fall series which was cute but didn't rock my world, I liked the first book but the rest of the series wasn't what I expected. I wasn't sure if I was ever going to pick up a Maggie Stiefvater book again.

But lucky, this year I'm trying to never use the word "No". The first thing that attracted me to this book was the cover art and title. It was so artistic and it reminded me why I liked Shiver so much, it was the poetic artistic side of the book.

This book is turning up to be so good so far, the first few chapters were magical, the characters names and Blue Sargent's family are so interesting. Let's see how it goes.

The story is poetic, Blue's family are so eccentric, I loved them, my favorite male character was Gansey... I didn't get why everyone didn't like him instantly, I thought he was very charming. I did like the book but again I didn't love it. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible