The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

Member:kathleen.morrow
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:**
Tags:Young Adult, Paranormal

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Recently added byteonirichards, sweyenberg, private library, JamesLibrary, Vogar1, AlllyCat, ErinD, hannahchristine

I was in from the very moment I read the first line....'Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.' Maggie Stiefvater is a sucker for these lines, I knew from the start I would not put this book down. God damn it I was meant to go out with friends, oh well (kinda thing) and as books go it only gets better as you read!

I want Blue's family as my own. My mum reads tarots amazingly, but a full family under one roof WOW. I love her house, I love the way they are together, basically I love it all.

St Mark's Eve, Church yard, ghosts of the not yet dead. OMG! YES! Blue can see a boy's spirit though she can't see the others.... She asked, "will you tell me your name?"................. "Gansey", he said....... "Is that all?" she whispered.
Gansey closed his eyes. "That's all there is."

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love," Neeve said, "or you kill him." ..... Maggie you are trying to kill me!! She is going to kill her true love. Death by kiss. What!

Then the boys are introduced. Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah. They remind me of stand by me. That kind of innocence but not innocence at the same time. They know what they are doing and nothing is going to stop them. I love the wildness of it all. Boys being boys plan and simple. So cool when someone gets it so spot on.

I know from half way what I want Gansey to be to Blue. Adam with Blue just annoys me. I love Adam but just as who he is.
You find yourself wanting more Ronan and I feel you need more Noah to really love him.

The group love each other and that is brilliant to be a part of, even if you are just reading. GO AND BUY THESE BOOKS RIGHT AWAY!!
None of my friends read. Which make me depressed, I've been dying to tell someone to read The Raven Boy's for agesss..... ( )
  darceypaige | Apr 27, 2015 |
I had started and stopped reading this one a few times, but when Bout of Books rolled around and the Book BFFs set goals that included a book from a male POV, this just seemed like the perfect book to fill that role.

Although, technically, only half of the book was from the male POV and half of it was from Blue's POV, I still say it totally counts because there were more male than female characters that had leading roles. Yep, that is my story, and I am totally sticking to it.

Blue was a character that struck me as, intriguing. Something about her being out of the ordinary. But I think I felt the strongest connection with Adam, and I am really not sure why. Out of all of the characters, he just seemed the most, well, real.

The story was one of magic and amazing adventures. I think it would appeal to pretty much any demographic, any gender. It ends on the kind of cliffhanger that leaves you gasping for air and wanting more. I essentially read this one in under 24 hours, and while I want to dive directly into Dream Thieves, alas, I must wait and see what else comes along first that will be more pressing.

The Raven Boys was one of those books that I felt compelled to finish. From the moment I picked it up, I was drawn into the story and felt like I was there. The first 60 pages or so were a little slow starting, but by the time I got through that, I was immediately dragged along into a story that I just could not walk away from. Noah's story was sad and bittersweet, but I was really glad to see the way some of the situations were resolved. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Originally posted in One Less Lonely Blog

This is the first book of "The Raven Cycle" and it is as it is, an introductory book. There's a plot going on and there's the plot of the series but it is mostly a "getting to know the characters" book. We get to know each character, part of their story, what they want and what they feel. The book is written in third person and we get inside everyone's head. It was a little hard to get into it at the beginning but you get used to it.

Everything about this book was new to me because I never read a story like this. It was very unpredictable and fun. There's not too much romance, but everytime something romantic happened my heart skipped beats. This is the kind of book that you want everything but you don't get what you want and you need more and more. I can't wait to read the sequels. I know (I hope) that everything I wanted to happen in this book will happen somewhere in the next 2 books. I can't wait to read what happens with Blue and the thing about her "true love". Gahh!! ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Another great book to start out the year. Need to get both reviews done tonight. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,829,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible