The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

1,3201465,899 (4.14)110
Member:kathleen.morrow
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:**
Tags:Young Adult, Paranormal

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

I’m a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater’s THE WOLVES OF MERCY FALLS trilogy, and I recently listened to SINNER in audio which is what prompted me to give this series a whirl. Well, that and the fact that I won a copy from Loupe at Hot Listens (thank you!!!). The author’s lyrical writing style that I’ve come to know and love was out in full force, I connected remarkably well with all of the characters after only one installment, and I also really liked that this wasn’t your typical paranormal listen in that it doesn’t feature the usual supe suspects. However, I found that the lore was a lot to take in—I had to listen to several chapters more than once in order to grasp all of the intricate details—and, I wasn’t completely sold on the narrator’s delivery. But, I remember not having instantly clicked with SHIVER, so I’m more than willing to give THE DREAM THIEVES a chance, I just won’t be downloading a copy asap.

The first few chapters were kind of meh because all of this series’ players were introduced, but Stiefvater didn’t connect the dots until three hours in which caused THE RAVEN BOYS to have a rather slow start. Then all of the symbology, Tarot aspects, and Welsh lore kicked in, and I was once again swept again by this author’s masterful world-building skills. Readers are left with way more questions than answers, however that’s to be expected from a debut installment, so even though it was frustrating, I was still pleased with the end result. I’m infinitely curious about the corpse road, ley lines, Cabeswater, Glendower, the dreaming tree, and what it all means because at the moment there seems to be many MANY pieces to this puzzle, and I don’t have two clues as to how they fit together.

I took an immediate liking to all of the characters; from Adam the trailer park trash trying to make it on his own, to Gansey the wealthy adventurer that attempts to be middle-class but fails horribly, and Blue the only non-psychic among a family of fortune tellers who just wants to be special too. The prophecy surrounding Sargent’s true love added an extra layer to the intrigue, then there was Whelk & Neeve’s individual motivations, and the whole possibility vs reality angle. And, just when I thought that I was beginning to figure the story arc out, Stiefvater goes and drops the Noah bomb on me, followed by multiple visions of likely outcomes, and a semi cliff hanger ending about a ghost’s dreams and a raven named Chainsaw. Colour me thoroughly confused!

I liked Will Patton’s narration, but I didn’t love it, and there were a few reasons why. The main one being that he whispered a lot, and although I found that it fit this novel’s darker tone, it also made him difficult to understand. The whole time I was listening, I thought that Cabeswater was actually caves water, and this happened for several words that I later had to look-up in order to write an accurate review. This also may have been what caused me to have to re-start several chapters rather than putting all of the blame solely on the author’s complex world-building. I really disliked the voice he used for Persephone, and for the most part, he felt too old for a Young Adult book. However, after eleven+ hours of him streaming through my earbuds, he did grow on me, so I’m not prepared to write him off just yet.

THE RAVEN BOYS made me go WTF way too many times to count, as all good mysteries should, so mission accomplished Maggie Stiefvater. We will meet again in THE DREAM THIEVES! ( )
  RabidReads | Dec 18, 2014 |
I love the way Stiefvater writes memorabl equirky characters, and this book is a great example of that. I am not however a fan of the unfulfilling ending that clearly is just setting things up for the next book. At least it is a super quick fast paced read that I should be able to finish soon. ( )
  klarsenmd | Dec 16, 2014 |
This book has a little something for everyone – its supernatural elements come from Blue being part of a family of psychics, though she isn’t one herself. Her power is that she amplifies what others can do. This book is a mystery too. Blue’s always been told by her family members that if she were to kiss her true love, he will die. And the prep school boys nearby are searching for a ley line where there may be a buried body of a legendary sleeping king of Wales. Blue has always thought these Raven boys were privileged troublemakers to avoid, but when they come to her house for a psychic reading one day, she’s compelled to help them. It turns out they have their own family troubles too. This all makes for a suspenseful and complex story. ( )
  readerspeak | Dec 12, 2014 |
Loved this book! Now I have read Maggie Stiefvater's other book series, but I didn't have The Raven Cycle on my list. I seen my library had it on audio book, so I thought I'd give it a try. Should have known it was gonna be a good one. Once I started I couldn't stop Blue and the Raven boys are exciting characters. The Raven Boys has a little bit of everything. I loved the mystery & magick aspect to the story. Definitely one of my favorite YA reads this year. I can't wait to jump back into this world

The Raven Boys is narrated by actor, Will Patton. This is the second time I've listened to a audiobook he's narrated. I just love his voice. He embodies the characters so fully.

(audio review) ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Blue Sargent has grown up knowing she can’t kiss her true love or she’ll kill him. She’s made peace with this fact, especially considering her proximity to the Raven Boys, students at the nearby elite Aglionby School, who have a reputation of arrogance, superficiality and materialism, at best, and just downright immoral, at worst.

Through a series of events, Blue finds herself drawn to a group of vastly different four Raven Boys: charismatic Gansey, antagonistic Ronan, ambitious Adam, and perpetually sad Noah. These boys are on a mission to find the tomb of the ancient Welsh king Glendower, who they believe is buried in their town of Henrietta, Virginia. Henrietta holds a lot of secrets, and the boys are hoping that the lost king, who is rumored to bestow a wish on those who find him, is one of them.

Although the plot of this book is solid enough, it’s truly the characters--and the relationship between them--that makes this book stand out. Each character is fantastically developed, and at times, the plot seems to almost take a backseat to the engaging characters.

The Raven Boys is the first in a planned quartet, so even if the plot doesn’t pull readers in, readers will be eagerly invested in knowing what happens to the characters they’ll undoubtedly grow to love. Highly recommended. Grades 9 and up. ( )
  krmajor | Dec 7, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible