The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton (Narrator)

Member:kathleen.morrow
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Other authors:Will Patton (Narrator)
Info:Playaway (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:**
Tags:Young Adult, Paranormal

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The dust cover makes this book out to be about romance but it’s really not. The book is much more about clairvoyance, and quests, and friendship. And it went fairly fast. This book seems to be setting things up mostly for the rest of the series, so you’d like it would be kind of slow but it wasn’t. I felt like the action flew by. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I am intrigued and will probably read the next book at some point in the future. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 1, 2014 |
Confession – this is the third time I’ve read The Raven Boys in less than two years. Obviously, I really love this book.

Going in, I was dubious, mainly due to the misleading cover blurb which contains several phrases that tend to make me steer away from books:

“Either you’re his true love… or you killed him.”

“But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain.”

The words “true love” and “inexplicably drawn to” tend to make me drop books and run the opposite direction in fear of Twilight clones or insta love. Basically, it looked like all the other “star crossed true love” paranormal YA stories out there, which I generally detest. However, I’d previously enjoyed The Scorpio Races by Stiefvater, so was willing to give The Raven Boys a try.

I am so glad I did.

I often see The Raven Boys classified as paranormal romance, and I’d have to disagree with that. The plot actually focuses on ley lines and trees that speak in Latin and the hunt for an ancient Welsh king. While there is a romantic plot thread, it’s a minor one compared to all the other events and relationships in the book. Really, I think The Raven Boys is centered around the friendships of all these different, complex characters. Blue and the Raven Boys (Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah) are obviously the crux of the book, but I found Blue’s family, the psychic ladies of 300 Fox Way, to be very entertaining as well.

Gansey’s filled with a desperate desire to make his life worth something, which in turn fuels his desire to find the sleeping Welsh king, Glendower. He has the tendency to come across as callus or entitled (much to his distress), but he’s also deeply devoted to his friends and is constantly worrying about them. Possibly for this reason, the TV trope “Team Mom” fits him pretty well. Unfortunately, there’s not always much he can do to help his friends.

“They were always walking away from him. But he never seemed able to walk away from them.”

Ronan’s bitter and troubled, the student who’s always cutting class and on the verge of expulsion.

“Gansey had once told Adam that he was afraid most people didn’t know how to handle Ronan. What he meant by this was that he was worried that one day someone would fall on Ronan and cut themselves.”

I was worried that Ronan would fall into the stereotypical YA “bad boy” trap, but Maggie Stiefvater’s much too good of an author for that. The sequel, The Dream Thieves, put those fears to rest for good and made Ronan my favorite character.

Adam’s a scholarship student from a poor and abusive background who has to work hard to have even a fraction of what the others take for granted. He’s determined to succeed on his own merits without being beholden to anyone, which can lead to conflict when Gansey tries to help him out.

Noah, the last of the boys, is quiet and tends not to have much of an impression. But if you’re wondering why he’s included, just hang on for the first half and you’ll soon find out.

What’s unusual about my complete love for the series is that female characters are not a big factor. Don’t get me wrong – Blue isn’t badly written or aggravating. She’s probably better than most other YA heroines, and I might like her a lot better in another book. It’s just that she’s outshone by Raven Boys. Analyzing it, I think it’s because, well, Blue has the best life and least conflicts and worries out of all of them. She also doesn’t seem to have any of the hidden depth that makes the others so appealing.

Lastly in regards to characters, I love that Blue’s family plays a significant and sympathetic role in the book. It’s so different than how the typical YA story goes, and her mother and the other psychics have some truly hilarious moments.

Before I wrap up this review, I have two farther points to make. Firstly, the writing is excellent, never clunky and sometimes beautiful. The scenes in Cabeswater are particularly enchanting. Secondly, the plotting is very twisty. By the end of the series, I’m betting that the plot line’s going to end up looking more like a Celtic knot. I love this, but other people may find it confusing or annoying.

I have trouble thinking of a specific sort of person to recommend The Raven Boys to, mainly because of my desire to hand it enthusiastically to everyone I meet. But if you like YA fantasy set in the current day, you should really try this one. Even if you aren't a huge fan of the genre, you might want to give it a go anyway.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Sep 27, 2014 |
Blue’s family are psychics. She can’t see the future, but can make their powers stronger through her energy. All her life she’s vowed to stay away from the boys at Aglionby, a private school for the stuffily rich she nicknamed “Raven Boys.” These two separate worlds clash when she has a vision that decrees she will cause the death of a Raven Boy named Gansby because she allowed him a kiss.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/the-raven-boys-maggie-stiefva...
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult

Henrietta, Virginia

Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother every year on St. Mark’s Eve. Blue’s mother sees the soon-to-be dead as they walk past them. Blue has never seen them until this year when she sees a boy emerge from the dark and speak to her.

A rich student at Aglionby, a private school, Gansey is that boy. Blue has always stayed away from the Aglionby boys also known as Raven Boys as they can only mean trouble.

For the first time ever she ignores her policy of staying away as Blue is drawn to Gansey in ways she can’t completely explain. He is on a quest that has drawn three other Raven Boys into it. Adam is a scholarship student that resents the privilege around him. Ronan whose soul has emotions ranging from anger to despair. And Noah the watcher who notices everything but says very little.

All her life as long as she can remember Blue was told that she would cause her true love to die. She never thought it would be a problem as she doesn’t believe in true love. Now her life is caught in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys. Blue isn’t so sure of anything anymore.

This is a start to a series that with this story proves to be very intriguing. While it starts a little slow the pace picks up and moves at a faster pace that pulls the reader into a world where the possibility of magic makes for a book that is very engrossing. The characters prove to be complicated and fascinating as they each deal with their pasts that aren’t as simple as they would wish. The emotional roller coaster that each character takes sucks in the reader as they get lost in each one’s struggle to overcome the obstacles that are in their way. While it ends with a cliff hanger of sorts it proves to be a good way to end the book and will have readers wanting to read the next book to see what is going to happen next and just how it will all play out. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 17, 2014 |
A good supernatural book for teens. Interesting group of characters. ( )
  AmberEgan | Sep 14, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,470,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible