Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, psychics, ghosts, Welsh mythology, prep school, uncorrected proof

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

So glad I picked up this book after literally years of my best friend telling me to! Had a hard time with the beginning of the book, as it felt very cliche, and lately I have had little patience for typical YA tropes. That being said, I was sucked in ny around page 60 and flew through it. I look forward to reading the next books! ( )
  watersgendry | Aug 18, 2016 |
Lots of interesting things going on in this first installment. Some things weren't a surprise, some were. The story is really good and the characters well defined. I liked Blue's family and the family Gansey made--comparing the two is fun. I love the magic and the psychic abilities. Very entertaining and engaging. ( )
  waclements7 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Omg why did I wait so long to read this one! I LOVED IT! I need to get my hands on the next book ASAP! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
3,5 stars.

Plot: It is a very interesting book, although it is a bit slow at the beginning. I liked that although we see different points of view, we do not really know much more than they know, so we can discover the mystery with them. On the other hand, this makes the book move much slowlier. Some of the things a character learns are things that we already know because someone else has figured it out first. However, the book does not get too repetitive. Well, maybe a little at the beginning, but this changes as soon as we get closer to understanding what is going on.

After all the mystery, the ending was a bit disappointing. Still, I enjoyed all the not knowing, which is the best part - and the longest part - of this book.

Characters: The characters were ok. Having scenes told from most of their points of view gives us an unusual knowledge of all of them. The author still manages to write them in such a way that they still stay a mystery to the reader until the very end.

The love story was believable. There is no instalove, just a certain attraction and interest. I was surprised that the actual love interest of the main character and the hinted love interest were different people. It even stays like this until the last pages of the book. I hope that they don't turn the love story into a triangle. There is no love triangle in this book, but the last few chapters made me wonder if this is what is going to happen in the rest of the series.
What I felt was missing were more scenes told from the point of view of one of the teachers. Revealing more would be spoiling the ending, but people who have read the book will know which character I'm talking about. I can see why there aren't more throughout the book, but a flashback once the big secret has been revealed would have been nice.

Series: This book is the first one in The Raven Cycle series. The specific plot of this book is finished by the end of the book, so you don't have to wait till the next one to see what happens next. However, there is a plot twist at the end that will probably be the main plot of the next book.

Other: If you don't like it, there is no need to continue the series.

------------------------------------------------

3,5 estrellas

Argumento: Es un libro muy interesante, aunque es un poco lento al principio. Me gustó que, aunque veamos diferentes puntos de vista, no sepamos realmente mucho más que lo que ellos saben, por lo que podemos descubrir el misterio con ellos. Por otro lado, esto hace que el libro avance de manera más lenta. Algunas de las cosas que averigua un personaje son cosas que ya sabíamos porque otra persona las ha descubierto primero. Sin embargo, el libro llega a ser muy repetitivo. Bueno, puede que un poco al principio, pero esto cambia según nos vamos acercando a comprender lo que está pasando.

Después de todo el misterio, el final fue un poco decepcionante. Aún así, me gustó el no saber, que es la mejor parte (y la parte más larga) de este libro.

Personajes: Los personajes estuvieron bien. El tener escenas narradas desde la mayoría de los puntos de vista nos aporta un conocimiento inusual de todos ellos. La autora consigue, aún así, escribirlos de tal manera que continúan manteniéndose un misterio para el lector hasta el final.

La historia de amor fue creíble. No hay instalove, simplemente una cierta atracción e interés. Me sorprendió que el verdadero interés romántico de la protagonista y el interés romántico sugerido fueran personas diferentes. Incluso permanece así hasta las últimas páginas del libro. Espero que no conviertan la historia de amor en un triángulo. No hay ninguno en este libro, pero los últimos capítulos hiciero que me preguntara si esto es lo que iba a pasar en el resto de la serie.

Lo que eché en falta fueron más escenas narradas desde el punto de vista de uno de los profesores. Decir más sería destripar el final, pero quienes hayan leído el libro sabrá de qué personaje estoy hablando. Puedo ver por qué no hay más a lo largo del libro, pero un flashback una vez que se ha revelado el gran secreto habría estado bien.

Serie: Este libro es el primero en la serie The Raven Boys (parece que en español han cogido el título original del primer libro como nombre de toda la serie). El argumento específico de este libro acaba al final del libro, así que no hace falta esperar al siguiente para saber qué pasa a continuación. Sin embargo, hay un giro argumental al final que probablemente será el argumento principal del siguiente libro.

Otros: Si no te gusta, no hace falta continuar la serie. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,316,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible