Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, psychics, ghosts, Welsh mythology, prep school, uncorrected proof

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The most difficult part of this review is trying to get words and coherently arrange them in a way that won't spoil the story and at the same time convey what I liked about it.

I've decided that this review will be in list form, since it's the only way I can arrange my thoughts.

What I liked:
1-The characters- all of them were charming and amusing. I could relate to the main character, Blue, and at the same time I came to love Gansey, Adam, Noah and yes, even Ronan. They all have something to add to the story.
2-The storyline- I mean, a girl that is destined to kill her true love with a kiss is awesome. I loved that there was never any doubt to the matter. I love when there's an "inevitable" aspect to a strory.
3-The twists and turns- So many of them. I even think I had a nightmare about one of them. That's how much I was impacted by this story.
4-The "psychic" and "magic" aspects of the story. They're not just mentioned once and then ignored.
5- The fact that there were many "secondary" plots. It didn't just focus on how Blue is going to kill someone when she kisses him.
6-The setting! And the accents! I find Henrietta accents really adorable.
7-The ending. The last line left me hyped up and waiting for a sequel. It is the perfect cliffhanger.

What I didn't like:
1- That there wasn't an immediate sequel that I could devour yet!

Overall, amazing book! I'll be reading more Stiefvater books. 5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I found this book to be very different from other YA books that I've read. For a more formal review, check out my book blog, Rachael Reads!

https://rachaelsbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/the-raven-boys-by-maggie-stiefvater/ ( )
  Rachael_Reads | Jun 22, 2015 |
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

Living with a family of psychics, Blue doesn't have her own powers, but she does have energy that helps the power of those around her. Every year she accompanies her sits by her mother, in the ruins of the old church as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue doesn't see them, her presence only helping the other's vision.

At least until this year.

The boy she sees will only tell her his name is Gansey.

Blue soon finds out that Gansey is a student at Aglionby, the local private school. Told by every clairvoyant she's ever encountered - those in her home and not - that if she kisses her true love, he'll die, Blue's decided boys are trouble. Aglionby boys,the Raven Boys, more that that are bastards.

Staying away from the ultra-rich Gansey should be no problem. Yet, Blue finds herself drawn to him - and his friends: Adam, the one Aglionby boy who doesn't seem to have money or be pretentious; Ronan, the angry one who can't let go of his pain; Noah who's quiet but always noticing things.

When Blue finds out Gansey's on his own quest - one very unexpected, she finds herself drawn into their lives and their search. Whether it's safe for any of them or not.

Some books grab me from page one, I'll admit that The Raven Boys didn't have quite grab me until the end of the first chapter. The prologue and the first chapter were okay, but I didn't love them. The end of the first chapter and after that, that's when things picked up. The Raven Boys is a book that got better and better as it went on.

The Raven Boys isn't a book that reveals everything right away. Sometimes the result will be told before the action that caused it, leaving things either a bit confusing, or with some wondering going on. In particular, I was curious as to a character's motivation for so long that I almost quit caring. Yet, when it was revealed, it became clear that it couldn't have been told in any other (or any earlier) part of the story. It was exactly where it needed to be. That's also true with the rest of the novel, it's told in exactly the order it needs to be.

That's a bit how The Raven Boys is, even the times when the story was a bit confusing (as to how things worked together or why someone was doing, or not doing, something, etc.) the writing and the novel in general are so enjoyable, you don't care.

The characters were well developed and each time something new was revealed about them, it made sense. When it was something that had been hinted at earlier, the clues that may have gone unnoticed, suddenly made sense. When it was something meant to be surprising, it was.

Blue's family - the whole dynamic of her house, really - was great fun and worked incredibly well. It wasn't a kitsch, cliche portrayal of a house of psychics. They were different, yet with something linking them together and had their own bit of mystery.

A book that gets better with each turn of the page, one that leaves you wondering a bit (sometimes more), and one with some different magical elements, The Raven Boys is a great read.

Rating: 9/10

Other books you might also enjoy: The Blood Keeper by Tessa Gratton and Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Really enjoyed the story, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I read it instead of listened to the audio. The narrator was good, this was just the kind of story that I would prefer to read. I definitely plan on re-reading this one and continuing on with with series. ( )
  taleofnight | May 17, 2015 |
I was in from the very moment I read the first line....'Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.' Maggie Stiefvater is a sucker for these lines, I knew from the start I would not put this book down. God damn it I was meant to go out with friends, oh well (kinda thing) and as books go it only gets better as you read!

I want Blue's family as my own. My mum reads tarots amazingly, but a full family under one roof WOW. I love her house, I love the way they are together, basically I love it all.

St Mark's Eve, Church yard, ghosts of the not yet dead. OMG! YES! Blue can see a boy's spirit though she can't see the others.... She asked, "will you tell me your name?"................. "Gansey", he said....... "Is that all?" she whispered.
Gansey closed his eyes. "That's all there is."

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love," Neeve said, "or you kill him." ..... Maggie you are trying to kill me!! She is going to kill her true love. Death by kiss. What!

Then the boys are introduced. Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah. They remind me of stand by me. That kind of innocence but not innocence at the same time. They know what they are doing and nothing is going to stop them. I love the wildness of it all. Boys being boys plan and simple. So cool when someone gets it so spot on.

I know from half way what I want Gansey to be to Blue. Adam with Blue just annoys me. I love Adam but just as who he is.
You find yourself wanting more Ronan and I feel you need more Noah to really love him.

The group love each other and that is brilliant to be a part of, even if you are just reading. GO AND BUY THESE BOOKS RIGHT AWAY!!
None of my friends read. Which make me depressed, I've been dying to tell someone to read The Raven Boy's for agesss..... ( )
  darceypaige | Apr 27, 2015 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,906,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible