Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, psychics, ghosts, Welsh mythology, prep school, uncorrected proof

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I've had my eyes on The Raven Boys for quite some time because of all of the positive reviews. I decided to wait a bit for a few reasons--maybe expectations would be on par instead of reading right when hype is high, and also, I just haven't had time in my reading schedule.

I connected with Blue right away. I liked her voice and I could relate with feeling on the outside even if my feelings have nothing to do with the paranormal. Hers is because she hasn't been able to see ghosts or have any intuition for the supernatural world, she only amplifies that of her family. Speaking of they are so eclectic and fun to read about. It had to be hard for Blue as well because a premonition has followed her for her whole life-- that the boy she kissed/fell in love with would die. I mean talk about a dating downer and how you view yourself.

When it came to the Raven Boys, it took me longer to get a sense of their separate personalities and how they played into the story. Gansey is the boy that Blue saw, so it seems that I would gravitate to him, but he seems to have a split personality and I had a hard time with his ups and downs and acting so differently. I was more drawn to Adam personally.

I was pretty confused at times, and I know that some is probably on purpose, and honestly I would skim a bit, since I was intimidated by the size to start with. It had that feeling that everything was slowly setting up, and honestly I am surprised that I stuck with it since I had issues that I didn't really get inside the head of and feel for the guys as separate characters but also how they work together. But I liked Blue and I liked the mystical feel to it, and wanted to know how it would play out for Blue and Gansey.

But there was something about it, even with my gripes that I just couldn't put it down and I had to know what would happen. As the story went on I was able to finally get a grasp on some of the raven boys, but Adam continued to be my favorite.

There were so many twists, and changed what I thought of the different characters and the roles they played. Some of the character's actions really surprised me as well as the whole thread of her first kiss and who I thought and who I wanted it to be. I will be continuing the series, and glad I gave it a chance.

Bottom Line: Slow set-up but loved Blue, one of the main characters, and the mystical tone ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jul 26, 2014 |
The Raven Boys has everything I've ever wanted in a young adult book: mystery, psychics, ghosts, a lovely character named Blue, treasure hunting, and boys that were unique and attractive. I would have died if I had read this when I was a teenager. I would be one of those fan-girls that makes poster boards and creepy shrines for Maggie. Fortunately, I am an adult... and I have learned to bottle up all of my emotions.

The Raven Boys is fictional, but it felt real. I was constantly thinking "Why can't the real world be like this?! Why can't there be true psychics and ley lines!?" I will admit, at first I wasn't sure if I would love it or even like it, but I just loved Blue's life and how things with the boys started to come together. The first chapter had me hooked. I loved Blue's name. I loved that her family was just a house full of women... I know what that's like. I also liked the uncertainty of whether Blue would really end up with Adam or Gansey.

Blue is a teenage girl who doesn't have much of a life other than being useful to her family of women psychics and creating unique clothes. Gansey is the rich boy in town. He has so much money that it buys freedom to chase his dream of finding "buried treasure". Then there is Blue's mother, her mother's sister Neeve, and Gansey's best friends: Adam, Ronan, and Noah. Each character is explained so well. I felt like I knew how each character would be in reality. The creepy one, the smart one, the rich arrogant boy, the loner, the protective mother.

There wasn't a dull moment in The Raven Boys. The stretch of time throughout all of the events was even realistic! I just felt that so many elements in this book were creative and fun. The treasure hunting and magic were what sealed the deal for me. It was definitely unique and exciting.

Then there is Ronan. Ronan is my first... okay second book crush. Of course, the first review I peeked at for Dream Thieves had a Ronan spoiler! Oh well. I am still looking forward to the rest of the series. (Dream Thieves was good by the way... I ran out and got it from the library after I finished this.) At least Gansey grew on me! ( )
  theindigoshelf | Jul 23, 2014 |
A mix of A Separate Peace and The Goonies, with a few ancient supernatural forces thrown in for good measure.

Blue Sargent is a signal booster for the supernatural, which makes her a blessing to both her professionally clairvoyant family and a few boys at the local boarding school who’ve been chasing a legend. Blue can’t see the spirits herself, though she accompanies her mother annually to a graveyard on St. Mark’s Eve, where those destined to die in the coming year pass through. When Blue sees her first spirit, one of those Aglionby boys, she knows one of two things: he is either her true love, or she will be the one to kill him. Though she knows nothing good can come from running with the privileged Raven Boys of Aglionby Academy, she can’t help but be caught up in the search for an ancient Welsh king, led by the boy who will break her heart.

Obviously this book came out awhile ago and, as I had pre-ordered it, I read it pretty much the instant it was released. As a big fan of both The Goonies and A Separate Peace, the story was right up my alley, though I felt as a novel it didn’t always work. Now that we are on the eve of The Dream Thieves release, I thought it was about time I posted a review. Let me just state out front that I will be reading the sequel.

There are a lot of elements at play in the story of Blue and The Raven Boys’ search for Glendower, and some work better than others. Blue’s family is easily the strongest aspect: a houseful of spiritually attuned women who use their gifts for second sight to make a living, the dynamic between the different seers makes for great reading. One of the most chilling scenes in the novel takes place at Blue’s house, and it gave me the genuine, all-out willies. One of the weaker elements is the depiction of the boys themselves. The narrative rests heavily on their relationship, and their interactions don’t always ring true. Each of them is an interesting, fleshed-out character, but when they speak to each other it sounds like a girl imagining a conversation between boys rather than one boys would actually have. There is a villain of sorts, but his story is joined to the main narrative so awkwardly that I keep forgetting he exists.

This is a story with massive potential, and while The Raven Boys didn’t always hit the right notes for me, I will absolutely be back to find out what happens in The Dream Thieves. The novel has adventure, realistic romance, spooky supernatural moments, and healthy doses of mystery and humor. It probably suffered slightly in my view because it followed the near-perfect The Scorpio Races, but I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed The Goonies, A Separate Peace, or even Indiana Jones. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I am perplexed by this book. I'm just honestly not sure what I think of it! I have to say: this is an odd feeling.

Blue Sargent has grown up with a psychic mother and a house full of her mother's gifted friends. She isn't psychic, but Blue is something special. She has the ability to amplify energy - like turning up the volume for those who do have psychic abilities. And, Blue is special for another reason: she will one day kill her true love.

The raven boys are Gansey, Ronan, Luke, and Adam, all students at Aglionby - a Ivy-league prep school for boys in Henrietta, VA. Gansey is - and has been - searching for a buried Welsh king who, when found, will re-awake and grant a wish to the one who finds him. Clearly the leader of the quartet, Gansey has surrounded himself with an interesting group:

Adam is a scholarship student at Aglionby, determined to pull himself out of his current situation on his own terms.
Ronan is troubled, angry, and grieving, but his friends see a special potential in him.
And Noah, well, Noah is an enigma even among those who know him best.
When Blue crosses paths with the raven boys, something . . . new begins. Her energy is a spark to Gansey's search and there is a growing affection between her and Adam. All of them can feel the newness, but none of them can fully understand what is going on. (Nor can I!)

I'm conflicted about my feelings for this book. The character canvas is crowded and the energy around ley lines and magic and psychic ability further complicates the plot. And there there is something intriguing about this book. How can Blue kill her true love with a kiss? What is really going on in the "enchanted forest" the group discovered? And is it Adam or Gansey who is Blue's true love? I'm still not 100% sure what's going on in the Raven Cycle, but I am interested enough to carry on with the series in order to find out what happens next. I would give it a rating of 3.5/5. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible