Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, young adult, psychics, ghosts, Welsh mythology, prep school, uncorrected proof

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys is my first Maggie Stiefvater book - I know, unheard of, especially since I have the Shiver boxset! - and I can say that Maggie has gained another fan of her work. The Raven Boys are the boys of Aglionby Academy, the rich and the privileged and Blue Sargent will have nothing to do with them, thank you very much. Then she sees one walking the Corpse Road on St. Mark’s Eve and everything changes.

The Raven Boys was a great read. I’d classify it as a story of friendship with a bit of mystery and a lot of paranormal happenings. There are four boys - Gansey, Ronan, Adam and Noah - and they are on a quest, lead by Gansey, to awaken an ancient Welsh King. The boys meet Blue, an eccentric girl who lives in a house filled with psychics and together they try to uncover the mystery of Glendower and the ley lines.

Initially, I thought Blue would have been the highlight of the novel, however, it was Gansey and his friends who were the center of the story. The narrative went back and fourth between Blue, Gansey and Adam, but it was easy to follow the switches in perspective.

The writing was beautiful - Maggie is very descriptive, almost poetic, in her writing style, however, there were a few points where I felt a little overwhelmed by metaphors, this wasn’t often, but it was just enough for me to notice. The story itself was enthralling - a feverish quest for a king that lived long ago, a family of psychics who have secrets of their own and then there is Blue, the eccentric girl who was told that she would kiss her true love, and he would die. The characters had depth and there was enough interest in the plot to keep reading well into the wee hours of the morning.

There were times when the teenagers didn’t sound like teenagers, and I found it a little hard to believe that Gansey - only seventeen - was on the quest for Glendower for years. I know he was wealthy, mature and intelligent, but it still seemed a bit of a stretch to me.

I also found the ending to be rushed. Not a lot happened in the beginning of the book, most of it was a setup for the ending which was resolved in just a few pages; this left me a little disoriented.

These things, however, were minuscule compared to the great plot and great setup for the other books. I’m definitely looking forward to more from Blue and the Raven Boys.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Read this again but as an audiobook. Still as good as the first time. Still emotional over every single character. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
I am so disappointed in this book. I've seen all over my news feed how good it is, and it is definitely one of the hot books right now. I made it to pg137 and I just can't go any further. I'm breaking up with it.

I don't know. The book has an interesting concept with the clairvoyance and ley line thing, but there are SO many characters. Out of all those characters there has to be one that you get attached to, right? Not for me. As bad as it sounds, I was waiting on someone to die off just so something interesting happens. I feel like because there were so many characters and the author tries to give tidbits of background about each of them, it just became too much and too generic. Even the main characters I wasn't attached to. Blue was okay, but she spends so much time being angsty and trying to look like a Hot Topic ad that you don't know anything about her personality. All of the Raven boys seemed like they were each made from a stereotype. You have the super rich good guy who is the leader, the super rich bad boy who has tons of angst and hate, you have the poor kid, and you have the weird kid.

It just wasn't for me. Maybe I'll pick it up in the future and try again, but I have been trying to read it for four days which says a lot for me. Usually if I love or even really like a book I can read it in a day. If it's just okay but still interesting it usually takes me two days tops. For it to be day four and I'm still not even half way? Yeah. Just not for me. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Check out more reviews on the blog www.RealLifary.com

Blue Sargent lives a pretty unconventional life in the conventional small town of Henrietta, VA. Raised by a household of women psychics, Blue wasn't born with the same gifts as her mother but she was born with the power to amplify the gifts of others. Every year on the eve of the feast of St. Mark, Blue goes with her mother to watch the dead walk the line. She never sees them herself, but serves as an amplifier to her mother who records the names of these dead who are destined to die in the next year, for paying customers. Until this year that is. This year Blue sees one boy, an Aglionby boy called Gansey. Known as Raven Boys, they are students of the prestigious prep school known to turn out politicians and powerful business men. The thing is, the only way she could have possibly seen him, according to the women in her house, is if he is her true love... or if she is to be the one to kill him. A looming prophesy told to her as long as she can remember becomes that much more real. If you kiss your true love, he will die. Gansey is on his own quest in search of the mythical Welsh king, Gwendower, with his band of Raven boys, Adam, Ronan, and Noah. The teenagers paths ultimately cross soon after the eve of St. Mark and entangle them in deadly magic, romance, mystery, and destiny.

So let me just go ahead and say this right off the bat, go buy this book or check it out from the library...like now. This book is the perfect mix of mysticism, magic, and mystery. The characters together each bring the perfect balance to the group. I am super pumped to see where this prophecy takes us (that's gotta suck for a highschool girl to know she can't kiss her true love or oops, she kills him!) Along with some hints throughout the book, including some pretty intense visions the characters experience, I think I have some ideas but I honestly can't be sure considering Maggie threw a major plot twist in there about three fourths of the way through the book ( I did NOT see that coming, my jaw literally dropped with that one!) Who knows what that crazy lady will spring on us in books 2-4?! The author does such a wonderful job of really painting a complete picture for each of the characters, as a reader you really get a sense for who they are and she gives us great information about what really drives each character. I have a feeling all these driving factors will really play a part in the larger story playing out throughout the series. The setting Maggie chose for the novel is quaint, with a hint of magic and otherworldlyness which lends itself well to the story. Overall, I was more than satisfied with this book, it has all the makings for a spectacular series! ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Oct 24, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible