The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater

2,3302092,705 (4.09)137
Member:Herenya
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 409 pages
Collections:Read, Connect, reread, ['13 - '15], Last year
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult, fantasy, urban fantasy, ghosts, school, friendship, read-2013, read-2014, read-2016

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I liked this book. It's pretty elaborate so it needs the readers full attention. I think I may have been a little to distracted by life while reading it, or I might have liked it even more. I still enjoyed it and would like to continue the series. It has lots of paranormal/supernatural elements, lots of psychic readings and magic rituals.
3.5 stars ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
LOVE. I need more! I HAVE TO read the rest of this series! ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
I started to read this book once and then about 15% of the way DNF'd it and didn't really think about it again, but my best friend told me to pick it back up again and read it. Since I trust her opinions I did that. While the writing wasn't bad and the characters were likeable (most of them anyway), I feel like this book just took me so, so, so long to read. The story telling is beautiful though and it does leave you wanting more. I'm pretty sure I'll continue with this series at some point. I would recommend this book, just make sure you set a lot of time aside. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Dec 15, 2016 |
The Raven Boys is my first Maggie Stiefvater book - I know, unheard of, especially since I have the Shiver boxset! - and I can say that Maggie has gained another fan of her work. The Raven Boys are the boys of Aglionby Academy, the rich and the privileged and Blue Sargent will have nothing to do with them, thank you very much. Then she sees one walking the Corpse Road on St. Mark’s Eve and everything changes.

The Raven Boys was a great read. I’d classify it as a story of friendship with a bit of mystery and a lot of paranormal happenings. There are four boys - Gansey, Ronan, Adam and Noah - and they are on a quest, lead by Gansey, to awaken an ancient Welsh King. The boys meet Blue, an eccentric girl who lives in a house filled with psychics and together they try to uncover the mystery of Glendower and the ley lines.

Initially, I thought Blue would have been the highlight of the novel, however, it was Gansey and his friends who were the center of the story. The narrative went back and fourth between Blue, Gansey and Adam, but it was easy to follow the switches in perspective.

The writing was beautiful - Maggie is very descriptive, almost poetic, in her writing style, however, there were a few points where I felt a little overwhelmed by metaphors, this wasn’t often, but it was just enough for me to notice. The story itself was enthralling - a feverish quest for a king that lived long ago, a family of psychics who have secrets of their own and then there is Blue, the eccentric girl who was told that she would kiss her true love, and he would die. The characters had depth and there was enough interest in the plot to keep reading well into the wee hours of the morning.

There were times when the teenagers didn’t sound like teenagers, and I found it a little hard to believe that Gansey - only seventeen - was on the quest for Glendower for years. I know he was wealthy, mature and intelligent, but it still seemed a bit of a stretch to me.

I also found the ending to be rushed. Not a lot happened in the beginning of the book, most of it was a setup for the ending which was resolved in just a few pages; this left me a little disoriented.

These things, however, were minuscule compared to the great plot and great setup for the other books. I’m definitely looking forward to more from Blue and the Raven Boys.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,481,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible