The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Member:Herenya
Title:The Raven Boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 409 pages
Collections:Read, Connect, reread, ['13 - '15], Last year
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult, fantasy, urban fantasy, ghosts, school, friendship, read-2013, read-2014, read-2016

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

so i read this because everyone's been talking about it and it was pretty much as amazing as i expected. i did not find it to be too slow, it kept my attention the whole time.
the writing is absolutely beautiful i don't know how but it goes so well with the entire atmosphere, which is magical in a very subtle way, it's so different from anything i've ever read.
it is a completely character-driven story, which i love, and so of course the characters are all very unusual and unexpected and so so loveable. i am very intrigued about all of them, especially ronan, but at the moment i kind of have a soft spot for noah. there were a few moments where i might've shed some tears ._.
however i do have two complaints: the first is the fact that we don't really see how the friendship between blue and the boys comes to be... at one point she hates them and then after meeting twice they spend every day together.......
and the other thing i don't like is what's going on with blue and adam................... they probably have chemistry but i kind of know who's going to end up with who so i don't likeeeeee ittttt.....
but i can't wait to read the rest of the series because it is very appealing to my tastes (i found it quite funny that the town's name is Henrietta.) ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
"She'd dream idly about careers studying tree rings. Swimming with manta rays. Scouring Costa Rica to find out more about the scale-crested pygmy tyrant. Really, she didn't know if she'd truly like to find out more about the pygmy tyrant. She just liked the name, because, for a five-foot-tall girl, pygmy tyrant sounded like a career."

The best word I can think of to describe this novel is peculiar. Or maybe just flat out bizarre. I found Blue to be charming in her oddities, sometimes hilarious, and a worthy heroine. Granting a bonus star for Blue. I think the raven boys were also meant to be charming, but they generally struck me as more insufferably coy and befuddling than anything else. Rich boys with hidden depths?! *gasp*

The Raven Boys introduces us to a collection of characters with strange hobbies in a sleepy Virginia town. The aforementioned boys are private school friends on a quest for the magic-wielding tomb of a Welsh royal, led by the cryptic and oft condescending Gansey. Their paths cross with that of Blue, the youngest resident of an eccentric household of female clairvoyants. A mystical treasure hunt of sorts ensues involving forays into the forest of Latin speaking trees, a few unfortunate premonitions, and rather a lot of danger.

At halfway through I still had only a vague inkling of what this book was actually about (energy manipulation? ley lines? long lost wish granting tombs?), which is a red flag for me. While I'm typically a fan of the quirky and unexplained, if I can't grasp the plot at over two-hundred pages into a book, my interest is going to waver. However, there were a few major (and exciting) developments in the final chapters that I think will motivate me to continue with the series. I'm hoping we can focus on the meat of this story now that Stiefvater has spent hundreds of pages making introductions. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Dang, but Stiefvater can write. This is an incredibly fast read with a fantastic cast of characters and some downright creepy gothic vibes. I wouldn't mind reading more of this series. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 29, 2017 |
The end of this book is pure perfection. Actually, everything about this book is perfection. I'm sure I looked and sounded like a crazy person while reading it, because it caused me to squeal, gasp, and laugh out loud. Thank you so much, Maggie Stiefvater, for another gorgeous, amazing story. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
A book blog I follow kept posting things about this series and I felt aware of it being mentioned in multiple places and I realised I was trying to avoid being spoiled as to plot points of it and that likely this meant I subconsciously intended to read it. Bullet bitten, it left me with a lot of mixed feelings about whether or not I'd continue. My first instinct was I'm not reading the rest of these, there's too many, I'm just going to look up the synopses to see where it goes, and I even tried but the Wikipedia page was pretty much empty and I pretty quickly went on to other things. Sitting down to write this now after a week of good reading-time I'm feeling more like what have I got to lose? So it might be good for me to reflect a little.

First off, I was pissed about the corpse roads. In my head, corpse roads have been my Thing. I didn't want other people writing about them. So I felt threatened and petty and it was totally unfair and another part of me just thought okay, kudos and also a bit of michaela, if you're going to go around laying claim to ideas, then you better damn well do something with them. If I don't write about corpse roads then I'm glad someone has.

The characters in this are really what makes the book as popular as it is, though I'm ambivalent about all of them because Stiefvater writes in this way where they are really appealing but for a lot of the wrong reasons. Also, I'm speaking chiefly of the boys. Blue is not nearly as compelling as they are, which is quite a bit of a problem because Gansey and Ronan and Adam and Noah (whose number I had from the start) are sort of predictable in their appeal. Ronan especially, whose approval the reader wants to win, and who the reader wants to persistently forgive and apologise for, and there's a good part of me that just feels this perpetuates that terrible quality so common in YA male characters. Even Gansey, to an extent, the poor little rich boy, whose good qualities don't really subvert the things they might seem to on the surface.

There was a lot about the book that reminded me of my own writing and the writing of some of my young peers, which was in some ways likeable and which in other ways put me on edge, mostly for self-critical reasons.

Ultimately, I think I reached the end of the book feeling it ought to have been a single-novel story and not a tetralogy, and that's my main motive in not deeply wishing to continue on with the series. The story only just got started by the time the book ended, and even with Stiefvater continuing to write about the characters and town and events, I feel it could have been made into a better standalone book. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible