The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Collections:Read, Connect, Last year
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult, fantasy, urban fantasy, ghosts, school, friendship, read-2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

2012 (25) 2013 (35) ARC (11) audiobook (23) ebook (16) fantasy (133) favorites (11) fiction (65) friendship (36) ghosts (53) Kindle (11) ley lines (26) magic (50) murder (18) mystery (21) paranormal (57) psychics (50) quest (12) read in 2012 (15) read in 2013 (13) romance (17) series (19) signed (11) supernatural (40) teen (21) to-read (101) Virginia (11) YA (89) young adult (98) young adult fiction (14)

3 solid crazy stars!

I have to admit there were times when I wanted to rate the book a one and then there were times when it deserved a 5. I think the problem was that it was such a original and bold storyline that it took half of the book to grasp the concept but then I found myself bored.

Maggie did deliver in the end though. I was excited to find out the twists and turns that happened along the way. I think it would fair to say that this book would most likely get better if read again.

As for the story the book summary has little to do with it. Which is sad because I was very intrigued by the summary. It sounded like it was going to be a really cool ya paranormal romance but really turned out to be a urban fantasy that kinda had similarities to The Mortal Instruments series with a Stephen King twist.

Story follows a 16 year old named Blue and four boys that are members of a pretentious school named Aglionby aka Raven Boys. The relationship with the boys are fascinating. I found I enjoyed reading about them more than Blue.

Blue's family is physic and has always been told that is she kisses her true love they will die.
That is where is starts getting weird. They all set out to find the Welsh King that is buried somewhere on the ley line aka corpse road. Known for it's magic and energy, very strange occurrences happen...and Noah wow didn't see that coming.

The more I think about this book the more I really want to reread it to have a better understanding of the first half.

Thank you Maggie for a enjoyable series.
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book! The story was fun and creepy, the characters identifiable, and the truly lovely part was that the teens in the novel actually sounded like teens. There was none of that sadly pandering language, no out-dated turns of phrase - just honest adolescent banter (despite the woefully diverse range of socio-economic status depicted).

Recommended for reluctant readers and/or fans of Fantasy. _The Dream Thieves_ (Book 2 of the Raven Boys Cycle) is out now as well. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Mar 18, 2014 |
3½ stars for the book itself. The narration by Will Patton was a definite plus.

Young adult book about a teenaged girl named Blue and the "Raven Boys", a group of boys from a local private school. Blue's family are all gifted with psychic powers; Gansey (one of the boys) is searching for the ley lines which he hopes will guide him to the burial place of an old Welsh mystic or king.

While the story itself isn't my usual cup of tea and I think that the writing could be improved, I was quickly drawn in and became interested in finding out what would happen. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 9, 2014 |
Really more like 3.5, because, honestly, this isn't good literature. The writing was clearly for a young adult audience, and it showed. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the plot, which was a pleasant surprise. I had tried to read Shiver, gave up, looked into Scorpio Races, gave up, but for some reason I enjoyed this one.
It is nothing earth shattering, and I will most definitely have to read some more Austen or Mitford or a Bronte to get my head back on straight, but I liked that the romance was minimal and how well thought out all the characters were. Though I won't be rushing out to get the sequel, when my library gets a copy I am curious enough to take a look. ( )
  abookishcorner | Mar 4, 2014 |
The style and tension were amazing! The bits of humor, impeccable and unexpected! And the characters were beautiful and alive. However, I had expected more from the ending. Lacking the sense that there was too much to contain in one book, I felt the book left some important promises unfulfilled. Despite this, I did thoroughly enjoy the book and can't wait to pick up the sequel. ( )
  LaPhenix | Feb 11, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible