The raven boys by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

The raven boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

1,2061196,637 (4.13)98
Member:puttocklibrary
Title:The raven boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:death, fantasy, fiction, psychics, ya

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

2012 (25) 2013 (36) ARC (11) audiobook (24) ebook (19) fantasy (143) fiction (66) friendship (36) ghosts (55) Kindle (12) ley lines (27) magic (51) murder (18) mystery (23) paranormal (60) psychics (50) quest (14) Raven Cycle (12) read in 2012 (16) read in 2013 (14) romance (21) series (26) signed (12) supernatural (46) teen (24) to-read (125) Virginia (11) YA (91) young adult (102) young adult fiction (14)

A mix of A Separate Peace and The Goonies, with a few ancient supernatural forces thrown in for good measure.

Blue Sargent is a signal booster for the supernatural, which makes her a blessing to both her professionally clairvoyant family and a few boys at the local boarding school who’ve been chasing a legend. Blue can’t see the spirits herself, though she accompanies her mother annually to a graveyard on St. Mark’s Eve, where those destined to die in the coming year pass through. When Blue sees her first spirit, one of those Aglionby boys, she knows one of two things: he is either her true love, or she will be the one to kill him. Though she knows nothing good can come from running with the privileged Raven Boys of Aglionby Academy, she can’t help but be caught up in the search for an ancient Welsh king, led by the boy who will break her heart.

Obviously this book came out awhile ago and, as I had pre-ordered it, I read it pretty much the instant it was released. As a big fan of both The Goonies and A Separate Peace, the story was right up my alley, though I felt as a novel it didn’t always work. Now that we are on the eve of The Dream Thieves release, I thought it was about time I posted a review. Let me just state out front that I will be reading the sequel.

There are a lot of elements at play in the story of Blue and The Raven Boys’ search for Glendower, and some work better than others. Blue’s family is easily the strongest aspect: a houseful of spiritually attuned women who use their gifts for second sight to make a living, the dynamic between the different seers makes for great reading. One of the most chilling scenes in the novel takes place at Blue’s house, and it gave me the genuine, all-out willies. One of the weaker elements is the depiction of the boys themselves. The narrative rests heavily on their relationship, and their interactions don’t always ring true. Each of them is an interesting, fleshed-out character, but when they speak to each other it sounds like a girl imagining a conversation between boys rather than one boys would actually have. There is a villain of sorts, but his story is joined to the main narrative so awkwardly that I keep forgetting he exists.

This is a story with massive potential, and while The Raven Boys didn’t always hit the right notes for me, I will absolutely be back to find out what happens in The Dream Thieves. The novel has adventure, realistic romance, spooky supernatural moments, and healthy doses of mystery and humor. It probably suffered slightly in my view because it followed the near-perfect The Scorpio Races, but I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed The Goonies, A Separate Peace, or even Indiana Jones. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I am perplexed by this book. I'm just honestly not sure what I think of it! I have to say: this is an odd feeling.

Blue Sargent has grown up with a psychic mother and a house full of her mother's gifted friends. She isn't psychic, but Blue is something special. She has the ability to amplify energy - like turning up the volume for those who do have psychic abilities. And, Blue is special for another reason: she will one day kill her true love.

The raven boys are Gansey, Ronan, Luke, and Adam, all students at Aglionby - a Ivy-league prep school for boys in Henrietta, VA. Gansey is - and has been - searching for a buried Welsh king who, when found, will re-awake and grant a wish to the one who finds him. Clearly the leader of the quartet, Gansey has surrounded himself with an interesting group:

Adam is a scholarship student at Aglionby, determined to pull himself out of his current situation on his own terms.
Ronan is troubled, angry, and grieving, but his friends see a special potential in him.
And Noah, well, Noah is an enigma even among those who know him best.
When Blue crosses paths with the raven boys, something . . . new begins. Her energy is a spark to Gansey's search and there is a growing affection between her and Adam. All of them can feel the newness, but none of them can fully understand what is going on. (Nor can I!)

I'm conflicted about my feelings for this book. The character canvas is crowded and the energy around ley lines and magic and psychic ability further complicates the plot. And there there is something intriguing about this book. How can Blue kill her true love with a kiss? What is really going on in the "enchanted forest" the group discovered? And is it Adam or Gansey who is Blue's true love? I'm still not 100% sure what's going on in the Raven Cycle, but I am interested enough to carry on with the series in order to find out what happens next. I would give it a rating of 3.5/5. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
This book is superbly written. Nothing like the Shiver series which I had to force myself to finish. The author has grown and I personally think has come into herself. The story is crafted in such a way that builds interest, a like for characters and just enough plot development to keep bringing me back for more. Leaving some secrets hidden and dropping a bomb at the end of the book plus the general pace of the storytelling leaves me thinking that this just might not be a trilogy but maybe 4 books instead. ( )
  cfranson | Jun 27, 2014 |
The Raven Boys, A Haunting Tale of Friendship, Family, Privilege, and the Supernatural.
At the heart of Maggie Stiefvater’s latest work for Young Adults, The Raven Boys, lies a haunting tale that delivers so much more than a mere story of the supernatural, as fans have of Stiefvater have come to expect. This intricately woven novel explores the depths of friendship, the true meaning of family, and the lengths some people will go to achieve the impossible.
Sixteen-year-old Blue Sargent’s clairvoyant mother and “aunts” have warned her against falling in love for as long as she can remember. But these come not from the the jaded wounds of the women’s own experiences, but from their own reading of her future. Each has “seen” that Blue will one day kill her “true love” with a kiss. The prophecy hangs over the story like the mythical combination of the Tantalus’s fruit hanging just out of reach, and a precarious Sword of Damocles overhead. With each page readers will find themselves alternately cheering for and worrying over the Raven Boys of the title, students at the prestigious Aglionby Academy, the private college prep school of the rich, famous, and spoiled. The boys themselves, however, have something other than romance and mischief-making on their minds. Led by the charismatic, charming, and notably not stereotypical rich kid, Richard Gansey, III, the boys’ are hunting for the final resting place of the legendary Owen Glendower, a medieval Welsh noble, and “freedom fighter” who fought against the English occupation of his homeland. According to myths told about the knight, his body was brought to the Americas and buried where the mysterious powers of ancient Ley Lines have preserved him in a perpetual sleep. To the one who awakens him, Glendower will grant one wish.
But make no mistake, this is no mere story of forbidden love and fairy tale quests. The boys of Aglionby, along with Blue, embark on a search for the sleeping knight that puts them all directly in the path of others, whose motives for awaking the knight are not about the discovery itself. Using the arts of a master storyteller, humor, imagination, and a keenly observed talent for the voices of young people, Stiefvater takes her readers deep into the individual psyches of her characters, revealing the painful truth of their longing, their losses, and the complexity of family dynamics, both the love and the hate. Along the way, Stiefvater leaves a trail of clues that point straight to the inevitable revelations about the boys’ friendships, lives, and one not so restful afterlife.
While the story hints at sexual tension, it barely moves beyond flirtation between Blue and Adam, the Raven Boy who attends Aglionby on scholarship and works three jobs to pay the rest of the hefty tuition. Mild incidents of “questionable” behavior include drinking, neglect of school work, and the practice of witchcraft. The two most violent scenes grow organically out of the story and involve the beating of Adam by his own father, and some gunplay, that, while tense, spare the reader gory details.
The conclusion of this first volume of a series will leave you eager and anxious to return to the quest in the next volume. ( )
  lps3 | Jun 20, 2014 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible