The raven boys by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

The raven boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

1,3891525,474 ()112
Member:puttocklibrary
Title:The raven boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:death, fantasy, fiction, psychics, ya

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Originally posted in One Less Lonely Blog

This is the first book of "The Raven Cycle" and it is as it is, an introductory book. There's a plot going on and there's the plot of the series but it is mostly a "getting to know the characters" book. We get to know each character, part of their story, what they want and what they feel. The book is written in third person and we get inside everyone's head. It was a little hard to get into it at the beginning but you get used to it.

Everything about this book was new to me because I never read a story like this. It was very unpredictable and fun. There's not too much romance, but everytime something romantic happened my heart skipped beats. This is the kind of book that you want everything but you don't get what you want and you need more and more. I can't wait to read the sequels. I know (I hope) that everything I wanted to happen in this book will happen somewhere in the next 2 books. I can't wait to read what happens with Blue and the thing about her "true love". Gahh!! ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Another great book to start out the year. Need to get both reviews done tonight. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
This review is now LIVE! Click on the link to read the full post!

“Aglionby Academy was the number one reason Blue had developed her two rules: One, stay away from boys because they were trouble. And two, stay away from Aglionby boys, because they were bastards.”

I have to say, if I hadn't been able to warm up to the characters, this book would've been skimming two stars from me. No matter how intriguing the plot is and how well the world-building is done, if a character gets on my nerves, it's game over.

What I liked:

- The plot, although not entirely original, was really well done. Stiefvater does a great job of tying lots of little story lines together form something akin to a cat's cradle game. This isn't just the story of a girl who will kill her true love by kissing him, but also of Welsh legends and a group of boys' perseverance in finding Glendower.

- The characters. Especially Ronan. He's just awesome. I like a snarky badass as much as the next person, but Ronan is amazingly done. I really connected with him.

- The amount of research that obviously went into this. We're given a tonne of information, and the way it's spread out doesn't weigh too much on your brain. It doesn't info-dump at all.

What I didn't like:

- I'm so done with quirky. So done. And Blue is beyond quirky, and tries too hard to be with her handmade clothes and cardboard trees and weird attitude.

- Gansey's OTT personality. He brings a whole new level to the maturity game, and acts like a ninety year old man rather than a 17 (?) year old boy. He comes out with crap like "My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them." Can't you just say "I have foot-in-mouth disease"? Or "I can't seem to know when to shut up." That would work.

- Adam. What an ass. He has to be the only character I didn't warm up to, and I don't plan to do so either. He just sucks.

3.5 stars.

Full review to come on 100% Rock! ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
This was great! I've had a lot of mediocre/bad YA recs this past year, and I bought this one only because it was a dollar. I almost gave up on it with the weird psychic family beginning and the rather generic "you will kill the first boy you kiss" prophecy.

But everything here is so delightfully weird, and the characters stay pretty original. I like their individual struggles and motivations, and I liked the quest for the king. And I LOVED the way the plot just kept building the weirdness. Normally it bugs me when a novel foreshadows like this, but this one struck a good balance.

If I had one criticism, it's that it ended incredibly abruptly, and the resolution was for a story that didn't develop until the end of the novel. I was surprised that most of the main narrative threads were left hanging. I was also a little baffled by the powerful psychic at the end. Was she evil, or what? I didn't think so?

But I'm definitely continuing to book 2. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jan 23, 2015 |
Beautifully written, with wonderful characterizations and a compelling plot. I am really looking forward to the rest of the series!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,689,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible