The raven boys by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

The raven boys (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-

2,2062062,943 (4.1)131
Title:The raven boys
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater, 1981-
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:death, fantasy, fiction, psychics, ya

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Check out more reviews on the blog www.RealLifary.com

Blue Sargent lives a pretty unconventional life in the conventional small town of Henrietta, VA. Raised by a household of women psychics, Blue wasn't born with the same gifts as her mother but she was born with the power to amplify the gifts of others. Every year on the eve of the feast of St. Mark, Blue goes with her mother to watch the dead walk the line. She never sees them herself, but serves as an amplifier to her mother who records the names of these dead who are destined to die in the next year, for paying customers. Until this year that is. This year Blue sees one boy, an Aglionby boy called Gansey. Known as Raven Boys, they are students of the prestigious prep school known to turn out politicians and powerful business men. The thing is, the only way she could have possibly seen him, according to the women in her house, is if he is her true love... or if she is to be the one to kill him. A looming prophesy told to her as long as she can remember becomes that much more real. If you kiss your true love, he will die. Gansey is on his own quest in search of the mythical Welsh king, Gwendower, with his band of Raven boys, Adam, Ronan, and Noah. The teenagers paths ultimately cross soon after the eve of St. Mark and entangle them in deadly magic, romance, mystery, and destiny.

So let me just go ahead and say this right off the bat, go buy this book or check it out from the library...like now. This book is the perfect mix of mysticism, magic, and mystery. The characters together each bring the perfect balance to the group. I am super pumped to see where this prophecy takes us (that's gotta suck for a highschool girl to know she can't kiss her true love or oops, she kills him!) Along with some hints throughout the book, including some pretty intense visions the characters experience, I think I have some ideas but I honestly can't be sure considering Maggie threw a major plot twist in there about three fourths of the way through the book ( I did NOT see that coming, my jaw literally dropped with that one!) Who knows what that crazy lady will spring on us in books 2-4?! The author does such a wonderful job of really painting a complete picture for each of the characters, as a reader you really get a sense for who they are and she gives us great information about what really drives each character. I have a feeling all these driving factors will really play a part in the larger story playing out throughout the series. The setting Maggie chose for the novel is quaint, with a hint of magic and otherworldlyness which lends itself well to the story. Overall, I was more than satisfied with this book, it has all the makings for a spectacular series! ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Oct 24, 2016 |
I just randomly decided to read this and I'm very happy I did. It was fantastic, an unexpected new favorite. I thought the writing strange at first, not in a bad way, it was a little different for me, I had to re-read a paragraph or two at first to get accustomed to it. Wasn't sure if I was grasping what I read but I thought it was very interesting and refreshing.

The best things about this book are the wonderfully created characters. I loved Blue, she is eccentric and eclectic, I don't think she has a shallow bone in her body, even if she was insecure about her looks or style I would still consider that a teetering on shallow. Blue was the opposite, she doesn't seem to worry about what others think of her shabby chic style or what they think of her. Blue's home life is as eccentric as she herself and definitely makes her unique but doesn't define her.

And the Raven boys, Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah, not what I would have expected of privileged boys attending a so-called pre-Ivy League all boys high school. While most of these boys are privileged, and it comes out sometimes, as you get to know them you realize that no offense should be taken and that what you see is what you get. They all have some kind of personal baggage that rears it's ugly head at times but that flawed quality just make them seem more real. Gansey, privileged as heck but doesn't wear it on his sleeves. Cares a lot about his friends and tends to get himself in trouble when he speaks. His entitled upbringing is always on the tip of his tongue in an accidental or unknowing way. Adam, far from privileged, is desperate to be seen as an equal in the eyes of his friends, doesn't freeload and feels stuck in a bad situation. Ronan, secrets keeps him angry, distant and untrustworthy of others. Noah, always seems to know things the others don't know, the most secretive but most lovable one of the group.

As for the story, I like the originality, yes psychics, but no vampires, werewolves, or demons, except maybe a villain or two. Blue didn't plan on having anything to do with the boys from Aglionby private school, she didn't plan on having anything to do with boys period. Blue made judgement's about the boys that attend Aglionby but then she finds out her future is possibly linked to a boy from said school. Blue and the Raven boys lives become entwined when they come together for a common goal. The story kept growing and new revelations and secrets appear making it more exciting and intriguing. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by my love for this book. I had heard great things, but a title character names Gansey was a bit of a concern! In all seriousness I loves the merging of all the elements in the story. The psychic abilities, agro-male ambition, teenage wisdom, and pure intrigue of Henrietta VA all came together to produce a really magical story. The development of many of the characters was shocking and mind boggling at times. As soon as I started to feel like I understood a character a new piece of their world or thought process was revealed to prove me wrong. I can't wait to learn more about Ronan in book 2, and about all the boys throughout the course of the series. However, I am most excited to see how Blue grows into her world. ( )
  sammaeb | Sep 13, 2016 |
So glad I picked up this book after literally years of my best friend telling me to! Had a hard time with the beginning of the book, as it felt very cliche, and lately I have had little patience for typical YA tropes. That being said, I was sucked in ny around page 60 and flew through it. I look forward to reading the next books! ( )
  watersgendry | Aug 18, 2016 |
Lots of interesting things going on in this first installment. Some things weren't a surprise, some were. The story is really good and the characters well defined. I liked Blue's family and the family Gansey made--comparing the two is fun. I love the magic and the psychic abilities. Very entertaining and engaging. ( )
  waclements7 | Jul 24, 2016 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.

Though she is from a family of clairvoyants, Blue Sargent's only gift seems to be that she makes other people's talents stronger, and when she meets Gansey, one of the Raven Boys from the expensive Aglionby Academy, she discovers that he has talents of his own--and that together their talents are a dangerous mix.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,769,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible