The Raven Boys (Raven Boys Quartet) by…

The Raven Boys (Raven Boys Quartet) (edition 2012)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Member:KateOrmand
Title:The Raven Boys (Raven Boys Quartet)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Re-reading this was one of the best things I've done. The Raven Boys still is a book I thoroughly enjoy. Though it and its sequels definitely have issues here and there, Stiefvater's writing has really grown from what it was in The Wolves of Mercy Falls and The Scorpio Races. The boys still are amazing, the plot twist with Noah still has me sort of gasping every time I read about it and this world of Glendower and the leylines I just can't help falling in love with. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was interesting enough to keep me listening until the end. On the other hand, the plot was too jumbled, the writing was not that polished, and there were other issues that kept me from giving this a higher rating.

Likes:
-The twists (most of them). They kept me invested in the story and weren't predictable.
-Blue. I liked that she was a character surrounded by supernatural powers who possessed no real powers of her own, and who goes on a quest just to bring a little magic to her life.

Dislikes:
-The cross-genre. I like cross-genres in general (historical fiction plus fantasy, sci-fi plus fantasy, etc.). But for some reason this didn't do it for me, this paranormal plus...adventure? Treasure hunting? It just seemed strange and they didn't mesh well.
-Too many characters. Having a lot of characters works in some books. It didn't in this one. I couldn't get attached to all of them. I think the plot would have worked much better with the elimination of Calla, Persephone, Neeve, and Adam. All of their individual stories could have been combined with other characters'.
-The ending. I get it...you want to end your book on another twist. But it isn't really a "twist" if we don't know what you're talking about! Ronan pulled his raven Chainsaw from his dreams? What?! Obviously this little tidbit leading into the second book, The Dream Thieves, but seems tacked on solely for that purpose. Otherwise it's without context, especially in that particular conversation at the end.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
i love my sweet children, Blue, Noah, Ronan, Adam and uh *stares at smudged writing on my hand* Garfunkel ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
que raio de final foi aquele?!?!?!? ainda não sei quanto vou dar.
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |
This book is a fantasy-magic-ya delight. It's the story of Blue Sargent who lives in Henrietta, Virginia. She is the one non-psychic in a family/house full of psychics; however, she does have her own special talent. Blue is a magical amplifier. When she is around magical things/events become stronger.

For the majority of her 16 years, Blue has been told that kissing her true love will kill him. So naturally, she's sworn off boys--especially boys from Aglionby Academy, the local private all-boys school. It's where all of the ridiculously rich families send their sons. In Blue's experience the students of Aglionby are rich, entitled brats, and it's just smart--logical-- to steer clear of them.

That is until Blue has her first psychic experience. During a yearly family custom in which they sit in an old church yard and take down the names of the spirits who will die within the next year, Blue sees a spirit. It is the spirit of a boy and Blue learns that she has seen him because he will either die by her hands...or he's her one true love.

Enter the Raven Boys, Gansey, Ronan, Adam, and Noah. They are on a search to find the local ley lines in order to help them find and ancient Welsh king, Glendower, also called The Raven King. The group is drawn together in the quest to find the ley lines, wake them up, and eventually find the Raven King. But they aren't the only ones on this quest. It becomes a race to be the first to find the heart of the ley lines and perform the ritual to wake it up. And throughout, Blue is determined not to fall in love with any of her Raven Boys.

There is magic, lies, betrayal, murder...everything you need in a good book. I loved the story and the characters. It was well paced and kept me interested all throughout. ( )
  Virago77 | Jul 29, 2018 |

Stiefvater, Maggieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deep into that darkness, long I stood

there, wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever

dared to dream before...

~Edgar Allan Poe
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~Oscar Wilde
For Brenna, who is good at looking for things
Prologue: Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.
Chapter 1: It was freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrived.

Walking spirits, true
Love, ley lines and the Welsh king
Owen Glendower.
(passion4reading)
Does Gansey's spirit
On the corpse road mean that Blue
Has killed him? Watch, wait.
(passion4reading)

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them--not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all--family money, good looks, devoted friends--but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible