Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel by…

Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel

by Alice Randall

28None398,978 (3.67)None

Ada’s Rules is subtitled ‘A Sexy Skinny Novel’ which is apt. This book is novel, taking the journey of one (fictional) woman’s weight loss, combining weight loss tips (some good, some I’d doubt the scientific validity of) with the problems of ailing parents, a husband who might be cheating and daughters that might be taking the wrong path.

Ada’s motivation for losing weight is a common one – the dreaded school reunion and meeting of a former flame. However, this girl is determined with a capital D. Organising herself with a diary/food journal and an ever-growing list of rules (every chapter is titled with one of Ada’s rules), she begins to kick butt. Some of these rules are common sense – such as exercising - but I’m not too sure that the diet based on your DNA has much supporting evidence.

But it’s not just excess weight plaguing Ada. She’s worried that her husband might be cheating. She’s worried that she might cheat with a former flame (especially as he likes ‘skinny girls’). Her daughters are starting to put on weight and all her sisters died from complications relating to diabetes. Her mum doesn’t recognise her, living in an alcoholic delirium. Her business is trying to stay afloat to support children from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Despite all this, Ada manages to stay positive and on the weight loss wagon most of the time. I found this book to be inspiring in places (telling me that it is a good idea to walk up 10 flights of stairs or ignoring work morning tea goodies) but sometimes some of Ada’s positive steps rubbed off on me the wrong way, leading me to think, ‘I deserve that ice cream!’ Not so good.

It’s definitely a unique idea to wrap self-help tips for weight loss around an interesting, light novel. I wonder if this book could be treated as some cognitive behavioural therapy? (I did lose 1kg while reading it!) I also thought it was good that Randall brought to light the complications of diabetes and their consequences, as I feel this isn’t something that it widely known or taken seriously in the general media. The overall positive tone makes you feel that weight loss is achievable, whether it be 1kg or more than 20kg – it’s just a series of small steps.

It’s an easy and fun read, but you’ll take away some important messages about food and exercise. I really like books that teach while entertain and if you do too, you’ll be cheering Ada on the whole way.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Sep 15, 2012 |
For anyone who has ever struggled with their weight, or had doubts about their choice in partners, this book is for you. Ada turns 50 and decides she wants to slim down for her 25th college reunion where she will see her first love, Matt Mason. Always faithful to her husband, Preach, Ada is so unhappy about her marriage that she even considers rekindling her old flame. What she finds out about life, love, and herself throughout her journey to lose 100 lbs. is both entertaining and insightful. The climax of the novel was very satisfying and worth the read. Randall's writing style is easy to read and humorous. I romped through the book in one day! ( )
  speedy74 | Jun 12, 2012 |

Ada Howard, the wife of the preacher at Nashville's Full Love Baptist Tabernacle, has a whole lot of people to take care of. There's her husband and the flock that comes with him, plus the kids at the day care centre where she works, two grown daughters, and two ailing, wayward parents. It's no wonder she can't find time to take care of hersel. Then it comes: the announcement of her twenty-five-year college reunion in twelve months' time, signed with a wink by her old campus flame. It sets Ada thinking about the thrills of young love lost, and the hundred or so pounds gained since her college days, and she decides it's high time to change her body, and her life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible