Nattens vingar by Martin Cruz Smith

Nattens vingar (original 1977; edition 1986)

by Martin Cruz Smith

Title:Nattens vingar
Authors:Martin Cruz Smith
Info:Stockholm : MånPocket, 1986 ;

Nightwing by Martin Cruz Smith (1977)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)
I am quite a fan of Martin Cruz Smith's more recent books, so I've been working on picking up his older ones as well. This one, however, I'd recommend giving a miss. I recognize that horror often depends on taking ordinary things and making them somehow "spooky," but "Nightwing" engages in fearmongering that could be genuinely harmful to a necessary and helpful population of bats that are in delicate balance if not actively threatened, often by presenting fictional information as though it were scientific fact.
The plot has to do with a Native American deputy caught between two worlds. His girlfriend is Caucasian, but his best friend, an old shaman, is disgusted with the modern world, and threatens to do a magic working that will end the world, leaving only the people of his tribe to start again. The deputy, naturally, thinks this is just bluster - but when a bat-spread plague begins spreading to epidemic proportions, doubt sets in. He might be able to do something to stop it - but that would also be a betrayal of his people.
The book is reasonably well-written, and (just barely) stays on the right side of the line as far as stereotypes of native Americans - but the portrayals of bats and their behavior patterns are nothing short of libelous. Even though this was written quite some years ago, I believe the author should step up and make a hefty donation to the cause of combating the bat plague - that is, the plague that is seriously wiping out the bat populations of the Northeastern US. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Typical seventies disaster/thriller nature run amok. ( )
  hredwards | May 11, 2014 |
this book wasn;t anything specail. i mean it's nt the worst book ive read but not the best. i kept thinking something would happen when sadly it didn't.i thought the indian magic was pretty cool though. sand art is really pretty! ( )
  avhacker | Dec 9, 2010 |
This early Cruz Smith novel is a somewhat macabre tale set in the New Mexico desert. Youngman Duran is a Hopi Indian Deputy who is trying to discover the reason for a series of deaths in which the victims appear to have been repeatedly slashed with razor-like cuts. In fact, vampire bats are the culprits, and they also carry the plague bacillus. Local government is attempting a cover-up while a scientist, Hayden Paine is trying to eradicate the bat colony. There is suspense and tension, plenty of background research, and also a love interest, but at this early stage, Cruz Smith’s talents are just beginning to develop. ( )
1 vote dwate | Jan 4, 2010 |
Well, to begin with, the synopsis is not entirely accurate. The book is not about vampires but vampire bats, and as far as I can tell, the 'entire American Southwest' was not threatened, though it could have been if the story didn't work out. Add to that the mediocre writing style, and what could have been an exciting novel comes up a fizzer. I found Night Wing to be predictable and not overly thrilling. I doubt I'll be seeking out any more of Smith's work. ( )
  seldombites | Nov 30, 2008 |
When was I born?

Where did I come from?

Where am I going?

What am I?

--the Hopi questions
The Red Man tobacco sign--an Indian profile with a corroded eye--stared west.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345370597, Mass Market Paperback)

"Genuinely horrifying." THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Vampire bats: Evil. Clever.
Driven by blood-hunger across the American landscape, they bred and multiplied, unseen and unsuspected, each one a grisly messenger of death. No warm-blooded creature is safe from their thirst. Now, as darkness gathers, the sky is filled with the frantic motion, the maddening murmur of . . . Nightwing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:41 -0400)

Shortly before his death, an old Hopi medicine man, despairing of the future of his people in the white man's world, prophesies the end of the world - a prophecy that soon begins to come true.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,835,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible