Nattens vingar by Martin Cruz Smith

Nattens vingar (original 1977; edition 1986)

by Martin Cruz Smith

Member:liftarn
Title:Nattens vingar
Authors:Martin Cruz Smith
Info:Stockholm : MånPocket, 1986 ;
Rating:**

Nightwing by Martin Cruz Smith (1977)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)
Typical seventies disaster/thriller nature run amok. ( )
  hredwards | May 11, 2014 |
this book wasn;t anything specail. i mean it's nt the worst book ive read but not the best. i kept thinking something would happen when sadly it didn't.i thought the indian magic was pretty cool though. sand art is really pretty! ( )
  avhacker | Dec 9, 2010 |
This early Cruz Smith novel is a somewhat macabre tale set in the New Mexico desert. Youngman Duran is a Hopi Indian Deputy who is trying to discover the reason for a series of deaths in which the victims appear to have been repeatedly slashed with razor-like cuts. In fact, vampire bats are the culprits, and they also carry the plague bacillus. Local government is attempting a cover-up while a scientist, Hayden Paine is trying to eradicate the bat colony. There is suspense and tension, plenty of background research, and also a love interest, but at this early stage, Cruz Smith’s talents are just beginning to develop. ( )
  dwate | Jan 4, 2010 |
Well, to begin with, the synopsis is not entirely accurate. The book is not about vampires but vampire bats, and as far as I can tell, the 'entire American Southwest' was not threatened, though it could have been if the story didn't work out. Add to that the mediocre writing style, and what could have been an exciting novel comes up a fizzer. I found Night Wing to be predictable and not overly thrilling. I doubt I'll be seeking out any more of Smith's work. ( )
  seldombites | Nov 30, 2008 |
I really enjoyed this book. It's probably not really that fantastic in terms of it's overall merit, but something about it really appealed to me. Set on a Hopi reservation, the local law enforcement agent finds himself dealing with a bizarre threat - evil, killer BATS! I read it more than once - there was something about the detail here that I found fascinating, and it was scary, too. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 5, 2007 |
When was I born?

Where did I come from?

Where am I going?

What am I?

--the Hopi questions
FOR KNOX AND KITTY
The Red Man tobacco sign--an Indian profile with a corroded eye--stared west.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345370597, Mass Market Paperback)

"Genuinely horrifying." THE WASHINGTON POST BOOK WORLD
Vampire bats: Evil. Clever.
Deadly.
Driven by blood-hunger across the American landscape, they bred and multiplied, unseen and unsuspected, each one a grisly messenger of death. No warm-blooded creature is safe from their thirst. Now, as darkness gathers, the sky is filled with the frantic motion, the maddening murmur of . . . Nightwing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:12 -0400)

Shortly before his death, an old Hopi medicine man, despairing of the future of his people in the white man's world, prophesies the end of the world - a prophecy that soon begins to come true.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,007,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible