Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

Title:Nightshifted
Authors:Cassie Alexander
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

Recently added byBugetta, private library, DeliciousTales, sunset_x_cocktail, JennyJen, QuirkyGirl22

3.5* ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
This book is imaginative and entertaining, but I found the protagonist to be a bit too passive for my tastes. She's emotionally strong and quite willing to put herself into danger, but once there mostly waits for other characters to tell her how to get out of danger. ( )
  Mythobeast | Apr 27, 2014 |
Reluctantly, nurse Edie Spence took a job on floor Y4 in exchange for her junkie brother staying clean. (It works, but that hardly solves all his problems.) Y4 is the floor where zombies come to regenerate, vampires come to get blood transfusions, and psychotic shapeshifters get dosed on Haldol. A dying patient draws Edie into vampire business, and soon she’s on trial for vampire murder—with her immortal soul at stake. Assisted by a lovesick zombie, an attractive shapeshifter, and a cagey vampire lawyer, Edie must track down the vampire girl witness who can explain her actions.

Interesting enough read, but not quite compelling to draw me into the whole series. ( )
  jholcomb | Mar 9, 2014 |
Review previously posted on my blog: http://lbrychic.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-nightshifted-by-cassie-alexander.htm...

Ever wonder where the supernatural get medical attention? Well, Floor Y4 at County General is where they go and Edie Spence is the newest edition to the nursing staff.
It's been mentioned a few times that it's rather a paranormal "Grey's Anatomy" and I can see that a bit. Edie gets herself in trouble with the Vampires and has to track down the one person who can help her win her case. This book has a little bit of a lot.... Vampires, Werewolves, Dragons, Zombies and Spirits to name a few.
This was a good start for the series. Can't wait to pick up Moonshifted to see what happens to Edie and the gang next.
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |
3.5 *s. This one started a little rough for me. I found the writing a little choppy and wish there had been a little more world building up front. But once I got my legs under me it all seemed to even out. I really liked Edie and felt for her situation. I also liked the hospital setting. There's a lot of "inside baseball" nurse stuff that I probably missed but that didn't stop me enjoying her coworkers, the different races in this world and the reasons they find themselves in the special, secret section of the hospital.

While there are the typical vampire and were races, this is UF and not PNR. The vamps are more scary than sexy and you don't see much of the weres. I think they're featured in book 2. The zombie love interest is a little off-putting. In some ways it speaks to Edie's loneliness that her most normal relationship is with a zombie and Ti is likable enough. In the end he's heroic but, you know, a zombie. However, unlike some other authors, I never felt like Alexander was putting on a freak show. It just seemed like two lonely people coming together.

For me, this one finished a lot stronger than it started and I'm certainly interested in the next in the series. ( )
1 vote CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Nursing school prepared Edie Spence for a lot of things. Burn victims? No problem. Severed limbs? Piece of cake. Vampires? No way in hell. But as the newest nurse on Y4, the secret ward hidden in the bowels of County Hospital, Edie has her hands full with every paranormal patient you can imagine - from vamps and were-things to zombies and beyond.

Edie’s just trying to learn the ropes so she can get through her latest shift unscathed. But when a vampire servant turns to dust under her watch, all hell breaks loose. Now she’s haunted by the man’s dying words - Save Anna - and before she knows it she’s on a mission to rescue some poor girl from the undead - which involves crashing a vampire den, falling for a zombie, and fighting for her soul. Grey’s Anatomy was never like this.

In addition to being a writer, Cassie Alexander is an active registered nurse in California. Nightshifted is her debut novel.

From debut author Cassie Alexander comes a spectacular new urban fantasy series where working the nightshift can be a real nightmare.Nothing compares to being Nightshifted.

48 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible