Murder on Fifth Avenue by Victoria Thompson

Murder on Fifth Avenue (edition 2012)

by Victoria Thompson

Member:navelos
Title:Murder on Fifth Avenue
Authors:Victoria Thompson
Info:Berkley (2012), Kindle Edition, 300 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Murder On Fifth Avenue by Victoria Thompson

This is book fourteen of the Gaslight Mystery series featuring midwife Sarah Brandt and police detective Frank Malloy. Frank is called to the Knickerbocker Club by Felix Decker, Sarah's father, who asks him to discretely investigate the murder of one of the members. Chilton Devries, a nasty but wealthy businessman, appears to have been stabbed by a very thin, sharp object. He didn't realize he was mortally wounded and apparently bled to death internally at the club. Since Devries was such a horrible man, there are numerous suspects. Frank asks Sarah to help him investigate by interviewing the victim's family member. He thinks because she comes from a wealthy society family she may be able to get more information from them than he can.

I enjoy this somewhat cozy historical mystery series. The characters are interesting and it's fun to see Sarah dabble in a little amateur sleuthing. She and Frank share a fun and humorous connection that hasn't turned to romance yet. They are both widowed, Sarah has adopted a young girl, and Frank is father to a young deaf boy. I'm not sure why the author hasn't developed their relationship yet, but am confident that she eventually will.

I read this as a comfort series, one that is familiar but where I learn a little bit about Victorian New York City. The author portrays it in a very atmospheric way. While this wasn't my favorite of the books I've read, I still found it enjoyable and plan to continue with the next book in the series, [Murder in Chelsea]. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 21, 2016 |
I spent much of Murder on Fifth Avenue thinking I 'd already figured out the killer and the method. I was wrong on both counts, although dead to rights on one of the monstrous deeds the supposed victim did. Indeed, the murdered man was so horrible that if the second murder hadn't taken place (and if it wouldn't have been a very unchristian reaction), it would have been time to break out the champagne. ( )
  JalenV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Felix Decker, Sarah Brandt’s father, is a member of the Knickerbocker Club, whose members are descended from New York’s earliest Dutch settlers. So, when a member of the club dies there, murdered, Felix Decker requests the police send Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy, a friend of his daughter’s. Turns out the victim, Chilton Devries, was stabbed with a long pointed object and didn’t die until much later, as he bled to death internally.

Preliminary interviews give Frank more suspects to investigate. Devries was not a nice man and there are several suspects who had a good enough motive for murder. Against his own better judgment, Frank asks nurse/midwife Sarah Brandt to help him. He’s less at home in homes of the wealthy than she is, and he hopes Sarah can gain more insight than he, an Irish cop in 1890s New York City, can.

I’ve been binge-reading this series and with Murder on Fifth Avenue I’m through it (I read them out of order, which I don’t recommend) and await the 2016 addition. I’ve already put it on hold at the library. These books are page-turners, and the main and secondary characters are just wonderful, and the plotting and writing are exceptional. Bring on more!!! ( )
  NewsieQ | May 2, 2016 |
Another excellent read and I was truly bewildered by who the murderer was until just about the end. On the other hand, I thought Sarah Brandt and Frank Mulloy were absurdly slow in figuring out one of the injustices that the victim had to his credit. I figured that out at the very beginning but we were more than halfway through the book before Mulloy started to get a glimmer. No matter...the book was quite good! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Felix Decker (Sarah's father) calls on Malloy to investigate the death of a member of his Gentleman's Club. Felix in turn also asks Sarah & his wife to discreetly interview the dead man's widow, son & daughter-in-law.

As it turns out the dead man was really a nasty piece of work and more than one person wanted him dead.

I didn't guess who did it.... but I liked the story, it was easy to read, it held my interest, & the ending was a bit of a surprise. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
To my daughter Ellen,
for introducing me to Fifth Avenue
"Detective Sergeant Malloy?"

High society member Felix Decker, who belongs to one of New York's oldest families, resigns himself to partnering up with Irish Catholic police detective Frank Malloy when a member of his private club is murdered in nineteenth-century Manhattan.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible