Murder on Fifth Avenue by Victoria Thompson

Murder on Fifth Avenue (edition 2012)

by Victoria Thompson

Member:navelos
Title:Murder on Fifth Avenue
Authors:Victoria Thompson
Info:Berkley (2012), Kindle Edition, 300 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Murder On Fifth Avenue by Victoria Thompson

Felix Decker, Sarah Brandt’s father, is a member of the Knickerbocker Club, whose members are descended from New York’s earliest Dutch settlers. So, when a member of the club dies there, murdered, Felix Decker requests the police send Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy, a friend of his daughter’s. Turns out the victim, Chilton Devries, was stabbed with a long pointed object and didn’t die until much later, as he bled to death internally.

Preliminary interviews give Frank more suspects to investigate. Devries was not a nice man and there are several suspects who had a good enough motive for murder. Against his own better judgment, Frank asks nurse/midwife Sarah Brandt to help him. He’s less at home in homes of the wealthy than she is, and he hopes Sarah can gain more insight than he, an Irish cop in 1890s New York City, can.

I’ve been binge-reading this series and with Murder on Fifth Avenue I’m through it (I read them out of order, which I don’t recommend) and await the 2016 addition. I’ve already put it on hold at the library. These books are page-turners, and the main and secondary characters are just wonderful, and the plotting and writing are exceptional. Bring on more!!! ( )
  NewsieQ | May 2, 2016 |
Another excellent read and I was truly bewildered by who the murderer was until just about the end. On the other hand, I thought Sarah Brandt and Frank Mulloy were absurdly slow in figuring out one of the injustices that the victim had to his credit. I figured that out at the very beginning but we were more than halfway through the book before Mulloy started to get a glimmer. No matter...the book was quite good! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Felix Decker (Sarah's father) calls on Malloy to investigate the death of a member of his Gentleman's Club. Felix in turn also asks Sarah & his wife to discreetly interview the dead man's widow, son & daughter-in-law.

As it turns out the dead man was really a nasty piece of work and more than one person wanted him dead.

I didn't guess who did it.... but I liked the story, it was easy to read, it held my interest, & the ending was a bit of a surprise. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
The Gaslight Mystery's are one of the better cozy murder mysteries out in books. The author provides enough historical content to keep the story line intriguing and informative. The two protagonist, Sarah and Frank, continue their unofficial relationship although with the progression of the series one figures there will finally be a breakthrough.

This particular novel deals with the manipulation of women by powerful men during the gilded age; particularly how defenseless women were because of their status as property. The author notes at the end of the book how this travesty still continues today. Women are not property anymore but they are still manipulated and subjugated in many parts of the world. ( )
1 vote NancyNo5 | Oct 19, 2013 |
This installment in the series felt like an improvement. I've enjoyed the others, but recent ones seemed to lack forward motion and character development for Malloy and Sarah. This was an interesting look at the plight of women struggling to survive without a man. ( )
1 vote carlyrose | Feb 5, 2013 |
To my daughter Ellen,
for introducing me to Fifth Avenue
"Detective Sergeant Malloy?"

High society member Felix Decker, who belongs to one of New York's oldest families, resigns himself to partnering up with Irish Catholic police detective Frank Malloy when a member of his private club is murdered in nineteenth-century Manhattan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,879,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible