Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out…

Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out of the Kitchen (2012)

by Alyssa Shelasky

I enjoyed reading this book. It was a light and easy read with many descriptions of food from an "amateur" viewpoint. Includes some recipes. I found it a little difficult to root for the author throughout the story, but she managed to win me over at the ending.
  deadgirl | Dec 17, 2013 |
I'm not really sure what I was expecting from this book.I think I was looking for something deeper. However, it was an ok read and would probably be a good summer beach read. The writing the flowed smoothly with a light-hearted beat. However, I often found myself wondering why I should care about the story. Perhaps if I had known who the author and her fiancee were before reading the book, I might have made a connection with the story. If I had not agreed to review the book, I might not moved it to my Did Not Finish shelf.

What I liked about the book: It was light, easy read. The author also shares many of the recipes she talks about.

What I didn't like about the book: The story has a rather spoiled and shallow ring to it. I guess it's really wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
1 vote Booklady123 | Apr 20, 2012 |
"I would be displeased and scared shitless if my little girl started talking about wanting to be a chef. I guess it could be worse. She could talk about wanting to go OUT with a chef."
-- Anthony Bourdain, Daily Blender, March 2010
To Mom, Dad, and Rach,
who see the world with heart and humor
and mean everything to me
Let's be honest. I am not one of those food-obsessed people.
But that's New York. The streets are filled with neon-lit restaurants that taste like nostalgia, glamour, guilt, and goosebumps. If you've lived here long enough, every corner booth, deli counter, dive bar, coffee shop, and critic's darling becomes a Polaroid of your life.
After all, everyone cooks for matters of the heart. We're all in the kitchen because it fulfills a longing inside, whether it's for inner grace, pure survival, a renewed sense of self, or just the thrill of it -- these are the stories that get us there, keep us there, or sometimes take us away. But without the people who have moved us, pushed us, left us, maybe even hurt us, then really, it's only food.

“Hot sex, looking good, scoring journalistic triumphs . . . nothing made Alyssa love herself enough until she learned to cook. There's a racy plot and a surprising moral in this intimate and delicious book.”
--Gael Greene, creator of Insatiable-Critic.com and author of Insatiable: Tales from a Life of Delicious Excess

Apron Anxiety

Three months into a relationship with her TV-chef crush, celebrity journalist Alyssa Shelasky left her highly social life in New York City to live with him in D.C. But what followed was no fairy tale: Chef hours are tough on a relationship. Surrounded by foodies yet unable to make a cup of tea, she was displaced and discouraged. Motivated at first by self-preservation rather than culinary passion, Shelasky embarked on a journey to master the kitchen, and she created the blog Apron Anxiety (ApronAnxiety.com) to share her stories.

This is a memoir (with recipes) about learning to cook, the ups and downs of love, and entering the world of food full throttle. Readers will delight in her infectious voice as she dishes on everything from the sexy chef scene to the unexpected inner calm of tying on an apron.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:36 -0400)

"Apron Anxiety is the hilarious and heartfelt memoir of quintessential city girl Alyssa Shelasky and her crazy, complicated love affair with...the kitchen. Three months after dating her TV-chef crush, celebrity journalist Alyssa Shelasky left her highly social life in New York City to live with him in D.C. But what followed was no fairy tale: Chef hours are tough on a relationship. Surrounded by foodies yet unable to make a cup of tea, she was displaced and discouraged. Motivated at first by self-preservation rather than culinary passion, Shelasky embarked on a journey to master the kitchen, and she created the blog Apron Anxiety (ApronAnxiety.com) to share her stories. This is a memoir (with recipes) about learning to cook, the ups and downs of love, and entering the world of food full throttle. Readers will delight in her infectious voice as she dishes on everything from the sexy chef scene to the unexpected inner calm of tying on an apron"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible