Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium…

Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:bitter_suite
Title:Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:fantasy, magic, Valdemar

Redoubt by Mercedes Lackey (2012)

Mags' story is finally picking up.

I love that we are clearly going to get some answers about his past, although I would have appreciated them coming before this or at least being actually *stated* in this book instead of just apparently living in his head now without us getting to share them. I really hope the payoff is great, because the pacing of this whole series is terrible.

There were a completely unnecessary number of flashbacks/"drugged" dream sequences in this book. They were overly detailed and honestly felt like the sort of thing added to a book to stretch it out to "full length", and I resented the flashbacks in particular since they were (as far as I can tell without actually having compared them) word-for-word what was written in previous books. I feel like this particular series is too long and I *still* don't think that what happened in those scenes was so long ago that we need detailed flashback sequences.

Firecats are always welcome characters. The whole section in Karse was interesting, actually.

Bear finally getting a showdown with his father was nice, if only because his father has no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. The marriage between he and Lena was moderately unexpected, but prevented from being shocking by virtue of my complete apathy for the two of them. It is something I am beginning to feel (or not feel, as the case may be) for the whole "cast".

I will read the next one, but I hope it is the last in this series, because the characters are all getting less and less fun to spend time with, and I just don't know that the ending is going to be good enough to make up for that.

Hyzie | Oct 26, 2014 |
The fourth book in this series set in the Valdemar universe has Mags finding out the hard way a bit more about where he came from. Not the book for someone to jump into the series for the first time since you will miss subplots and only see the final outcome of things that have been cooking for the last several books. An enjoyable read overall. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
For the fourth book in a series this is a fine read. Mags is slowly but surely growing up to a fine Herald. As always in a book by Ms Lackey there are heroes and villains and a rich tale filled with surprise.

Mags learns a bit more about his past in a way that is different. Between drugs and kidnappings we find out just that bit more about his back story.

A lot of people dislike back story but to me it is a necessary part of storytelling. In face this series is all about Mags, who he is, who he was and who his parents might have been. We learn more but not enough in this tale. We are left wanting more and it is quite obvious that Ms Lackey has more books planned. Can't wait. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |

suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
Great book!! It had a slow start but I knew it would eventually pick up, Mercedes Lackey never lets me down. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Dedicated to the memory of Anne McCaffrey. No one could have had a better inspiration or role model.

A young Herald trainee in Haven, Mags, is trained as a spy to uncover secrets held by a mysterious new enemy of the kingdom of Valdemar.

83 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible