Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium…

Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:bitter_suite
Title:Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles (A Valdemar Novel)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:fantasy, magic, Valdemar

Redoubt by Mercedes Lackey (2012)

The fourth book in this series set in the Valdemar universe has Mags finding out the hard way a bit more about where he came from. Not the book for someone to jump into the series for the first time since you will miss subplots and only see the final outcome of things that have been cooking for the last several books. An enjoyable read overall. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
For the fourth book in a series this is a fine read. Mags is slowly but surely growing up to a fine Herald. As always in a book by Ms Lackey there are heroes and villains and a rich tale filled with surprise.

Mags learns a bit more about his past in a way that is different. Between drugs and kidnappings we find out just that bit more about his back story.

A lot of people dislike back story but to me it is a necessary part of storytelling. In face this series is all about Mags, who he is, who he was and who his parents might have been. We learn more but not enough in this tale. We are left wanting more and it is quite obvious that Ms Lackey has more books planned. Can't wait. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |

suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
Great book!! It had a slow start but I knew it would eventually pick up, Mercedes Lackey never lets me down. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Better. This one does have a conclusion, of sorts, though still no real answers about Mags - he hasn't yet explored what he's learned. So - some developments at the Collegium, especially with Bear and Lena, and for Amily. Mags learning more from Nikolai. Then yet another batch of mysterious assassins, doing better than the last batch - another, more successful kidnapping. Then Mags gets to exercise a whole new set of skills, and learns more about Karse than was apparently known then - and what he learned actually explains something of how Karse is treated/regarded later, in Talia's time. I hope there's another book still to come - I want to know what the heck Shadao is - but if the story stopped here it wouldn't be totally annoying. The general form is already clear, though there could be lots more good story in it. Better than the last one, which ended on an inconclusive note. Oh, and while I didn't think I found Mags' accent terrible, I was surprisingly relieved when he'd lost most of it in this book. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 1, 2014 |
Dedicated to the memory of Anne McCaffrey. No one could have had a better inspiration or role model.

A young Herald trainee in Haven, Mags, is trained as a spy to uncover secrets held by a mysterious new enemy of the kingdom of Valdemar.

83 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible