Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful by Paula…

Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful (2012)

by Paula Guran (Editor)

Other authors: Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Leah Bobet (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Theodora Goss (Contributor), Nancy Holder (Contributor)18 more, Ellen Klages (Contributor), Madeleine L'Engle (Contributor), Mercedes Lackey (Contributor), Margo Lanagan (Contributor), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Kelly Link (Contributor), Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Contributor), Andre Norton (Contributor), Richard Parks (Contributor), T. A. Pratt (Contributor), Linda Robertson (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Cory Skerry (Contributor), Cynthia Ward (Contributor), Don Webb (Contributor), Leslie What (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

A wide-ranging collection of short stories based on witches, this collection will have a story for anyone. Urban fantasy follows Fairy Tale follows Classic Horror. That isn’t to say every story is good. Some are boring, and a few are creepy and disgusting. But the overall average is good, with some rising above. I was unfamiliar with all the authors presented, although several (Tanith Lee, Elizabeth Bear, Ursula K. La Guin) are well-known.
My favorites include Walpurgis Afternoon by Delia Sherman, The Cold Blacksmith by Elizabeth Bear, Mirage and Magia by Tanith Lee (the story that made me buy the book), Lessons with Miss Gray by Theodora Goss, Ill Met in Ulthar by T. A. Pratt, The Way Wind by Andre Norton, and Skin Deep by Richard Parks (My Favorite in the Collection)
If you enjoy good stories about witches, both evil and pure, buy and read this anthology. You won’t be disappointed. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 14, 2018 |
A group of girls gather at the local witch’s house to learn magic. The lesbians next door have a tropical rainforest growing in their backyard (never mind the temperate climate). A boy discovers the right words to become invisible. The Magia arrives in a grasshopper carriage. A budding wise woman pulls on the enchanted skins of others.

Magic is everywhere. Witches can be anyone.

I love magic, and I love witches. I’d rather be reading about witches than anything else, and so I knew from the moment I got my hands on Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful, that this was going to be an anthology I’d enjoy. The cover boasts stories from the likes of Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, Ursula K. Le Guin and Jane Yolen, and they are just a handful of the many authors represented in this collection.

Save for two stories (I believe it’s two), the majority of what’s included in the book have been previously published elsewhere. If you frequent these kinds of anthologies, you’ve probably run into a lot of these stories before. For example, I also have a copy of the similarly themed Hecate’s Cauldron, and there are a couple of stories here that overlap there. Unlike Hecate’s Cauldron, however, Witches is available in ebook format.

These are definitely stories worth owning in your ebook library! There are so many different kinds of magic and witches portrayed, which is probably one of my favourite things about this book. There’s brujas and sorceresses, hoodoo and potions, modern and mythical looks at witches. Some stories are dark, some are hopeful, some are humorous, and so there’s really something for everybody here.

A few of my favourites include Walpurgis Afternoon by Delia Sherman, a brilliant example of how well magic works with the (modern) mundane; Lessons with Miss Gray by Theodora Goss, where witchcraft lessons are advertised in the newspaper and girls learn to fly and create potions for their heart’s desire; and Bloodlines by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, which features a family of witches, or brujas, and the ones who have to put up with them (including the members of their family who have no talent for magic).

There are other great stories in here that stood out to me. The Ground Whereon She Stands by Leah Bobet, Skin Deep by Richard Parks, The Robbery by Cynthia Ward. I especially enjoyed ‘Afterward’ by Don Webb, but each story is enjoyable in its own way and brings something different to the table of magic and reading.

Witches are, in my opinion, the best part of life and fantasy. And Witches: Wicked, Wild, and Wonderful showcases many different reasons that is the case. Whether you agree, or are perhaps wondering what all the fuss is about, this is a book I would recommend to anyone. ( )
  yoroshiqueen | Apr 22, 2014 |
A fine collection of short stories. I'll never think about Rapunzel the same way again.
  mulliner | Apr 1, 2012 |

Ward, CynthiaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Webb, DonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
What, LeslieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Hasn't this cat got anything better to do? Couldn't you give him something to read?"
Shepard "Shep" Henderson (James Stewart)
Bell, Book, & Candle (1958)
Screenplay by Daniel Taradash
Based on the play by John Van Druten
For my new "familiar"
Nala
Walpurgis Afternoon:

The big thing about the new people moving into the old Pratt place at Number 400 was that they got away with it at all.

A collection of short stories features witches as main characters and contains works by such prominent authors as Neil Gaiman, Jane Yolen, Madeleine L'Engle, and Ursula K. Le Guin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible