Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony…

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lemony Snicket, Seth (Illustrator)

Member:foggidawn
Title:"Who Could That Be at This Hour?"
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Seth (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:JFIC, mystery, read november 2012

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (2012)

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization

Well, rats. I know this is supposed to be another series, but as I read this to my son, we both found ourselves not entranced, but frustrated. It was like the author was trying to cram all the issues for the series into his first book with very little to cling to. We decided we would skip the rest of the series.

However, A Series of Unfortunate Events remains one of my favorites. Zack isn't quite as thrilled, but he has a literal mind and the nuances were lost on him, and those are what make this particular series delightful and clever.

But anyway. Sorry, but nope on the new series. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Weak entry in Snicket's oeuvre, serving more as an introduction of basic characters and thin plot to an up-coming series. No mystery is resolved and the book is surprisingly short on humor. ( )
  omphalos02 | Apr 22, 2014 |
A young Lemony Snicket stars in this opener to the All the Wrong Questions series, where he must work with his incompetent chaperone to find a missing statue and return it to the proper owner. Snicket is left mostly to himself to solve the crime and figure out what is actually going on in the town of Stain’d-by-the-Sea.

This book, meant for fairly sophisticated middle school readers, is similar to Snicket’s previous novels in its very distinct voice and humor. The events and characters are quite bizarre and might be too odd for many readers. However, those who can appreciate the quirkiness will find this book largely enjoyable and different from most of the series books on the market.

The plot, like that of any good mystery, is fast-paced (though not so fast as to lose the reader) and full of many twists. The end of the novel is a bit of a letdown due to the small number of mysteries Snicket actually gets to solve in this volume. The lack of closure will drive the reader to pick up the book’s sequel, so make sure to have it on hand. ( )
  molbhall | Oct 31, 2013 |
Lemony Snicket isn't my cup of tea. But he appeals to my more "intellectual" 4th and 5th graders who enjoy the way he works definitions into the story. I thought this book was more confusing than the "Series of Unfortunate Events." I've had this book in my elementary school library for over a year without getting an enthusiastic audience for it. ( )
  brangwinn | Sep 17, 2013 |
Slight
  annesadleir | Sep 13, 2013 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
SethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In a fading town, far from anyone he knew or trusted, a young Lemony Snicket began his apprenticeship in an organization nobody knows about. He started by asking questions that shouldn't have been on his mind. Now he has written an account that should not be published, in four volumes that shouldn't be read. This is the first volume.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:02 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Lemony Snicket begins his apprenticeship with S. Theodora Markson of the secretive V.F.D. in the tiny dot of a town called Stain'd By The Sea, where he helps investigate the theft of a statue.

59 wanted6 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible