Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony…

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" (edition 2012)

by Lemony Snicket, Seth (Illustrator)

Member:foggidawn
Title:"Who Could That Be at This Hour?"
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Seth (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:JFIC, mystery, read november 2012

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization

Arrgghh, just the wrong book to read! Maybe this was the wrong time to read it. I just could not get into Lemony Snicket's dogleg prose. It was amusing in the "Unfortunate Events" series but came off as annoying and showy this time around. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Very strong voice. Great for fans of Lemony Snicket. A very noir-style detective story, except the detective is a child, and the mentor charged with teaching him is an idiot. Not my favorite, but I'm sure it will find an enthusiastic audience. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
In a fading town, far from anyone he knew or trusted, a young Lemony Snicket began his apprenticeship in an organization nobody knows about. He started by asking questions that shouldn't have been on his mind. Now he has written an account that should not be published, in four volumes that shouldn't be read. This is the first volume.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
Well, that was entertaining. A stew of secrets and mysteries with weirdness and whimsy as our hero embarks on a careful plan to do... something, only to be derailed and carried off somewhere else to do something else, involving a supposedly stolen statue, supposedly worth a lot of money. It's all lies, and everything's wrong, of course. A beautifully designed and produced book, it's darkly funny, oddly touching and a terrific read. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
What a great book! I don't think I really appreciated what a good writer Mr S. is until I read this. Still as funny and weird as the Series of Unfortunate, but with a tighter plot and more compelling characters. My only complaint is that he still doesn't know how to end a story, and possibly he doesn't realize that readers are more satisfied with a conclusion that ties up the loose ends than with one that is going to be continued in the next volume. I love the illustrations, too, even though I can't say they match my vision of the characters very well. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 4, 2015 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
SethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There was a town, and there was a girl, and there was a theft. I was living in the town, and i was hired to investigate the theft, and I thought the girl had nothing to do with it. I was almost thirteen and I was wrong.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:25 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Lemony Snicket begins his apprenticeship with S. Theodora Markson of the secretive V.F.D. in the tiny dot of a town called Stain'd By The Sea, where he helps investigate the theft of a statue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,031,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible