Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony…

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" (edition 2012)

by Lemony Snicket, Seth (Illustrator)

Title:"Who Could That Be at This Hour?"
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Seth (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:JFIC, mystery, read november 2012

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization

Well, that was entertaining. A stew of secrets and mysteries with weirdness and whimsy as our hero embarks on a careful plan to do... something, only to be derailed and carried off somewhere else to do something else, involving a supposedly stolen statue, supposedly worth a lot of money. It's all lies, and everything's wrong, of course. A beautifully designed and produced book, it's darkly funny, oddly touching and a terrific read. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
What a great book! I don't think I really appreciated what a good writer Mr S. is until I read this. Still as funny and weird as the Series of Unfortunate, but with a tighter plot and more compelling characters. My only complaint is that he still doesn't know how to end a story, and possibly he doesn't realize that readers are more satisfied with a conclusion that ties up the loose ends than with one that is going to be continued in the next volume. I love the illustrations, too, even though I can't say they match my vision of the characters very well. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 4, 2015 |
Daniel Handler under his nom-de-plume Lemony Snicket narrated the trials and travails of the Baudelaire children in a A Series of Unfortunate Events. In this series, All the Wrong Questions, Lemony Snicket tells "his own" story of how as a teenager he became involved in a secret organization, was assigned to the worst chaperon, and begins his first assignment in the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea. The book reads as a pastiche of classic children's adventures and noir detective stories with memorable characters, a lot of humor, and puzzles to solve. It's a good start to the series and I look forward to reading more. ( )
  Othemts | Apr 22, 2015 |
This book is about a boy named Lemony Snicket, who is now in a job as an apprentice for another person named S. Theodora Markson. It started in a café, when she walked in telling Lemony to go to an alley in the back of the building to a green roadster. He goes, then being driven to another town called stained' by the sea. They get a case to capture a stolen item that wasn't stolen at all. They get the item, but never return it to the owner who said it was stolen. The plot of the story is based on the object called the Bombinating Beast, and how Lemony deals with it.

I think the book is somewhat well-written, and really like books from Lemony Snicket. I also enjoy all the vocabulary inside the book. S. Theodora Markson, and Lemony Snicket, both try to stump each other with their vocabulary. When reading, you can sort of feel yourself in Lemony's state of mind. He encounters many people, and doesn't ever think of what he should be thinking. ( )
  ethanw.b1 | Feb 15, 2015 |
Too stylized. I was disappointed, but it was almost unreadable. ( )
1 vote picardyrose | Nov 23, 2014 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
SethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There was a town, and there was a girl, and there was a theft. I was living in the town, and i was hired to investigate the theft, and I thought the girl had nothing to do with it. I was almost thirteen and I was wrong.

In a fading town, far from anyone he knew or trusted, a young Lemony Snicket began his apprenticeship in an organization nobody knows about. He started by asking questions that shouldn't have been on his mind. Now he has written an account that should not be published, in four volumes that shouldn't be read. This is the first volume.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:25 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Lemony Snicket begins his apprenticeship with S. Theodora Markson of the secretive V.F.D. in the tiny dot of a town called Stain'd By The Sea, where he helps investigate the theft of a statue.

30 wanted6 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible