Thick as Thieves (Queen's Thief) by Megan…

Thick as Thieves (Queen's Thief)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (5)

In this part of the series we follow Kamet, an educated and ambitious slave that we met in one of the previous books (I think book 3?) After news that his master has been murdered, he escapes to avoid being blamed for his death. An Attolian soldier (whom we met in book 4) "steals" Kamet and we follow their journey.

I loved the character development and the description of their journey from Mede to Attolia and all of the dangers, challenges and personal growth/conflict that MWT describes. She's a fantastic author and there is not shortfall when it comes to being able to imagine what is happening. However, I honestly was kind of bored with this book. Of course, like all the others, the ending weaves the rest of the stories together and reveals the mystery behind what happened but it didn't grip me like books 1-3. It did set up the scenario of an impending war between Attolia/Eddis/Sounis, the continental countries and Mede, but I am not sure if I want to continue the series. I may, just to see what happens but I don't think I'd re-read this book. ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I don't like these books as much when the books focus on a journey. I find the journeys both too long (in that the whole story is devoted to them) and too easy (in that the characters never seem to be in any kind of danger where I truly fear for them - I almost think the books are too short for that). I also have a harder time getting into these stories when the perspective is from a new character that I know nothing about. I mean it took me forever to figure out who the Attolian was and if I had known from the start I might have enjoyed the story more. But honestly I didn't see much of the Costis I grew to know in the "King of Attolia" through Kamet's eyes.

Of course I've grown attached to the main actors in these books, Gen et al. And I am so waiting for a book centered on Eddis... I just felt this book didn't add much to the series. It truly was a companion book. Enjoyable, but unnecessary. I wish the next book were available but it's probably going to be awhile since there's not even a title yet. I hope it centers back on the main characters. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
I don't think I could ever write a review of any of MWT's books that would be remotely coherent, so I am just going to say that my expectations were met. I am happy. I desperately want the next book. ( )
1 vote nwessler | Jun 20, 2018 |
Really great. I love how Kamat has poor vision and is so generally cranky. I loved his faulty but reasonable assumptions, and how you don't realize that the Attolian is Costis until quite a bit into the book. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
A well-told story. I would definitely recommend this if you liked the previous books in the series, but don't start here if you haven't read them. Turner has a way of tuning her stories so that each piece is quite precise, making a story that is beautiful and satisfying as a intricately engineered clock. A little bit further in that direction and the characters would become cartoonish, but she avoids that. I took a star off because the main characters in the previous books weren't in this one as much as I would have liked. ( )
  LauraBee00 | Mar 7, 2018 |

Megan Whalen Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Plasse, MaximMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Kamet, a secretary and slave to his Mede master, has the ambition and the means to become one of the most powerful people in the Empire. But with a whispered warning the future he envisioned is wrenched away, and he is forced onto a very different path"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible