Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever…

Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Marie Moning

Title:Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages

Iced by Karen Marie Moning (2012)

Amazing and full of possibilities. I admit I had my doubts about the unlikely duo of Ryodan and Dani, but I enjoyed the hell out of them. Dani is sassy and vulnerable and Ryodan is just as an inscrutable cold bastard as ever. The story arc holds our attention until the very end, and while Christian was creeping me out, Dancer for example added much needed human touch and softness to the plot. Highly recommended non-stop action. Worth every penny. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I love Fever, i reread the books twice that should say something. But even in Fever i did not like Dani that much to be honest. KMM is a good writer, i love her style, never a dull moment with all the chasing, killing, magic and passion.

I will agree with the masses, Dani is just too young. 14 to be exact. It was a fact that was in my head constantly and kept me from fully enjoying this book. I kept waiting for her to fall trough the mirror, and emerge 5 years older. She didn't.....

Another thing is that even with the tender age of 14, she shouldn't be so godamn clueless.... Yet she is. 14 is young, yes, but not so much that you are completely unaware of the sexuality around you. How many teen girls had kids by the time they were 15? I do not condone it, i believe it's waaaaay to young but it proves a point.
I dislike the fact that she is able to piece together a CRIME SCENE, that has people fucking in it but cannot get the blatant sexual innuendo slapping her in the face constantly. Out of sheer self-preservation, a person picks up the vibes of the people around them. FAIL, BIG ASS FAIL!!!! Moning messed up with this element completely....

KMM said herself that she will be playing with certain elements that would be controversial, and i wouldn't mind, just go for it. I like it when the authors have guts to stir things up, but this did not impress me. Dani is not a child and not a woman either. She is aware of the scenes surrounding her- like the Kiddie Subclub, witch disturbs her. So Moning proves her awareness of sexuality. Her rant to Ryoden about Jo concerning their relationship proves another point, that the kid is wiser then her years. Then Moning does an 180 with the "Gee, I don't know why is he looking at me like that?" and "He wants something, and I don't know what that is...."

Either the kid is a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world with a quick mind (that understands her surroundings) focused on tomorrow, or the kid belongs in a playpen... In case of the latter don't write any more about it....I don't want to know how many kiddie abusers will there be in case we get run over by faeries any time soon.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
The only reason I picked up Iced is to “suffer through it”, so I can finally get on reading Mac’s story, because, honestly, who cares about Dani? It turned out that a 14-year-old superhero’s mind is actually a very entertaining and interesting place, full of witty remarks, existential crises and surprisingly quotable thoughts.

Dani is an astonishingly interesting, amusing, thought-provoking character whose voice is written beautifully, in my opinion. She is a kid that had to grow up fast, so she is street-smart, intelligent and wise beyond her years, and childish and naive all at the same time. Reading her point of view is very refreshing – she is a teen that is all businesslike, direct and demanding, and it may be funny at times, yet this is exactly how people her age behave – larger than life. She is also very observant.

I cannot stress enough how enjoyable being in her head is. And how captivating the situations she gets herself into are. She says herself, that she has "the luck of a broken mirror nailed beneath an upside-down horseshoe with a ladder nearby that a black cat just walked under".

I think Karen Marie Moning did a wonderful job distinguishing between points of view. There was never any doubt about who’s point of view you are reading, because they are all genuinely discernible. Dani, Christian, Kat sound completely different from each other, which is the point a lot of authors cannot qualitatively accomplish introducing different points of view.

Plot-wise the story is very compelling. Other than the obvious “Who’s the bad guy icing Dubling”, there are also “What does Ryodan actually want with Dani?”, “Is Christian going to turn full-on evil?”; “Is Mac actually after Dani for killing her sister?”; “Why is everyone so enthralled with the girl?” etc.

All in all, something I was going to “suffer through” turned out to be very “fecking” awesome, and I cannot wait to read Burned (Mac and Barrons are finally back! Yay!). ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is the beginning of the Dani part of the fever world. I ADORED the fever series with Mac and Barrons. So, I have been super excited to get to read books that continue in the same world. Getting to hear things from Dani's perspective is neat. I do hope that in the next book there ends up being a couple years time jump though. Dani is currently only 14 years old and trying to incorporate the romance theory with Ryodan, Christian, and Dancer is a little at odds. Her voice and actions all coincide with her age, but the romance aspect seems a bit difficult to accept sometimes. I also hate that Jo and Ryodan have strung up a "romance". It really sucks for the way Ryodan is pitched with his feelings of Dani. If he truly wishes to be a part of her life until she's ready, then he should be with any of the other faceless girls and not someone close to Dani, and most definitely not striking up a "relationship" with someone she's close to. It seems forced and out of concept. I will obviously continue the series, but hope KMM looks to age Dani a bit so we can see her as a woman. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Oh boy. I never thought I'd say this but I LOVE DANI. Bless her heart.

Full review to come! ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |

Dani O'Malley uses her rare talents and the powerful Sword of Light to survive Dark Fae attacks in Dublin, where she is also challenged by a murderous former friend and a police force head who covets her sword.

349 wanted2 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iced: A Fever Novel by Karen Marie Moning was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible