Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever…

Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:ufreview
Title:Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Iced by Karen Marie Moning (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, Lori.Slade, atcolorado, DBReads, fiaerfly, slimsoda, radspd, LyndaLou, Courtney_Chance

While I really did like this book, I had a hard time getting into it. Onced I got used to reading Dani specifically, I was hooked. Sometimes it was nagging at me the was she was talking. I get she is only 14 and oblivious to the obvious, but sometimes she came off as whiney. Hoping she mature somewhat in the next book. But luckily the book overall outweighed that for me. I really enjoyed the last half of the book. And that ending.... I'm itching for april 2104 to get here!! I am ready for Mac and JZB baby!! If you liked the fever series (come on...who wouldn't if you you've read them), then you will like ICED. ( )
  piper0820 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Well, I'm sort of fecking sick of the fecking voice of Dani. I just don't fecking see her as a fecking central character, and the verbal mannerisms are quite thick and fecking distracting (even though Karen Marie Moning claims she toned Dani's voice down). The love triangle patterns seem fecking familiar if you've read the first five books in the series (and who would ever read Iced without reading the first five books in the series?!) but with less vivid characters than Mac, Barrons and V'lane. I am going to be fecking generous and give this 3 fecking stars. Hoping that the next book will improve greatly in all fecking areas. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Being a huge fan of the Fever series it took me a surprising amount of time to finally get around to reading this. Why, you ask? Well, because I had been warned about the creepy pedophiles. Ryodan? Christian? Shame on both of you, you sick perverts. Iced possess the same ramped up sexual energy that we’ve all come to expect from the Fever series but there is that huge issue of Dani being FOURTEEN YEARS OLD. The things that came out of these guys mouths (and all the perverted thoughts too) that were directed towards her was DISGUSTING and she was so completely oblivious to it, you know, because she’s A CHILD. But it’s Karen Marie Moning so I had to read it. Plus, I’ve heard that the next book in the trilogy, Burned, is jumping ahead a few years so Dani will be 19, thank goodness.

Minus the creepy pedo business, there’s the whole ‘Dani is beyond fucking annoying’ factor. But somehow I still managed to like her for the most part. I just would have liked her a hell of a lot more if she didn’t say feck so much. Or dude. Or maybe if she eased up on the exclamation points. Or maybe if she didn’t say shit like this:

‘It’s the freakiest thing I’ve ever felt. Like it’s a sponge and I’m a sponge and for a second there all our sponge parts are one and I don’t just have square pants, everything about me is squarish because I’m part of a wall, then I’m me again and the wall kind of squirts me out on the other side in a completely white room.’
Or this:

‘I choke on the last marshmallow I’m trying to swallow whole. I kick up into fast-mo and try to fast-cough it out but it doesn’t work. Belatedly it occurs to me fast-mo might not have been brightest move. Friction and mucus expand the confection like a waterlogged tampon. It swells in my throat and shuts down my airway.’

I mean SERIOUSLY? But regardless, Dani still managed to be a spunky character that you couldn’t help but like (except for that time when she mentioned having Nicki Minaj on her ipod. Dani. Tsk.) I’m expecting some maturity to go along with the jump in 5 years so I’m really quite excited for Burned.

The most enjoyable aspect of the story was the mystery behind the eerie locations being covered in ice that are taking the lives of humans and fae alike. It’s engaging and thrilling. Plus, there are a few moments of sheer horror. Here’s just a glimpse:

‘With insectlike appendages, she’s knitting their guts into the hem of her dress. As her bony legs click and clack together, the guts sway over the edge, shortening, inch by inch, smearing blood up the brick.’

Knitting guts, yes, you read that right.

Iced didn’t live up to the Fever series at all, but it’s still required reading for any Fever fans anyways. My low rating still comes with a recommendation because Burned is bound to be infinitely better just as long as the pedos don’t make an appearance again. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 1, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

Iced is the first novel in Karen Marie Moning??s new DANI Oƒ??MALLEY series, which is a spin-off from her excellent FEVER series. Readers of FEVER know who Dani is ƒ?? sheƒ??s the 14-year-old sidhe-seer that Mac befriends. Besides being able to see the fae, Dani has other superpowers ƒ?? she moves ƒ??super-fastƒ? and has super senses, too. Dani also has the Sword of Light ƒ?? one of only two magical objects that can kill the fae.

Dani lives in Dublin during the year 1 AWC (After the Wall Crash). The wall separating our world from the fae has fallen down and the dark fae are preying on humanity. Dani, with her superpowers and magical sword, can handle this new world, but most people canƒ??t and half the worldƒ??s population is dead. Dani does what she can, publishing a newspaper, helping people find food and shelter, and killing as many fae as she can every day.

Dani canƒ??t devote all her efforts to her humanitarian mission, though, because the police inspector is trying to steal her sword, the Unseelie Princes want her dead, and Ryodan ƒ?? the intimidating nightclub owner ƒ?? wants Daniƒ??s help figuring out why people in Dublin are getting flash-frozen. In addition, Dani has to juggle the affections of Christian, the half-human / half Unseelie Prince, and Dancer, the student who has become her best friend.

I was looking forward to reading this book because I enjoyed the FEVER series so much, but I was disappointed with Iced. Moning writes as well as ever, but Iced failed at all the places where FEVER set itself apart. Moning makes little use of her fabulous Dublin setting. The world has been altered dramatically, so this is understandable, but part of the beauty of FEVER was the Dublin flavor and thatƒ??s necessarily, but unfortunately, missing here.

I also didnƒ??t like the change of perspective from MacKayla Lane to Dani Oƒ??Malley. Mac was a terrific heroine but Dani is just plain obnoxious ƒ?? her personality, her language, everything. She calls herself ƒ??Megaƒ? and talks about herself constantly ƒ?? how super-fast she is, how she has super hearing, how she has to eat all the time because of her fast metabolism, how sheƒ??s so awesome at everything. All of this is with plenty of snarky Dudeƒ??s and Feckƒ??s and other teenage lingo like ƒ??Pressure, much?ƒ? Thatƒ??s just annoying.

But the biggest disappointment is the sexual tension. I praised the FEVER series for being a paranormal romance where sex took a backseat to plot (even though thereƒ??s lots of sex in it, the plot was paramount). Iced, however, is disturbing because thereƒ??s a constant sexual tension and itƒ??s all focused on Daniƒ?? who is 14. Most of the adult male characters (whose penile positions and dimensions are often documented) are fixated on being Daniƒ??s first. Dani, who announces to us that sheƒ??s going to lose her virginity in an ƒ??epicƒ? way, seems oblivious to most of this, but the reader is frequently being reminded that all these men have plans for her. They are constantly (with bulging trousers) barely restraining themselves from raping her. Sheƒ??s 14. This is icky. And, really, do I need to say anymore? I donƒ??t think so.

I listened to Brilliance Audioƒ??s production of Iced which is performed by Natalie Ross and Phil Gigante. Ms. Ross does a good job with Dani. Phil Gigante reads all the male parts and these sound dubbed in and a little unnatural ƒ?? the cadence of the conversations are sometimes off because of this. Itƒ??s noticeable but not too distracting. Itƒ??s not one of the better audio performances Iƒ??ve heard, but I wouldnƒ??t try to steer you away from Iced because of that. Iƒ??d steer you away because of the story.

If you havenƒ??t read Karen Marie Moning yet, I highly recommend that you skip Iced and read FEVER. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, I am totally torn about how I feel about this book. I hated it at first. Like really disliked it. I couldn't believe that this novel series had a following. But I hadn't read any of the other books in the series. So, here is the end result: I purchased the first book in the Highlander series and am going to give the whole two series a go. Why? Because there were parts of the book that showed me what kind of author Moning could be, and I decided to give her a chance.

Ok, now here is my review of Iced: Has this author ever met a 14 year old girl? I didn't not find Dani's "voice" convincing or compelling. In fact, it was like an adult trying to sound like a teenager trying to sound like an adult. The part of the book that are in someone else's voice and really nice. That is why I am giving her other books a chance.

Because I found Dani so annoying and not like a real teenager, I couldn't get invested in the book until I had read more than 200 pages. Normally I would have already chucked this book, but I had agreed to write a review, so I kept on reading.

In the end, I felt really interested to see how it all turned out. There are way too many "dudes" in this book. I say dude. I'm from California, and I have never heard it used so much! Especially in Ireland.

I like the mystery in the book especially because I know it is a series and that the mystery parts will be addressed at some point.

Basically, I hope Dani gets more believable. I found her to be the least believable character in the whole lot of characters (which includes some pretty crazy characters so I think that is saying a lot). Christian is the second hardest character to swallow. He just rubbed me the wrong way, and maybe that is because i hadn't read the other books. As I read the other books I will write reviews and maybe that will give it a better picture.

Bottom line: Don't start with this book. Read the other books, and then maybe this book is just a stepping stone to better things in future novels. I really would like the relationships to be fleshed out. Honestly, the only one that even seemed to have any meaning was Ryodan and Jo. Other than that, the characters just seemed to have feelings with no build up to them.

I received an advanced review copy of this book. It did not impact my review of the book. ( )
  2treeroots | Apr 3, 2014 |

Dani O'Malley uses her rare talents and the powerful Sword of Light to survive Dark Fae attacks in Dublin, where she is also challenged by a murderous former friend and a police force head who covets her sword.

365 wanted1 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iced: A Fever Novel by Karen Marie Moning was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible