Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever…

Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Marie Moning

365None29,684 (3.79)12
Member:ufreview
Title:Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Iced by Karen Marie Moning (2012)

Originally posted at FanLit.

Iced is the first novel in Karen Marie Moning??s new DANI Oƒ??MALLEY series, which is a spin-off from her excellent FEVER series. Readers of FEVER know who Dani is ƒ?? sheƒ??s the 14-year-old sidhe-seer that Mac befriends. Besides being able to see the fae, Dani has other superpowers ƒ?? she moves ƒ??super-fastƒ? and has super senses, too. Dani also has the Sword of Light ƒ?? one of only two magical objects that can kill the fae.

Dani lives in Dublin during the year 1 AWC (After the Wall Crash). The wall separating our world from the fae has fallen down and the dark fae are preying on humanity. Dani, with her superpowers and magical sword, can handle this new world, but most people canƒ??t and half the worldƒ??s population is dead. Dani does what she can, publishing a newspaper, helping people find food and shelter, and killing as many fae as she can every day.

Dani canƒ??t devote all her efforts to her humanitarian mission, though, because the police inspector is trying to steal her sword, the Unseelie Princes want her dead, and Ryodan ƒ?? the intimidating nightclub owner ƒ?? wants Daniƒ??s help figuring out why people in Dublin are getting flash-frozen. In addition, Dani has to juggle the affections of Christian, the half-human / half Unseelie Prince, and Dancer, the student who has become her best friend.

I was looking forward to reading this book because I enjoyed the FEVER series so much, but I was disappointed with Iced. Moning writes as well as ever, but Iced failed at all the places where FEVER set itself apart. Moning makes little use of her fabulous Dublin setting. The world has been altered dramatically, so this is understandable, but part of the beauty of FEVER was the Dublin flavor and thatƒ??s necessarily, but unfortunately, missing here.

I also didnƒ??t like the change of perspective from MacKayla Lane to Dani Oƒ??Malley. Mac was a terrific heroine but Dani is just plain obnoxious ƒ?? her personality, her language, everything. She calls herself ƒ??Megaƒ? and talks about herself constantly ƒ?? how super-fast she is, how she has super hearing, how she has to eat all the time because of her fast metabolism, how sheƒ??s so awesome at everything. All of this is with plenty of snarky Dudeƒ??s and Feckƒ??s and other teenage lingo like ƒ??Pressure, much?ƒ? Thatƒ??s just annoying.

But the biggest disappointment is the sexual tension. I praised the FEVER series for being a paranormal romance where sex took a backseat to plot (even though thereƒ??s lots of sex in it, the plot was paramount). Iced, however, is disturbing because thereƒ??s a constant sexual tension and itƒ??s all focused on Daniƒ?? who is 14. Most of the adult male characters (whose penile positions and dimensions are often documented) are fixated on being Daniƒ??s first. Dani, who announces to us that sheƒ??s going to lose her virginity in an ƒ??epicƒ? way, seems oblivious to most of this, but the reader is frequently being reminded that all these men have plans for her. They are constantly (with bulging trousers) barely restraining themselves from raping her. Sheƒ??s 14. This is icky. And, really, do I need to say anymore? I donƒ??t think so.

I listened to Brilliance Audioƒ??s production of Iced which is performed by Natalie Ross and Phil Gigante. Ms. Ross does a good job with Dani. Phil Gigante reads all the male parts and these sound dubbed in and a little unnatural ƒ?? the cadence of the conversations are sometimes off because of this. Itƒ??s noticeable but not too distracting. Itƒ??s not one of the better audio performances Iƒ??ve heard, but I wouldnƒ??t try to steer you away from Iced because of that. Iƒ??d steer you away because of the story.

If you havenƒ??t read Karen Marie Moning yet, I highly recommend that you skip Iced and read FEVER. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, I am totally torn about how I feel about this book. I hated it at first. Like really disliked it. I couldn't believe that this novel series had a following. But I hadn't read any of the other books in the series. So, here is the end result: I purchased the first book in the Highlander series and am going to give the whole two series a go. Why? Because there were parts of the book that showed me what kind of author Moning could be, and I decided to give her a chance.

Ok, now here is my review of Iced: Has this author ever met a 14 year old girl? I didn't not find Dani's "voice" convincing or compelling. In fact, it was like an adult trying to sound like a teenager trying to sound like an adult. The part of the book that are in someone else's voice and really nice. That is why I am giving her other books a chance.

Because I found Dani so annoying and not like a real teenager, I couldn't get invested in the book until I had read more than 200 pages. Normally I would have already chucked this book, but I had agreed to write a review, so I kept on reading.

In the end, I felt really interested to see how it all turned out. There are way too many "dudes" in this book. I say dude. I'm from California, and I have never heard it used so much! Especially in Ireland.

I like the mystery in the book especially because I know it is a series and that the mystery parts will be addressed at some point.

Basically, I hope Dani gets more believable. I found her to be the least believable character in the whole lot of characters (which includes some pretty crazy characters so I think that is saying a lot). Christian is the second hardest character to swallow. He just rubbed me the wrong way, and maybe that is because i hadn't read the other books. As I read the other books I will write reviews and maybe that will give it a better picture.

Bottom line: Don't start with this book. Read the other books, and then maybe this book is just a stepping stone to better things in future novels. I really would like the relationships to be fleshed out. Honestly, the only one that even seemed to have any meaning was Ryodan and Jo. Other than that, the characters just seemed to have feelings with no build up to them.

I received an advanced review copy of this book. It did not impact my review of the book. ( )
  2treeroots | Apr 3, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had some major issues with this book. I really like the author and I like the "Fever Novels," however my big issue with this book is the age of the main character - Dani is a young teenager. The other characters in this series are much older than Dani, and it bothers me that there are grown (and then some) men who are fighting over who is going to be with her when she finishes growing up. I almost felt like they were "grooming" her.

If you take out that sexualization, this book becomes almost a YA version of the Fever Novels which is fine by me. Once you get past the age issue, Dani is funny, smart, and fearless(almost to the point of stupidity).
  rdrichards72 | Mar 31, 2014 |
3.5 stars

I was so sad when the final book from the Fever series came out a couple of years ago but then I heard that KMM was working on a new series that will be a sort of spin-off of the Fever books. Iced finally came out on October 30/31 (of course, I had it on a pre-order). Iced focuses on the young sidh-seer, Dani O’Malley and her “future” romantic interests: Ryodan, the tough talking-sexy-unkillable club owner, and Christian, the sexy college student-druid-turned-unseelie prince. As the release date approached there was much discussion about whether Iced was a Young Adult novel or not. I don’t understand that…anyone who has EVER read a KMM novel, knows that she writes for adults.

Now, I’ve finished the book and am rating it a 3.5 out of 5. As a KMM fan, it pains me to do that…but to be honest, there were a few times near the middle of the book that I actually thought of putting it down! I was having a hard time with all of the different Unseelie popping up (for those of you unfamiliar with the Fever world that would be “bad fairies”) and each one being more strange than the next. It got kind of old and a little ridiculous. I also (believe it or not) got tired of all the off-hand mentioning of the excessive sex going on at Ryodan’s club. I’m not a complete prude…I have read the Highlander and Black Dagger Brotherhood series after all, but in Iced, it just seemed like worthless information. I don’t know, maybe I didn’t like it because I was trying real hard to like Ryodan but he just kept using women and there’s no honor in that (even though he does admit to being “honor less”).

All of that aside, I am glad that I continued reading because by the time I got a little past half way through, the story started picking up with the storytelling and suspense that I am used to with KMM. By this point, I was back to being enthralled with KMM’s style of urban fantasy and so happy to have Iced in my hands. I thoroughly enjoyed Dani’s humor and loved poor crazy Christian. Everything suddenly came together in the last chapters, personalities finally made sense, and I found myself wanting more to the point that when I read the last line, I kept hitting my kindle screen trying to make the pages turn..just not believing that was the end of the book. I couldn’t believe that Miss KMM could be that cruel to leave us devoted readers hanging like she did….but guess what…she did!

I did miss Mac and Barrons. They each had cameo roles in Iced but it just wasn’t enough. I’m looking forward to more Mac/Barrons in the next novel as well as more of Dani. I’m looking forward to seeing where KMM goes with this character. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not my usual genre choice. Since I have never read her books before I was at a disadvantage. Maybe I will try another one of her books, since so many others have given her rave reviews. ( )
  Ncvlib | Mar 4, 2014 |

Dani O'Malley uses her rare talents and the powerful Sword of Light to survive Dark Fae attacks in Dublin, where she is also challenged by a murderous former friend and a police force head who covets her sword.

365 wanted1 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iced: A Fever Novel by Karen Marie Moning was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible