Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever…

Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:ufreview
Title:Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Iced by Karen Marie Moning (Author) (2012)

Updated review: outside of the pedo vibes, I did enjoy this book. Altogether, though, I think I should have just stopped after the first five books. Knowing what I know now, though (see the Phil Gigante/Facebook defense, retraction, rabid fandom victim blaming)... this book grosses me out and it makes sense that I have never had a desire to re-read this, at all.

------------------
I just finished this -- and enjoyed it. To be honest, I was sort of half dreading this book, as I adored the Mac/Barrons Fever books, and wasn't sure if a continuation was needed or desirable. Also, Dani was never a character I particularly adored. But I was worried needlessly. KMM's writing is just something that speaks to me and that I find highly appealing. Like many others, something about the Mac and Barrons story just totally shredded me-- and she hasn't lost her mojo with Iced, as far as I am concerned.

Unlike many other reviewers, I wasn't super dooper deeply creeped out by Dani thinking about sex - 14 year olds do that. Just definitely creeped out by older men lusting after HER. I found Dani to be capable and kick-ass, if naive. And, fact is, I have raised teenagers, and while they are woefully wrong in thinking that they are "totally" mature, they aren't even remotely as naive as Dani seems to be (I wasn't even as clueless as she is to innuendo- and I consider myself, in retrospect, to have been highly naive when I was 14). I might get blasted for this- but when I was 15, most of my friends were having sex. Not saying this was ok or that they knew what the hell they were doing. Nor am I saying they truly understood the potential emotional and physical ramifications, but they were, indeed, doing "it." I absolutely get that the men in this story are older (in Ryodan's case- infinitesimally older) and that is the difference, but I felt Dani was capable of taking care of herself. Regardless, a 14 year old is LITERALLY incapable of informed consent with men like Ryodan.

While I enjoyed the story and was never bored or skimming, I didn't find myself all that invested emotionally. To be fair, though, the same could be said for me at the outset of the Fever series. It took evolution of the story to turn me into the sobbing heap I was by the end of the Mac/Barrons story. The only trepidation I feel about Dani's story is that I don't want another JZB--- I don't want to see KMM faux-replicate him in Ryodan. I want Ryodan to be different- to be his own character, and him and Dani to evolve differently (please as a mentor or father type relationship) in whatever relationship KMM intends for them. I hope a repeat of the Mac/Barrons storyline isn't the direction she is going, because Dancer could potentially be quite interesting. Looking forward to finding out where KMM will take this! ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
Darkfever was a great introduction to what I thought was going to be a fun urban fantasy series but Iced sure iced that idea. First, the Hoar Frost King was built up like a mystery - which it was not. And then there were the grown men lusting after a 14 y/o. Not to mention a Catholic school girl themed sub club complete with 'kiddie' costumed cocktail waitresses summoned upstairs to, uhm. You get the picture. All I can say about this book is yuck!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Dani is doing her Mega Superhero thing watching over what humans she can in Dublin, hiding from Mac, hanging with her brainy friend Dancer, and killing all the fae she can with her sword. Ryodan, the owner of Chester's night club, has taken in an interest in her. He forces her into his "employ" and sets her on the path of solving the mysterious "iced" places in Dublin. Meanwhile, our old, Druid friend Christian is almost all the way through his transformation into an Unseelie Prince, and he's also got designs on Dani.

If you haven't read the five books in the "Fever" Series, this is all Greek to you. Read those 5 books before this one.It was just an okay book. Parts of it were kinda "creepy". Like this man's attraction, (even if he is several thousand years old), to a 14 year old girl. I really liked Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander" series that she wrote years ago. I have read all the "Fever" books, but they just aren't as good as her first efforts. This is the first book in her new series but it actually is a continuation of the "Fever" series just a different leading character and a different perspective. Really should get 2.5 stars ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
So I decided to change my original rating of 5 stars to 4 stars, mainly because of creeper Christian. Not sure why I just completely overlooked this on the first time around but it was just awful. I loved him in all the Mac books but now, well just eww. Other than that I loved it. I love the whole fever world. Moning knows how to suck you into the story.
I'm not usually into Fae books, but I am now more willing to give them a try after reading this series. I'm excited to finally get to read Burned! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Another book that held me captive in the Fever world. I loved hearing things from Dani's perspective. I also found it intriguing to read things from Christian and Kat's point of view. I wish we could have seen the whole confrontation between Dani and Mac and I absolutely can not WAIT for the next book. The 9 are as mysterious and lovable as ever, even when you hate these guys you love them! This book was fantastic and I hope Moning keeps writing in this world! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Dani O'Malley uses her rare talents and the powerful Sword of Light to survive Dark Fae attacks in Dublin, where she is also challenged by a murderous former friend and a police force head who covets her sword.

311 wanted3 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iced: A Fever Novel by Karen Marie Moning was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible