Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever…

Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:ufreview
Title:Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever Series)
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Iced by Karen Marie Moning (2012)

I waited for this book, 'needed' this book for so long I was afraid to start it once I had it in my hands. I had so many expectations. I was peppered with doubts after reading some of the reviews. I know better, we can't all love the same books, it's impossible. But I hesitated and set it aside while I keep reading the reviews. Finally, I got off my, sheep herding arse and read the book ! Baaa, no more. LOL
I loved it, LOVED IT, it had all the beginnings of another edge of my seat series. I could see so many potential portals for her to jump into, the possibilities are amazing. The world has changed forever, none of the old rules stand. Life has to find a new path or extinguish.
The new Fae nasties are pure wicked, killing machines. They are so well written I could even smell one of them. (ICK) There are two unrelenting killers , only one will be finished and one will take more that one of the major characters lives. It's really wonderfully graphically gross !
Dani, the little red headed fire cracker is in no way a little girl. She is young in years, but aged in life lessons, her life has been brutal. She has grown up in a harsh ugly truth that horrifies the mother in me. Her past has hardened her, not blackened her heart. She cares for the ones around her, even when it's best not too. She understands the world she lives in. The Sex by Death Fae, the Unseelie, the Seelie, the beasts and their carnal desires, she knows of this part of her world. She needs to know this to survive. Her close 'friends' are not crossing the lines with her and she will not allow anyone to until she is ready. She is a character to cheer for, she is a survivor. I can't wait to see what she grows into.
The men, macho self absorbed ego driven alpha males plus ! Okay not fair, Dancer is soft, smart, beta material with the brain of a genius. Ryodan and Christian seem focused of protecting Dani from each other and the world. Christian wants her for one reason and Ryodan wants her for ? Perhaps just to be his Robin. I am sure it will become more clear as the series develops.
Short sell- Batman and Robin team up to fight Mr.Freeze.
Cliffhanger ending, muhahahahha. At least it was not a brutal one, more of a soft cliffhanger.

I can't wait for the next book ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Although not my usual genre, I tore right through the first 5 books of the Fever series. So, I had no doubt I’d read Iced even though I wasn’t crazy about the adolescent brashness of Dani and I was concerned that it would be too YA for me. The story is told mostly from the viewpoint of a 14 year old, so it is definitely geared more to the YA market than the prior books. Dani rants and rages a bit too much for me and I found her constant use of “feck” and “dude” to be annoying. However she became more endearing to me as the story progressed and she started to grow up a bit.

It was great to be back in Dublin after the wall crash. Royden and Christian are both compelling characters and some new players are quite interesting—particularly Dancer and Lor. I look forward to seeing what happens next and expect I will enjoy the series even more as Dani matures. ( )
  Bluebird1 | Jan 14, 2016 |
Amazing and full of possibilities. I admit I had my doubts about the unlikely duo of Ryodan and Dani, but I enjoyed the hell out of them. Dani is sassy and vulnerable and Ryodan is just as an inscrutable cold bastard as ever. The story arc holds our attention until the very end, and while Christian was creeping me out, Dancer for example added much needed human touch and softness to the plot. Highly recommended non-stop action. Worth every penny. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I love Fever, i reread the books twice that should say something. But even in Fever i did not like Dani that much to be honest. KMM is a good writer, i love her style, never a dull moment with all the chasing, killing, magic and passion.

I will agree with the masses, Dani is just too young. 14 to be exact. It was a fact that was in my head constantly and kept me from fully enjoying this book. I kept waiting for her to fall trough the mirror, and emerge 5 years older. She didn't.....

Another thing is that even with the tender age of 14, she shouldn't be so godamn clueless.... Yet she is. 14 is young, yes, but not so much that you are completely unaware of the sexuality around you. How many teen girls had kids by the time they were 15? I do not condone it, i believe it's waaaaay to young but it proves a point.
I dislike the fact that she is able to piece together a CRIME SCENE, that has people fucking in it but cannot get the blatant sexual innuendo slapping her in the face constantly. Out of sheer self-preservation, a person picks up the vibes of the people around them. FAIL, BIG ASS FAIL!!!! Moning messed up with this element completely....

KMM said herself that she will be playing with certain elements that would be controversial, and i wouldn't mind, just go for it. I like it when the authors have guts to stir things up, but this did not impress me. Dani is not a child and not a woman either. She is aware of the scenes surrounding her- like the Kiddie Subclub, witch disturbs her. So Moning proves her awareness of sexuality. Her rant to Ryoden about Jo concerning their relationship proves another point, that the kid is wiser then her years. Then Moning does an 180 with the "Gee, I don't know why is he looking at me like that?" and "He wants something, and I don't know what that is...."

YES SHE DOES, YOU PROVED THAT SHE DOES... CHOOSE ONE AND STICK WITH IT!

Either the kid is a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world with a quick mind (that understands her surroundings) focused on tomorrow, or the kid belongs in a playpen... In case of the latter don't write any more about it....I don't want to know how many kiddie abusers will there be in case we get run over by faeries any time soon.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
The only reason I picked up Iced is to “suffer through it”, so I can finally get on reading Mac’s story, because, honestly, who cares about Dani? It turned out that a 14-year-old superhero’s mind is actually a very entertaining and interesting place, full of witty remarks, existential crises and surprisingly quotable thoughts.

Dani is an astonishingly interesting, amusing, thought-provoking character whose voice is written beautifully, in my opinion. She is a kid that had to grow up fast, so she is street-smart, intelligent and wise beyond her years, and childish and naive all at the same time. Reading her point of view is very refreshing – she is a teen that is all businesslike, direct and demanding, and it may be funny at times, yet this is exactly how people her age behave – larger than life. She is also very observant.

I cannot stress enough how enjoyable being in her head is. And how captivating the situations she gets herself into are. She says herself, that she has "the luck of a broken mirror nailed beneath an upside-down horseshoe with a ladder nearby that a black cat just walked under".

I think Karen Marie Moning did a wonderful job distinguishing between points of view. There was never any doubt about who’s point of view you are reading, because they are all genuinely discernible. Dani, Christian, Kat sound completely different from each other, which is the point a lot of authors cannot qualitatively accomplish introducing different points of view.

Plot-wise the story is very compelling. Other than the obvious “Who’s the bad guy icing Dubling”, there are also “What does Ryodan actually want with Dani?”, “Is Christian going to turn full-on evil?”; “Is Mac actually after Dani for killing her sister?”; “Why is everyone so enthralled with the girl?” etc.

All in all, something I was going to “suffer through” turned out to be very “fecking” awesome, and I cannot wait to read Burned (Mac and Barrons are finally back! Yay!). ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Dani O'Malley uses her rare talents and the powerful Sword of Light to survive Dark Fae attacks in Dublin, where she is also challenged by a murderous former friend and a police force head who covets her sword.

349 wanted2 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iced: A Fever Novel by Karen Marie Moning was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,185,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible