Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby

Spare Change (edition 2011)

by Bette Lee Crosby

Tags:to-read

Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby

Wonderful characters
Interesting and entertaining storyline
Another greatbook by Ms. Crosby ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
e Lee Crosby

“Spare Change” by Bette Lee Crosby is a captivating, intriguing, emotionally charged, and heartwarming novel. I appreciate that Bette Lee Crosby writes about searching for what is home , love and family. I enjoyed finding some parts of this story that were familiar in “Memory House” that I just finished. The Genres for this story are Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. There is adventure and twists and turns. Bette Lee Crosby is on author that can tell a story with vivid descriptions of the characters, events, and places.

The colorful cast of characters are described as complex,complicated, and confused. There are some mean-spirited characters, and there are some very kind loyal characters. Olivia Westerly, a professional woman has chosen to marry later in life. Olivia never wanted children and is superstitious about the number eleven. She goes out of her way to avoid anything with that number. Olivia marries Charlie Doyle, and is the happiest the has ever been. On the eleventh day of their marriage, Charlie dies, leaving Olivia heart-broken.

Ethan Allen Doyle is an eleven year old boy who has witnessed his father’s final abuse when his mother is killed. Hiding in the bushes, Ethan sees the man who comes to the house in search of his mother, and then sees the man kill his father. One of the police officers is the son of the man who has killed his mother , and Ethan is terrified. Ethan runs for his life with his dog to search for the grandfather he has never met in person, Charlie Doyle.

Olivia is still grieving for Charlie, but is starting to make good friends in the building where she lives. She comes home one evening to find Ethan Allen Doyle and his dog at her door. Olivia never wanted kids, and when she realizes that Ethan is eleven years old, she is very upset. Meanwhile, the law officers are investigating Ethan’s disappearance and want to question him about his parent’s death.

Olivia and Ethan both fear the danger and trouble ahead. What is to become of Ethan? I enjoyed this amazing and alluring novel, and I highly recommend this to readers that enjoy Women’s Fiction. There are other books in this series that I look forward to reading. ( )
  teachlz | May 29, 2018 |
(Fiction, Women’s, Southern)

Wyattsville Novel Book 1

From Amazon: “Small-town gossip never much bothered Olivia Westerly. As a single career woman, she’s weathered her share. It’s easy to ignore the raised eyebrows over her late-in-life marriage to Charlie Doyle. But after he drops dead on their honeymoon, the whispers are salt on her raw grief. Especially when an orphaned, eleven-year-old-boy shows up on her doorstep, looking for the grandfather he never met.”

This is a charming story with enough suspense to form a firm plot. Despite it not being a genre of my first preference, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I received a complimentary ecopy from the author. This did not affect my review.

4 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
This is hard, because this book is a good book... it is just not my cup of tea. This book is like a Lifetime movie meets The Lottery Rose. It is too real, too painful. I read to escape from that kind of stuff! Having spent the last several years living in the South, I can tell you that I have met people that are so much like Crosby's characters, that in some ways it hurts. It hurts to know that although this book is fiction, bad stuff like this happens every day. And just like real life there are some who survive this mess, and some who don't. I do admire Olivia and her friends. I do love the message of the story, and I admire Crosby for tackling such tough subject matter. If you like Lifetime movies, then this book is definitely for you. If you don't, refer it to a friend who does! ( )
  HeidiAngell | Jul 29, 2017 |
Olivia Westerly was not like most twenty-five year old women living in the 1920’s. Instead of getting married and having children, she lives by herself and has a career. Olivia hated the idea of marriage and motherhood until she met Charlie Doyle at 58 years old. Deeply in love, they quickly wed and she left her job to live with him in Wyattsville.

Ethan Allen Doyle is 11 years old and lives with his parents, Benjamin and Susanna. Benjamin is Charlie Doyle’s only child but they haven't spoken in years. The only information Ethan Allen has of his grandfather is from an annual Christmas card. His parent’s have a tumultuous relationship and they are always arguing and bickering. Susanna is unhappy and has spent her life dreaming of becoming a dancer in New York City with no support from her husband.

Olivia and Ethan’s lives eventually collide and a cautious relationship is formed. She is faced with uncomfortable situations that force her out of her comfortable life. I enjoyed this introductory story from the series by Bette Lee Crosby. ( )
  leopolds | Jul 16, 2017 |

Reviewer's Choice 2012 Award Winner! In a story that's been compared to John Grisham's The Client, eleven year-old Ethan Allen Doyle has witnessed a brutal murder and now the boy is running for his life. In the time-tested tradition of Southern Fiction, Crosby unveils the darkest side of human nature and then rewards her readers with a beautiful tale of love, loss and unexpected gifts.

Winner of Five Literary Awards,BookBundlz Finalist, Voted Goodreads Best Unknown Fiction, FPA President's Book Award Gold Medal Finalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

"Olivia Westerly is the only person Ethan Allen can trust, and he's not too sure he can trust her. She's got no love of children and a truckload of superstitions--one of them is the belief that eleven is the unluckiest number on earth. Olivia avoided marriage for almost forty years. But when Charlie Doyle happened along, he was simply too wonderful to resist. Now she's a widow with an eleven-year-old boy claiming to be her grandson. With a foul mouth, dark secrets and heavily guarded emotions, Ethan Allen Doyle is not an easy child to like. He was counting on the grandpa he'd never met for a place to hide, but now that plan is shot to blazes because the grandpa's dead too. He's got seven dollars and twenty-six cents, his mama's will for staying alive, and Dog. But none of those things are gonna help if Scooter Cobb finds him."--… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Bette Lee Crosby's book Spare Change was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Bette Lee Crosby is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,753,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible