Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Winter of the World

by Ken Follett

Series: Century Trilogy (2)

Recently added bybbbart, ccoxhere, private library, mary.asne, e-zReader, rena200, PLReader, kinkykid, Terrable1020

English (61)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (80)
Where 'Fall of Giants' was Follet's masterful work on World War I, 'Winter of the World' is the same for World War II. Follett's characters and their children grow increasingly interconnected, and directly experience both the European and Pacific Fronts of the war.

Incredibly well written, the characters are forced to experience brutality, poverty, and sadness on an incredible level. This book isn't for the faint of heart, and will touch on elements of World War II that don't often come to light. A strong sequel to an already strong series. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
This is book two in a trilogy, and I can't wait for the third one to be released later this year. These are the first Ken Follett books I've read, and if am a fan! Besides enjoying the story, I learned a lot of history reading this. I am invested in the characters and can't wait to hear what happens to them and how the next generation does. ( )

Follett, Kenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Overy, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarabelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DietmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandparents,

Tom and Minnie Follett,

Arthur and Bessie Evans
Carla knew her parents were going to have a row.

Ken Follett follows up his #1 New York Times bestseller Fall of Giants with a brilliant, page-turning epic about the heroism and honor of World War II, and the dawn of the atomic age.

Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants, the first novel in his extraordinary new historical epic, The Century Trilogy, was an international sensation, acclaimed as “sweeping and fascinating, a book that will consume you for days or weeks” (USA Today) and “grippingly told and readable to the end” (The New York Times Book Review). “If the next two volumes are as lively and entertaining as Fall of Giants,” said The Washington Post, “they should be well worth waiting for.”

Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.

Carla von Ulrich, born of German and English parents, finds her life engulfed by the Nazi tide until she commits a deed of great courage and heartbreak. . . . American brothers Woody and Chuck Dewar, each with a secret, take separate paths to momentous events, one in Washington, the other in the bloody jungles of the Pacific. . . . English student Lloyd Williams discovers in the crucible of the Spanish Civil War that he must fight Communism just as hard as Fascism. . . . Daisy Peshkov, a driven American social climber, cares only for popularity and the fast set, until the war transforms her life, not just once but twice, while her cousin Volodya carves out a position in Soviet intelligence that will affect not only this war—but the war to come.

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as their experiences illuminate the cataclysms that marked the century. From the drawing rooms of the rich to the blood and smoke of battle, their lives intertwine, propelling the reader into dramas of ever-increasing complexity.

As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With passion and the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:26 -0400)

Continues the stories of five interrelated families who struggle with social, political, and economic turmoil in the mid-twentieth century, during which they witness the rise of Nazi Germany, the Spanish Civil War, and the horrors of World War II.

593 wanted8 pay17 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,313,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible