Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Winter of the World (edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Member:Alinea
Title:Winter of the World
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Macmillan (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:World War II, England, America, Germany, Japan

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

English (64)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (84)
"Five interrelated families witness the Third Reich, the Spanish Civil War, World War II and the era of nuclear proliferation; second in trilogy" ( )
  | Jun 29, 2015 | edit |
This is volume toe of The Century Trilogy and takes up where Vol. 1 ended after theFirst World War. We continue to follow the same five families living if four countries- England & Wales, Germany, Russia and America. By having his fictional characters taking key roles in historical events from 1933 to 1949, Follett manages to present a very accurate history of those years while also giving us an interesting narrative about how those events play in the lives of his characters.

The German families obviously experience some of the most gut retching events from doling out Nazi terrorism to experiencing it. Some members of the families are Nazis and others are tortured and killed by the Gestapo. Some serve on the Eastern Front where they witness the Nazi atrocities and become disillusion with the Hitler regime.

The Welsh and English families fight in the war in different capacities including behind the lines in France. The American families are involved in espionage, negotiations that brought about the United Nations, and another helped with the development of the Atomic Bomb. Some members of the Russian families worked close to Stalin and are also involved in the Russian Atomic Bomb program.

I most enjoyed the parts of the novel that revealed how the war affected the everyday lives of the civilians in all countries covered in the novel. The struggle for food, the fear of being accused of wrong doing which was especially prevalent in Russia and Germany and the terror of the bombing and shelling made life a living help for them all.

A great read. ( )
  lamour | Jun 25, 2015 |
After longing to get my hands on Winter of the World ever since I finished Fall of Giants, I couldn't help but being disappointed by the second part of the Century Trilogy by Follet.

It's of course a very nice book. Easy read, great historical background, compelling characters and what not.

What was it then that kept me from enjoying this book as much as the other grand historical tales by Follet? I guess it's the sheer speed at which certain major events (both historical and personal to the characters) are described. Some chapters seemed to be going on forever, where others were excruciatingly short.

Events like the return of Werner and Erik, the death of Joanne, the discovery of Lloyd's true lineage, etc... weren't described in enough depth. I also didn't find an ending to the story line involving Eva and her probable return to Berlin.

Second, I also couldn't help but think parts of the book were too much influenced by a Western point of view (read: Anglo-American point of view) and not duly neutrally presented. Personally, I'm quite allergic to that.

Finally, I also felt more related and therefore interested in the parent-characters as in the newly introduced child-characters. Perhaps because I enjoyed the previous book so much more.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward for the final book in this trilogy since I'm learning so much from them and they are, after all, pretty enjoyable reads. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
Where 'Fall of Giants' was Follet's masterful work on World War I, 'Winter of the World' is the same for World War II. Follett's characters and their children grow increasingly interconnected, and directly experience both the European and Pacific Fronts of the war.

Incredibly well written, the characters are forced to experience brutality, poverty, and sadness on an incredible level. This book isn't for the faint of heart, and will touch on elements of World War II that don't often come to light. A strong sequel to an already strong series. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
This is book two in a trilogy, and I can't wait for the third one to be released later this year. These are the first Ken Follett books I've read, and if am a fan! Besides enjoying the story, I learned a lot of history reading this. I am invested in the characters and can't wait to hear what happens to them and how the next generation does. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |

Overy, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarabelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DietmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandparents,

Tom and Minnie Follett,

Arthur and Bessie Evans
Carla knew her parents were going to have a row.

Ken Follett follows up his #1 New York Times bestseller Fall of Giants with a brilliant, page-turning epic about the heroism and honor of World War II, and the dawn of the atomic age.

Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants, the first novel in his extraordinary new historical epic, The Century Trilogy, was an international sensation, acclaimed as “sweeping and fascinating, a book that will consume you for days or weeks” (USA Today) and “grippingly told and readable to the end” (The New York Times Book Review). “If the next two volumes are as lively and entertaining as Fall of Giants,” said The Washington Post, “they should be well worth waiting for.”

Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.

Carla von Ulrich, born of German and English parents, finds her life engulfed by the Nazi tide until she commits a deed of great courage and heartbreak. . . . American brothers Woody and Chuck Dewar, each with a secret, take separate paths to momentous events, one in Washington, the other in the bloody jungles of the Pacific. . . . English student Lloyd Williams discovers in the crucible of the Spanish Civil War that he must fight Communism just as hard as Fascism. . . . Daisy Peshkov, a driven American social climber, cares only for popularity and the fast set, until the war transforms her life, not just once but twice, while her cousin Volodya carves out a position in Soviet intelligence that will affect not only this war—but the war to come.

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as their experiences illuminate the cataclysms that marked the century. From the drawing rooms of the rich to the blood and smoke of battle, their lives intertwine, propelling the reader into dramas of ever-increasing complexity.

As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With passion and the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:26 -0400)

Continues the stories of five interrelated families who struggle with social, political, and economic turmoil in the mid-twentieth century, during which they witness the rise of Nazi Germany, the Spanish Civil War, and the horrors of World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,870,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible