Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Winter of the World (edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Title:Winter of the World
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Macmillan (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Hardcover

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Recently added byajwseven, private library, ivconsack, LitaVore, mcbuchanan, jazburke, EJanega, bridgetmarkwood

English (79)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (101)
What does it mean having to fight for freedom? It's not so obvious to those who were born in freedom and not even suffered lack of it much less experienced tyranny.
To fight for freedom is to fight evil. To imagine better the consequences of not fighting it one can read Ken Follett's Century trilogy. It vividly and interestingly describes most of the 20th century with two of the worst historical evils (Nazism and Communism) and the echoes of even greater evil: slavery. All high school kids should read Follett's trilogy!
  parp | Aug 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book nearly as much as Fall of Giants. I have only two criticisms of this one though: I did not care for how Follett handled the Daisy character - it was like he wasn't sure what to do with her and his lack of commitment made her seem one dimensional; second I thought the sex scenes in this book were ridiculous, it seemed as if they were just thrown in as some part of a formula - "page _____ we need a sex scene". They were awkward, unnecessary to the story line and jarring to the point that they disrupted the flow of the storytelling. Overall this book was another magnificent saga with a wonderful historical base. I learned a lot and was completely invested in the characters (except for Daisy) the whole time. I will be eagerly anticipating the third volume of this trilogy. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
If you want to read this Century Trilogy, starting with Fall of Giants, you'd better be prepared to be in it for the long haul. Every book in the trilogy is long by itself, and when you add all three together, it's going to take a lot of reading or listening hours.

The first book deals mostly with the period around WWI. This second book deals with the time around WWII. Some of the characters continue, and some are replaced in prominence by their children. As with the first book, this one occasionally lapsed into too much of a soap opera for me, and the prose sometimes felt just a bit stilted to me, but overall, I really enjoyed it. And don't count on some of the characters, maybe even some of your favorites, to live to see another book.

The narrator of the unabridged Audible edition, John Lee, does a very good job with the different characters and the different accents. Some of the words are pronounced differently than I learned them, but sometimes that is due to his using the European pronunciation, as he does with “fracas.”

This book drew me in more than the first one, so there was some time between listening to the first book and starting the second. Follett does a very good job of reminding me who the characters are, and how they fit into the story. That's a really good thing because there are LOTS of characters, and it is occasionally hard to keep them all straight.

I liked this book enough so that as soon as I finished it, I started listening to the third book, Edge of Eternity. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed the first book of this trilogy more. In this second novel, the characters seem more two dimensional -- the good are good and the bad are bad. The characters also seem to be a key places in history just a bit too often -- but that's how the author is able to move the plot along. I'll read the third because I've come this far..... ( )
  LynnB | Jul 22, 2016 |
Winter of the World started off slowly as the new generation of the five families from Fall of Giants were introduced but once the new cast was fully fleshed out it really took off. I don't know which was more interesting, the epic historical events of WWII or the intrigues of the real and fictional characters. I was disappointed early in the book that Follett had neglected to include a black American but that was soon rectified. The next generation were just making their appearances at the end of the book and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them in the next installment. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Nacht van het kwaad kent veel van de succeselementen die de vorige boeken van Follett kenmerkten: actie, romantiek, geweld (vrijwel altijd kort maar hevig), dreiging, sterke vrouwen, ingenieuze intriges, personages die de oorlog en alle verschrikkingen invoelbaar maken, wereldschokkende gebeurtenissen gekoppeld aan het verdriet of geluk van kleine mensen en een degelijke historische basis. En ook nu hebben ze een overweldigend effect.

Ken Follett neemt de lezer mee van grote landhuizen naar het Witte Huis, de slagvelden in Europa en de Stille Oceaan om ons, via zijn fictieve en historische personages, de ultieme geschiedenisles te geven die de middelbare school ons heeft onthouden. Het is knap hoe Follett de ongelooflijk complexe gebeurtenissen heeft weten te comprimeren tot een volstrekt begrijpelijk geheel. Dat alles in eenvoudige taal, met intelligente, spannende verhaallijnen en verrassende plotwendingen. Infotainment op zijn best. Gelukkig wacht ons nog een laatste boek. Hierin worden de periode na WO II en de Koude Oorlog beschreven. Verplichte literatuur voor de liefhebber!
added by WiJiWiJi | editCrimezone, Kees de Bree (Dec 7, 2012)
"He fills his pages with fascinating characters and then uses the great events of this time to make an exciting plot."
"The result, as in “Fall of Giants,” is an honorable piece of popular entertainment and a consistently compelling portrait of a world in crisis."
"It makes the biggest tectonic shifts of its era — the struggle between Communism and Fascism, the irreversible march of science toward nuclear weapons, the laying of groundwork for the coming cold war — feel momentous indeed."
added by bookfitz | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Sep 16, 2012)
Ken Follett continúa la apasionante historia de las cinco familias europeas que nos cautivaron con La caída de los gigantes. En esta ocasión, son los hijos de los protagonistas de la entrega anterior los que, a través de sus luchas personales, políticas y militares, nos muestran la historia de unos años que cambiaron el mundo para siempre. De la mano de los Williams, los Fitzherbert, los Peshkov, los Von Ulrich y los Dewar, emprendemos un apasionante viaje a través de los acontecimientos que marcaron sus vidas y las de un mundo que se desmorona, desde el ascenso del Partido Nazi al poder en 1933, auténtico preludio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, hasta el inicio de la Guerra Fría en 1949.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Overy, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarabelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DietmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandparents,

Tom and Minnie Follett,

Arthur and Bessie Evans
Carla knew her parents were going to have a row.

Ken Follett follows up his #1 New York Times bestseller Fall of Giants with a brilliant, page-turning epic about the heroism and honor of World War II, and the dawn of the atomic age.

Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants, the first novel in his extraordinary new historical epic, The Century Trilogy, was an international sensation, acclaimed as “sweeping and fascinating, a book that will consume you for days or weeks” (USA Today) and “grippingly told and readable to the end” (The New York Times Book Review). “If the next two volumes are as lively and entertaining as Fall of Giants,” said The Washington Post, “they should be well worth waiting for.”

Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.

Carla von Ulrich, born of German and English parents, finds her life engulfed by the Nazi tide until she commits a deed of great courage and heartbreak. . . . American brothers Woody and Chuck Dewar, each with a secret, take separate paths to momentous events, one in Washington, the other in the bloody jungles of the Pacific. . . . English student Lloyd Williams discovers in the crucible of the Spanish Civil War that he must fight Communism just as hard as Fascism. . . . Daisy Peshkov, a driven American social climber, cares only for popularity and the fast set, until the war transforms her life, not just once but twice, while her cousin Volodya carves out a position in Soviet intelligence that will affect not only this war—but the war to come.

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as their experiences illuminate the cataclysms that marked the century. From the drawing rooms of the rich to the blood and smoke of battle, their lives intertwine, propelling the reader into dramas of ever-increasing complexity.

As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With passion and the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Continues the stories of five interrelated families who struggle with social, political, and economic turmoil in the mid-twentieth century, during which they witness the rise of Nazi Germany, the Spanish Civil War, and the horrors of World War II.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,742,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible