Winter of the World (Century of Giants…

Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy 2) (edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Member:matluvsbooks
Title:Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy 2)
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Macmillan (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 832 pages
Rating:***1/2

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

English (84)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (106)
WINTER OF THE WORLD(THE CENTURY TRILOGY #2) BY KEN FOLLETT is the second in the Century Trilogy takes the reader to 1933 with the same five families, all from different countries. In this book we set the focus on the second generation & we get a deeper focus of their lives.
Spanning thru WWII, we still get to meet some very famous "real" people & meet new fictional characters, both good and bad.

I have so far enjoyed this series because I feel now that these characters are like family or friends,which is attributed to the excellence of how Mr Follett portrays them. As a historical fiction junkie I cant wait to get the time to finish the trilogy. Even though we bounce from country you will have no problem keeping up with the plot or the characters as Mr.Folliet is molding and binding them together into what I hope to be a great conclusion to the series. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Apr 10, 2017 |
Loved this continuation of the next generation as they struggled through the second world war. Terrific character development and ongoing interesting stories with each of the characters kept me engaged right through to the end. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Jan 24, 2017 |
This book sweeps from 1933 to 1949 and covers the huge changes that the world lived through viewed through the eyes of people from all sides of the political divide.

From the rise of Hitler and throught the second world war and beyond the research shines through and the accuracy is such that it is at times hard to tell fact from fiction.

The scenes where people face great moral dilemmas in order to advance the war are particularly powerful.

Sadly though this is not as good a book one in the trilogy to me. Firstly there is just no need for all the sex scenes and in great detail!! Also although appreciating hat the characters lives need to interact it just feels too contrived and un-natural at times.

Very topical to read just now with the problems in Crimea showing that some things sadly never change.

I look forward to the third instalment. ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
I love this book excellence read ( )
  TracyKelley | Nov 23, 2016 |
I originally got this book from the library when it first came out, but only read the first few chapters before I had to return it, and I finally got around to re-requesting & reading it over the last couple of weeks.

Overall, I did enjoy the book, but definitely not as much as the first one.

There are too many characters to keep track of, and that was a huge turn off for me. Yes, there's a cheat sheet, but if there are so many characters in the book that the author feels there's a need for a cheat sheet, then that should have been his first clue that there are TOO many characters! Because there were so many "main" characters in the book, I felt like I didn't really get to know any of them & really didn't upset when any of them would get killed off (instead I felt relief that it was one less character). The book jumps from character to character (and as such, from different parts of the world) and was just one more thing to keep track of in this large volume (which for the record, I'm a HUGE fan of big books / big series).

Another turn off for me is that WWII events that the average American knows about - such as Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust - are barely mentioned in the book. This actually wasn't as big a turn off for me once I thought about it - I wouldn't have wanted to read a book that spent 100 pages on Pearl Harbor when I know a decent amount about Pearl Harbor. Instead Follett does a great job writing about the world's involvement in the war in general - which is exactly the point of this series, isn't it? So what started as a turn off ended up a positive.

A "neutral" point I'd like to make is that Follett does NOT do a lot of rehashing of the first book like most series books do. Usually there's a little brief mention of a plot point or a little reminder of who the character is, and he doesn't do this. Usually that's a good thing, but again see my first point - there's a LOT of characters to keep track of, and a little bit of reminding would have helped. Not that you can't figure out who everyone is fast enough - the first mention of Maud made me go "who?" but within a sentence or two I remembered who she was, who she married & why she was living in a country that wasn't her own.

So what's good about the book? Well... this book quite neatly talks about so so many events & ties them together realistically. Yes, a few plot points you are going to see happening - which I won't give an example of for spoiling the book. But it's a historical fiction book & anyone who knows their history is going to see some of these plots happening. Follett is such an excellent author - and quite frankly one of my top ten favorite authors - that you want to read the next page, and the next, and the next.

anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Nacht van het kwaad kent veel van de succeselementen die de vorige boeken van Follett kenmerkten: actie, romantiek, geweld (vrijwel altijd kort maar hevig), dreiging, sterke vrouwen, ingenieuze intriges, personages die de oorlog en alle verschrikkingen invoelbaar maken, wereldschokkende gebeurtenissen gekoppeld aan het verdriet of geluk van kleine mensen en een degelijke historische basis. En ook nu hebben ze een overweldigend effect.

Ken Follett neemt de lezer mee van grote landhuizen naar het Witte Huis, de slagvelden in Europa en de Stille Oceaan om ons, via zijn fictieve en historische personages, de ultieme geschiedenisles te geven die de middelbare school ons heeft onthouden. Het is knap hoe Follett de ongelooflijk complexe gebeurtenissen heeft weten te comprimeren tot een volstrekt begrijpelijk geheel. Dat alles in eenvoudige taal, met intelligente, spannende verhaallijnen en verrassende plotwendingen. Infotainment op zijn best. Gelukkig wacht ons nog een laatste boek. Hierin worden de periode na WO II en de Koude Oorlog beschreven. Verplichte literatuur voor de liefhebber!
added by WiJiWiJi | editCrimezone, Kees de Bree (Dec 7, 2012)

"He fills his pages with fascinating characters and then uses the great events of this time to make an exciting plot."

"The result, as in “Fall of Giants,” is an honorable piece of popular entertainment and a consistently compelling portrait of a world in crisis."

"It makes the biggest tectonic shifts of its era — the struggle between Communism and Fascism, the irreversible march of science toward nuclear weapons, the laying of groundwork for the coming cold war — feel momentous indeed."
added by bookfitz | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Sep 16, 2012)

Ken Follett continúa la apasionante historia de las cinco familias europeas que nos cautivaron con La caída de los gigantes. En esta ocasión, son los hijos de los protagonistas de la entrega anterior los que, a través de sus luchas personales, políticas y militares, nos muestran la historia de unos años que cambiaron el mundo para siempre. De la mano de los Williams, los Fitzherbert, los Peshkov, los Von Ulrich y los Dewar, emprendemos un apasionante viaje a través de los acontecimientos que marcaron sus vidas y las de un mundo que se desmorona, desde el ascenso del Partido Nazi al poder en 1933, auténtico preludio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, hasta el inicio de la Guerra Fría en 1949.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Overy, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarabelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DietmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandparents,

Tom and Minnie Follett,

Arthur and Bessie Evans
Carla knew her parents were going to have a row.

Ken Follett follows up his #1 New York Times bestseller Fall of Giants with a brilliant, page-turning epic about the heroism and honor of World War II, and the dawn of the atomic age.

Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants, the first novel in his extraordinary new historical epic, The Century Trilogy, was an international sensation, acclaimed as “sweeping and fascinating, a book that will consume you for days or weeks” (USA Today) and “grippingly told and readable to the end” (The New York Times Book Review). “If the next two volumes are as lively and entertaining as Fall of Giants,” said The Washington Post, “they should be well worth waiting for.”

Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.

Carla von Ulrich, born of German and English parents, finds her life engulfed by the Nazi tide until she commits a deed of great courage and heartbreak. . . . American brothers Woody and Chuck Dewar, each with a secret, take separate paths to momentous events, one in Washington, the other in the bloody jungles of the Pacific. . . . English student Lloyd Williams discovers in the crucible of the Spanish Civil War that he must fight Communism just as hard as Fascism. . . . Daisy Peshkov, a driven American social climber, cares only for popularity and the fast set, until the war transforms her life, not just once but twice, while her cousin Volodya carves out a position in Soviet intelligence that will affect not only this war—but the war to come.

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as their experiences illuminate the cataclysms that marked the century. From the drawing rooms of the rich to the blood and smoke of battle, their lives intertwine, propelling the reader into dramas of ever-increasing complexity.

As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With passion and the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Continues the stories of five interrelated families who struggle with social, political, and economic turmoil in the mid-twentieth century, during which they witness the rise of Nazi Germany, the Spanish Civil War, and the horrors of World War II.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,423,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible