Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Winter of the World (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Member:Echocliffs
Title:Winter of the World
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Macmillan (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Hardcover

Winter of the World by Ken Follett (2012)

English (48)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (63)
Workmanlike but interesting exploration of WWII from all sides of the conflict (told through the stories of families in England, USA, Germany and Russia). Part 2 of a trilogy so am now committed to reading Part 3 when it is published! ( )
  PennyAnne | Aug 13, 2014 |
I struggled to finish this one, but toughed it out because I did want to know what happens to the characters, even as Follett’s writing style got on my nerves. I’d have to take another look at Fall of Giants, or even The Pillars of the Earth to be sure, but I suspect that this book suffered because he was in a rush to get it out a year after the first part.

There are no graceful turns of phrase, and most of the war stuff is pretty pedantic. Maybe I’m just too familiar with the politics of WWII. Nazis vs. Communists. The atrocities committed on both sides. I know exactly what’s going to happen when disabled children are sent to a hospital in Bavaria for “special treatment.” Or when an American soldier gets stationed in Oahu.

Excellent writing and fascinating characters should be able to transcend that, but I don’t think this book has either. Some critics of Pillars of the Earth accused Follett of poorly developed female characters. So to speak, because all the women were described by the size of their bosoms. That didn’t bother me in Pillars, but I’m keenly aware and annoyed by it now.

Star-crossed lovers are separated and come back together with very little drama and uninspired sex. “I’ve always loved you.” “I love you too!” “Now take off your pants!”

I hope part three is better, because I feel obligated to find out what happens to everyone during the Cold War. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
Big book, retelling WW2 as it affected the lives of a large cast of characters. Enjoyable, but long. Didn't learn anything new about the war, but worth listening to anyway. I had to check it out multiple times to be able to listen to all 25 tapes. ( )
  Pmaurer | May 4, 2014 |
The factual history contained in this book could have been written in fewer than fifty pages, yet the understanding and visceral feelings associated with those facts could only have been done so well by Mr. Follett. Bravo. ( )
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |

Overy, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarabelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DietmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandparents,

Tom and Minnie Follett,

Arthur and Bessie Evans
Carla knew her parents were going to have a row.

Ken Follett follows up his #1 New York Times bestseller Fall of Giants with a brilliant, page-turning epic about the heroism and honor of World War II, and the dawn of the atomic age.

Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants, the first novel in his extraordinary new historical epic, The Century Trilogy, was an international sensation, acclaimed as “sweeping and fascinating, a book that will consume you for days or weeks” (USA Today) and “grippingly told and readable to the end” (The New York Times Book Review). “If the next two volumes are as lively and entertaining as Fall of Giants,” said The Washington Post, “they should be well worth waiting for.”

Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.

Carla von Ulrich, born of German and English parents, finds her life engulfed by the Nazi tide until she commits a deed of great courage and heartbreak. . . . American brothers Woody and Chuck Dewar, each with a secret, take separate paths to momentous events, one in Washington, the other in the bloody jungles of the Pacific. . . . English student Lloyd Williams discovers in the crucible of the Spanish Civil War that he must fight Communism just as hard as Fascism. . . . Daisy Peshkov, a driven American social climber, cares only for popularity and the fast set, until the war transforms her life, not just once but twice, while her cousin Volodya carves out a position in Soviet intelligence that will affect not only this war—but the war to come.

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as their experiences illuminate the cataclysms that marked the century. From the drawing rooms of the rich to the blood and smoke of battle, their lives intertwine, propelling the reader into dramas of ever-increasing complexity.

As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With passion and the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:26 -0400)

Continues the stories of five interrelated families who struggle with social, political, and economic turmoil in the mid-twentieth century, during which they witness the rise of Nazi Germany, the Spanish Civil War, and the horrors of World War II.

593 wanted8 pay8 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible