White Noise: Text and Criticism (Viking…

White Noise: Text and Criticism (Viking Critical Library)

by Don DeLillo (Author)

1985 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
I love this novel. I read it first in High School (on my own, none of my teachers could even identify who Delillo was) and then again in Undergrad and finally again in Grad school. I'll be reading this a fourth, fifth, and probably 6th time because Delillo is amazing and this is one of my favorite novels of all time.

I
Plus I love that there is a band called the Airborne Toxic Event that's based on this book. And I love that Rhett Miller sings "I read it in Delillo like he'd written it to me" Love love love. ( )
  eidzior | Apr 6, 2013 |
If you are new to postmodernism, White Noise will be a novel and elucidative experience, capturing the absurdism in our current world with piercing accuracy. These ideas will, however, become repetitive, especially due to the lack of plot. ( )
  g0ldenboy | Apr 4, 2011 |
I have a love/hate relationship with post-modern literature. Largely because I'm never entirely certain if I like it or not. White Noise manages to almost transcend that for me. It's funny. It's witty. The characters are quirky, but not entirely unbelievable. And it's an almost easy to see commentary on modern life, with mentions of our dependency on television and radio. As well as the human need to out run or defeat death, no matter how inevitable it really is. Definitely a book whose popularity makes sense. It speaks to something still incredibly relevant for all of us. ( )
  Alera | Feb 18, 2010 |
I actually finished this about a week ago and I'm still not quite sure if I liked it or not. Yes, the book was funny as hell in a lot of places. DeLillo's nothing if not a master of very dark humor. But still, at the end, all I found myself wondering was "What was the point?"

White Noise doesn't seem to even have a plot until the last of three sections. Surprisingly, it was the plotless sections I enjoyed the most. They were funnier and had some fantastic one liners. The third section, honestly, I'm not quite sure about. It had a plot, but it was kind of a stupid, over the top one that didn't make sense (to me) when taking the first two sections into consideration. The end of the book I read quickly just because I wanted to be done with it, and that's the worst reason to finish a book.

I'm giving the book a three for now. It's a neutral rating. In a couple years I plan to reread this book and hopefully, I'll have a better take on the book then. ( )
1 vote RebeccaAnn | Nov 24, 2009 |

DeLillo, DonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Osteen, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please distinguish this ccritical edition, which includes substantial additional material, from Don DeLillo's original 1985 novel, White Noise. Thank you.

Winner of the National Book Award in 1985, White Noise is the story of Jack and Babette and their children from their six or so various marriages. They live in a college town where Jack is Professor of Hitler Studies (and conceals the fact that he does not speak a word of German), and Babette teaches posture and volunteers by reading from the tabloids to a group of elderly shut-ins. They are happy enough until a deadly toxic accident and Babette's addiction to an experimental drug make Jake question everything. White Noise is considered a postmodern classic and its unfolding of themes of consumerism, family and divorce, and technology as a deadly threat have attracted the attention of literary scholars since its publication. This Viking Critical Library edition, prepared by scholar Mark Osteen, is the only edition of White Noise that contains the entire text along with an extensive critical apparatus, including a critical introduction, selected essays on the author, the work and its themes, reviews, a chronology of DeLillo's life and work, a list of discussion topics, and a selected bibliography.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:53 -0400)

Jack Gladney, a professor of Nazi history at a Middle American liberal arts school, and his family try to handle normal family life as a black cloud of lethal gaseous fumes threatens their town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,275,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible