Captain Vorpatril's Alliance…

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

893769,888 (4)1 / 119
Member:ronincats
Title:Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Baen (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:science fiction, nan 12/12

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold (2012)

English (75)  French (1)  All (76)
This is the first Vorkosigan saga book I've read (I read it because it's a Hugo nominee), and I had little expectations or knowledge going into it. Even so, it proved to be quite accessible; there was just the right amount of details and explanation to gradually get a feel for the larger world, without feeling totally overwhelmed.

The characters were generally compelling - although I was disappointed to find out that By doesn't appear much elsewhere. I enjoyed Ivan and Tej's relationship and interaction, and found ghem Estif mysteriously interesting. I never really got a good feel for the Jewels, and how they fit with the rest of the family. Maybe it was there, but it felt somewhat incomplete to me.

The story was a fun romp, with plenty of entertaining moments. The romance was very enjoyable (even if the end was apparent from when it started). The appearance of Tej's family on Barrayar, and the ensuing theft plot genuinely surprised me, as I was at the point wondering where the story was going to for the rest of the novel.

The occasional switches of viewpoint between Ivan and Tej irritated me slightly; something about the choices or writing style for the scenes when they were both together grated on me. But it's a minor quibble, and only bothered me for a few of the scenes. In general, however, I enjoyed the writing style.

While it sounds like the other Vorkosigan novels are somewhat different in nature, reading Captain Vorpatril's Alliance definitely left me more inclined to check them out. ( )
  teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
Some soft science fiction, an attempted kidnapping, hidden treasure, and a bit of romance, make for a very enjoyable story here. Bujold's Vorkosigan stories have never disappointed me, and this is another good one. The characters are likeable, the setting is richly textured, the dialogue feels natural, and the plot is intriguing. It;s an enjoyable read. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this one. Bit fluffy & humorous; only barely SF at all. But Cpt Vorpartril and Tej & their alliance were entertaining.
  FKarr | Aug 21, 2016 |
Let me begin with a warning, do not read Captain Vorpartril's Alliance if you are new to the Vorkosigan Saga. Of all the Vorkosigan books it is this one that would benefit most with some background knowledge. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that Bujold penned this book as a thank you to her loyal addicts. For more visit: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-art-of-wooing-review-of-captain... ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
Loved having more of Ivan and his restful approach to big problems. Highly entertaining. ( )
  pammab | Apr 25, 2016 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carol Russo DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, JoyPagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ivan’s door buzzer sounded at close to Komarran midnight, just when he was unwinding enough from lingering jump lag, his screwed-up diurnal rhythm, and the day’s labors to consider sleep.
'I do not have a claustrophobia thing. I have a perfectly rational dislike of being locked up in small, dark, wet spaces by people trying to kill me.' (Ivan)
His eye fell on Simon, watching this with his mouth gone wry. 'And Simon. What the hell?' The Why was I blindsided? look was very clear in the Emperor's eye, which Ivan could only be grateful was not turned on him. Yet.

Simon gave him a beleaguered head tilt. 'You know that long lunch appointment I made with you for tomorrow?'

'Yes...?'

'I should have made it for yesterday.'

"Captain Ivan Vorpatril is happy with his relatively uneventful bachelor's life of a staff officer to a Barrayaran Admiral. Ivan, cousin to Imperial troubleshooter Miles Vorkosigan, is not far down the hereditary list for the emperorship. Thankfully, new heirs have directed that headache elsewhere leaving Ivan to enjoy like on Komarr. But when and old friend in Barrayaran intelligence asks Ivan to protect an attractive young woman Tej Arqua his chivalrous nature takes over and danger finds him once again. Tej and her half-sister Rish are fleeing the violent overthrow of their clan but it seems Tej may possess a hidden secret that could corrupt the heart of a highly regarded Barrayarn family. But none of Tej's formidable adversaries have counted on Ivan Vorpatril. Behind his facade of wry and self effacing humor lies a true and cunning protector who will never leave a distressed lady in the lurch"--… (more)

193 wanted2 pay7 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,770,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible