Captain Vorpatril's Alliance…

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

5855416,745 (4.07)1 / 82
Member:JTandRobin
Title:Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Baen (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Nook
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, sf

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold (2012)

2012 (15) 2013 (15) adventure (10) ARC (8) audio (4) audiobook (8) Barrayar (7) ebook (52) family (5) fiction (70) hardcover (11) humor (8) Ivan (5) Kindle (10) Miles Vorkosigan (6) novel (12) read (10) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (12) romance (33) science fiction (174) series (19) sf (65) sff (18) signed (13) space opera (43) speculative fiction (6) to-read (19) Vorkosigan (49) Vorkosigan Saga (19)

This story is tons of fun. Another great installment in one of my favorite science fictions series. Grover Gardner??s narration of the audiobook is outstanding. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Not as good as the main series, kind of anti-climatic for Ivan, a bit over the top and more unrealistic than usual.
Still one of the best space opera novels ever written of course. ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
My favorite Bujold since "Civil Campaign." A treat! ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
A little unfocused, but fun. Nice, also, to see more of Ivan and By from a perspective other than Miles'. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Overall Satisfaction: ★★★★
Intellectual Satisfaction: ★★★★
Emotional Satisfaction: ★★★★
Read this for: The characters
Don't read this for: The world-building? The prose? I don't know, nothing stands out as exceptional but nothing stands out as awful either.
Bechdel Test: Pass
Johnson Test: Fail
Books I was reminded of: The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Will I read more by this author? I will be buying Bujold's books until she dies.

The Vorkosigan Saga is one of my favorite series of books of all time. I've read them more times than I can count, and I frequently am reminded of lines or moments from them in both my own writing and in my day-to-day life. But recent Vorkosigan novels have been kind of. . . lightweight, and I got the impression that this one was going to continue that trend, which is why I am only reading it now, over a year after its release.

And it is lightweight. It's the "Ivan has some adventures not caused by Miles and finally settles down" book. Science fiction romances don't have to be lightweight -- Komarr wasn't, just to give another Vorkosigan Saga example -- but this one definitely is, because while there's plenty of plot happening there are very few consequences to the plot for Ivan, very little risk. (This was my major issue with Cryoburn as well.) There are consequences for Tej, the other major viewpoint character and Ivan's love interest, but they're never really sold as urgent and potentially catastrophic, and because she's new to the series we aren't grounded in her POV by previous books.

The whole book just feels. . . loose. . .

(Read the rest of the review on my blog!) ( )
  PhoenixFalls | Jan 22, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carol Russo DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seely, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ivan’s door buzzer sounded at close to Komarran midnight, just when he was unwinding enough from lingering jump lag, his screwed-up diurnal rhythm, and the day’s labors to consider sleep.
'I do not have a claustrophobia thing. I have a perfectly rational dislike of being locked up in small, dark, wet spaces by people trying to kill me.' (Ivan)
His eye fell on Simon, watching this with his mouth gone wry. 'And Simon. What the hell?' The Why was I blindsided? look was very clear in the Emperor's eye, which Ivan could only be grateful was not turned on him. Yet.

Simon gave him a beleaguered head tilt. 'You know that long lunch appointment I made with you for tomorrow?'

'Yes...?'

'I should have made it for yesterday.'

"Captain Ivan Vorpatril is happy with his relatively uneventful bachelor's life of a staff officer to a Barrayaran Admiral. Ivan, cousin to Imperial troubleshooter Miles Vorkosigan, is not far down the hereditary list for the emperorship. Thankfully, new heirs have directed that headache elsewhere leaving Ivan to enjoy like on Komarr. But when and old friend in Barrayaran intelligence asks Ivan to protect an attractive young woman Tej Arqua his chivalrous nature takes over and danger finds him once again. Tej and her half-sister Rish are fleeing the violent overthrow of their clan but it seems Tej may possess a hidden secret that could corrupt the heart of a highly regarded Barrayarn family. But none of Tej's formidable adversaries have counted on Ivan Vorpatril. Behind his facade of wry and self effacing humor lies a true and cunning protector who will never leave a distressed lady in the lurch"--… (more)

124 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible