Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan…

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

6436015,030 (4.03)1 / 86
Member:phyllis2779
Title:Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Baen (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Public Library, Read but unowned, Read and disposed of
Rating:*****
Tags:SF

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold (2012)

The first book that features Ivan as the main character. While Miles does put in a cameo appearance, he is simply another oddity in Ivan's family. As Tej soon finds out, Ivan is a lot more than he seems. He's self-effacing & slightly comical in his pursuit of a life of ease & the ladies. Everyone underestimates him, including himself. When things get tough, he shines, though.

It was fun seeing the series from this POV, but one book featuring Ivan is enough. Still, I'm glad I listened to this one. Same reader, excellent job.

At the end of this edition, Bujold's afterword addresses the reading order of her series. Chronological
if you can, but she also addresses the internal story arcs. She says she's avoided numbering books because she might go back & write another story in, which would ruin that numbering. Obviously, that's happened more than once & could easily happen again. There are tantalizing hints of other adventures that have never been written even in Miles' crowded chronology not to mention other characters. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Please note this book isn't out yet but you can find electronic advance copies available from the publisher.
Ivan finally gets his own book but for the most part the book is a fun romp of dealing with the consequences of quick decisions that were not thought out carefully. Of course everything ends up ok for almost everybody. What I did like was more of Gregor balancing the role of Emperor and friend. An enjoyable read and I'll probably read it again sometime soon.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Bujold's best entries in the Vorkosigan series manage to do what Terry Pratchett has done so often -- mix adventure, comedy, and the occasional thoughtful pause -- into an enjoyable several hours. Sadly Captain Vorpatril's Alliance is not one of those entries. A few pages of action are followed by chapters of sit-down conversation, and the romantic elements drive the plot so predictably that there is virtually no suspense. The first third is the worst, where almost all the discussion is filling backstory infodumps, but after that, it's just one visit to one character-with-more-depths-than-meets-the-eye after another. Not so bad that I won't get the next book and hope for better, but not a book I'd recommend to anyone unfamiliar with the series. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Jun 16, 2014 |
I understand Bujold is pretty popular in the genre. If this book is representative, I don't get it. It was fine, I guess, if you like thinly-veiled marriage-of-convenience romances disguised as space opera? Maybe it would have been more meaningful if I'd known any of the characters better, but there would still be no interesting scientific ideas. If this wins the Hugo, I will make a frowny face. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carol Russo DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seely, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ivan’s door buzzer sounded at close to Komarran midnight, just when he was unwinding enough from lingering jump lag, his screwed-up diurnal rhythm, and the day’s labors to consider sleep.
'I do not have a claustrophobia thing. I have a perfectly rational dislike of being locked up in small, dark, wet spaces by people trying to kill me.' (Ivan)
His eye fell on Simon, watching this with his mouth gone wry. 'And Simon. What the hell?' The Why was I blindsided? look was very clear in the Emperor's eye, which Ivan could only be grateful was not turned on him. Yet.

Simon gave him a beleaguered head tilt. 'You know that long lunch appointment I made with you for tomorrow?'

'Yes...?'

'I should have made it for yesterday.'

"Captain Ivan Vorpatril is happy with his relatively uneventful bachelor's life of a staff officer to a Barrayaran Admiral. Ivan, cousin to Imperial troubleshooter Miles Vorkosigan, is not far down the hereditary list for the emperorship. Thankfully, new heirs have directed that headache elsewhere leaving Ivan to enjoy like on Komarr. But when and old friend in Barrayaran intelligence asks Ivan to protect an attractive young woman Tej Arqua his chivalrous nature takes over and danger finds him once again. Tej and her half-sister Rish are fleeing the violent overthrow of their clan but it seems Tej may possess a hidden secret that could corrupt the heart of a highly regarded Barrayarn family. But none of Tej's formidable adversaries have counted on Ivan Vorpatril. Behind his facade of wry and self effacing humor lies a true and cunning protector who will never leave a distressed lady in the lurch"--… (more)

124 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible