Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois…

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

8206911,078 (4.01)1 / 107
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Riverdale, NY : New York : Baen Books ; Distributed by Simon & Schuster, 2012.
Collections:Read, ebooks, Cover done
Tags:SF, !Hugo13, _import131202, Fic, !Baen

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold (2012)

Definitely a romantic comedy - but it's an absolutely delightful, action-filled, silly-but-engrossing romantic comedy.

It concentrates on Ivan Vorpatril, Miles Vorkosigan's cousin. In many of the earlier books, Ivan comes off as a bit of a jerk and a buffoon - this book allows us to see things from his perspective.

Here, his gallantry (and, perhaps, his tendency to leap into things feet-first) leads him to instantly marry a lovely refugee, in order to protect her under the law.

Little did he realize that his well-intentioned act would saddle him with troubles and plots beyond what he'd guessed at. Even less did he realize he might actually end up falling in love.

Only two complaints - there is a bit where I swear a prisoner escapes and is then mysteriously a prisoner again a couple of pages later. Maybe I missed something...

And - the back cover art. The heroine here is very clearly described as a black woman of mixed race. The girl splayed out on the back cover is clearly not. This is the 21st century - can we not do that anymore? (Plus, the back cover is embarrassing enough to make me flip the book over if I see someone coming...) Not the author's fault, I know... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Another book in the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold--it actually predates the last book in the series.
The story this time revolves around Miles' cousin, Ivan. Previously always in the shadow of his brilliant, erratic cousin, Ivan shows he has a bit more to him than even he suspected.
He gets asked to do the simple job of making contact with a beautiful, young woman--something right up Ivan's alley, but things go wrong right from the start and poor Ivan is the the target of beautiful maidens and criminals alike.
Miles does make a cameo appearance, but that's it.
This was quite an enjoyable story, but without the constant neck-or-nothing , life-on-the-edge style that Miles seems to bring to a story.
Grover Gardner, as always, is a superlative narrator. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Let me begin with a warning, do not read Captain Vorpartril's Alliance if you are new to the Vorkosigan Saga. Of all the Vorkosigan books it is this one that would benefit most with some background knowledge. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that Bujold penned this book as a thank you to her loyal addicts. For more visit: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-art-of-wooing-review-of-captain... ( )
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |
A fun entry in the Vorkosigan series featuring Miles's cousin Ivan Vorpatril. I do wish that I had read (or, rather, listened to) this before Cryoburn though, as it is clearly set prior to it.

Grover Gardner once again shines as the narrator of this audiobook edition. I couldn't stop listening once I started :) ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 4, 2015 |
This is fun, and it wants to be fun and for the most part it succeeds. Working as an aide for an admiral in Komarr, Ivan Vorpatril, the Wooster to Miles' Jeeves, if Jeeves fecked off out into the universe and did his own thing with Wooster waving him on from the distant sidelines because Jeeves is a bit of a trouble magnet whose solutions cause more trouble than the trouble as far as Wooster is concerned, finds himself in trouble when a cousin, no a different cousin, sends him off to pick up a woman and take her out for a night for unspecified reasons. The picking up is disastrous because the woman and her half-sister are refugees from a nasty coup on Jackson's Whole, and they promptly stun him and tie him up and ponder loudly about how to dispose of his body.

So, a comedy of errors, at least to start with, turning into something vaguely farcical as Ivan, the refugess and the cousin are trapped in an apartment with two types of duly authorised arresting officials trying to get in and nowhere to run, leaving Ivan with no choice but to do the obvious thing and marry her.

That sorts out their immediate problem Everyone returns to Barryar to contemplate the can of worms. There follows an extended middle section of the book where various sections of Ivan's rich, powerful, priveleged, aristocratic but also massively competent, capable, intelligent, over-achieving, highly moral and nice, but tough when they need to be, family, contemplate, with distant amusement and exasperation, Ivan's problem. They are arch, splendid, caring, shrewd, and let us not forget, the scions of a once-nasty, now-nice galactic empire, Bujold's ongoing happy ending for the Miles Vorkosigan series, the kind of equilibrium a comedy is supposed to throw into disorder, but this lot are so awesome, it doesn't look as if anything short of a nuclear bomb would ruffle their feathers.

We don't get a bomb, but just as you're about to build and throw one yourself, Ivan's new in-laws arrive en-masse, scheming, ruthless, haughty, on the run but still, somehow lovable in their own way, and things get interesting again.

So, yes, it's a science fiction rom-com, harmless and fun and inoffensive, wittily written, clever and warm-hearted. It's only real flaw is it's a bit too in love with the setting and the characters to really upset the apple-cart or do anything especially subversive or threatening. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carol Russo DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, JoyPagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ivan’s door buzzer sounded at close to Komarran midnight, just when he was unwinding enough from lingering jump lag, his screwed-up diurnal rhythm, and the day’s labors to consider sleep.
'I do not have a claustrophobia thing. I have a perfectly rational dislike of being locked up in small, dark, wet spaces by people trying to kill me.' (Ivan)
His eye fell on Simon, watching this with his mouth gone wry. 'And Simon. What the hell?' The Why was I blindsided? look was very clear in the Emperor's eye, which Ivan could only be grateful was not turned on him. Yet.

Simon gave him a beleaguered head tilt. 'You know that long lunch appointment I made with you for tomorrow?'

'Yes...?'

'I should have made it for yesterday.'

"Captain Ivan Vorpatril is happy with his relatively uneventful bachelor's life of a staff officer to a Barrayaran Admiral. Ivan, cousin to Imperial troubleshooter Miles Vorkosigan, is not far down the hereditary list for the emperorship. Thankfully, new heirs have directed that headache elsewhere leaving Ivan to enjoy like on Komarr. But when and old friend in Barrayaran intelligence asks Ivan to protect an attractive young woman Tej Arqua his chivalrous nature takes over and danger finds him once again. Tej and her half-sister Rish are fleeing the violent overthrow of their clan but it seems Tej may possess a hidden secret that could corrupt the heart of a highly regarded Barrayarn family. But none of Tej's formidable adversaries have counted on Ivan Vorpatril. Behind his facade of wry and self effacing humor lies a true and cunning protector who will never leave a distressed lady in the lurch"--… (more)

203 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,248,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible