Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

Ask the Passengers (edition 2012)

by A.S. King

Member:sparklecookie
Title:Ask the Passengers
Authors:A.S. King
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:girl, seventeen, love, lesbian, gay best friend, coming out, high school, bullying, parents, family, sister, philosophy

Ask The Passengers by A.S. King

This is a book about a girl who is questioning her sexually and trying to come to terms of being gay. ( )
  WarriorLibrary | Aug 15, 2014 |
This is an insightful coming of age novel about Astrid, a high school senior, who is struggling with her sexual identity. She is a very believable character, both thoughtful and mature. I feel I can better understand the anguish young adults might experience while questioning their sexuality. ( )
  dinelson | May 22, 2014 |
A lovely book about self- discovery & realization; I especially liked how the author used philosophy (mainly Socrates & Plato) in the story.
  deadgirl | May 7, 2014 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

Ask the Passengers is a pretty standard contemporary/issues novel, if you read a lot of those. I don't, so the chance to walk in the shoes of someone who has a life which I could easily imagine was a nice change of pace. Astrid has a ton of love to give, but she's afraid of what will happen if people in her small town find out that a lot of that love is directed towards another girl. So she imagines sending all of her extra love to passengers on planes high up in the sky -- someone might as well benefit from what she can't have, right? There's a bit of magical realism in the story, if you choose to read it as Astrid actually, literally sending love to these people. I think you can read it in a much less magical way, and regardless, it adds an extra bit of poignancy to the story when we occasionally hear from these passengers.

The resolution left me a little cold, which is probably the reason that's keeping me from giving this a full five stars. Astrid's girlfriend Dee is incredibly pushy towards Astrid when she doesn't get what she wants. I'm not going to let Dee off the hook for being manipulative just because she's a girl, and I dislike that the message of the book was "people can change" rather than "people who try to pressure you into moving too fast are usually no good". Sure, the book talked about improving communication, but I'm always uncomfortable when the story boils down to "if they really like you, they'll change". People also do and say horrible things to Astrid once her secret comes out, and no one really seems to face any consequences for it. Astrid is much more charitable and forgiving than I am -- maybe I'm just a pro at holding grudges, but I dumped friends for doing far less to me than Astrid's did over the course of the book. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
As good as everyone's been saying it is. A read where not everything is perfect and doesn't end up perfect. Very nice read. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
"Question everything."
- Euripides

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing."
-Socrates

"Know thyself."
Ancient Greek Aphorism
Every airplane, no matter how far it is up there, I send love to it.

Astrid Jones, who realizes that she is a lesbian, deals with the gossip and rejection she faces by sending love up to the people on airplanes as they pass over her.

"Astrid Jones copes with her small town's gossip and narrow-mindedness by staring at the sky and imagining that she's sending love to the passengers in the airplanes flying high over her backyard. Maybe they'll know what to do with it. Maybe it'll make them happy. Maybe they'll need it. Her mother doesn't want it, her father's always stoned, her perfect sister's too busy trying to fit in, and the people in her small town would never allow her to love the person she really wants to: another girl named Dee. There's no one Astrid feels she can talk to about this deep secret or the profound questions that she's trying to answer. But little does she know just how much sending her love--and asking the right questions--will affect the passengers' lives, and her own, for the better"--… (more)

A.S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

15 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible