Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

Ask the Passengers (edition 2012)

by A.S. King

5224519,378 (3.94)1 / 7
Member:sparklecookie
Title:Ask the Passengers
Authors:A.S. King
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:girl, seventeen, love, lesbian, gay best friend, coming out, high school, bullying, parents, family, sister, philosophy

Ask the Passengers by A. S. King

3.5 stars

This is a story about a girl who is questioning and leaning toward being gay. She has a girlfriend, but she is figuring everything out, including her life in a new town and troubles with her parents. I feel like family relationships are just as big of a focus as anything else in this book. There's also a lot about high school, popularity, friendship and other teen issues. Astrid's narrative is broken occasionally by little bits from other's lives. It shows how everyone is struggling with something in their lives, not just teens. I liked this book and felt like it did have a message for me, but I also think a teen would get more from it than I did. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Between a three and four. It was sweet.
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
Some of the characters were believable, mother was completely unbelievable! Not saying parts of her werent believable but it was hard to buy the whole package ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I loved so many things about this book! I loved the interstitial bits about the passengers of airplanes; I loved everything about Socrates. I did not love that it apparently takes places in that alternate universe, so frequently depicted in movies, television, and novels, in which bisexual people do not exist. ( )
  bibliovermis | Jul 20, 2016 |
"Question everything."
- Euripides

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing."
-Socrates

"Know thyself."
Ancient Greek Aphorism
Every airplane, no matter how far it is up there, I send love to it.

Astrid Jones, who realizes that she is a lesbian, deals with the gossip and rejection she faces by sending love up to the people on airplanes as they pass over her.

"Astrid Jones copes with her small town's gossip and narrow-mindedness by staring at the sky and imagining that she's sending love to the passengers in the airplanes flying high over her backyard. Maybe they'll know what to do with it. Maybe it'll make them happy. Maybe they'll need it. Her mother doesn't want it, her father's always stoned, her perfect sister's too busy trying to fit in, and the people in her small town would never allow her to love the person she really wants to: another girl named Dee. There's no one Astrid feels she can talk to about this deep secret or the profound questions that she's trying to answer. But little does she know just how much sending her love--and asking the right questions--will affect the passengers' lives, and her own, for the better"--… (more)

A. S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

92 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,663,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible