Dead River by Cyn Balog

Dead River

by Cyn Balog

Camping trips are always fun. The idea of eating smores, telling ghost stories, and sleeping underneath the stars is the dream of children. It is the excitement of adventure that calls to the hearts of children and pulls the parents to the forests. Along the trails that lead to the camps, parents often wonder about the many safety issues that arise during the trip; such as staying safe near the river, not getting lost in the woods, avoiding wild animals, and not getting poison ivy. Every once and a while a story will leak out about how a family will come across a wild man or a strange person of some kind. Something so bizarre that it just cannot be explained. This book is about such an experience. It is about a young girl named Kiandra. A girl that at a young age witnessed her mother loose her life in a river known as the ‘Dead River’. A river that she has returned to. Kiandra has come back on a camping trip and has determined to conquer the river in her own way. She soon learns that the river has its own plans.

This book started out interesting, but half way through got ridiculous. I got frustrated with the main character and found her to be a push over and wanted her to get a back bone of some kind. I thought the other characters were annoying and immature. Most of the book made no sense to me and I could not finish it at all. I am not proud of that and I really try not to do that. However, I honestly could not finish it. The story was just too bizarre and the character was so whiny that it became distracting for me. If Kiandra was a stronger person I think I would have not had such a difficult time with it. Not impressed with this one. Sorry everyone. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Apr 16, 2014 |
Yes, it was a bit predictable, and the author gave the book an oddly happy ending, but I really enjoyed reading the book and thought it had some genuinely creepy moments. ( )
  LouisVillains | Feb 27, 2014 |
What's not to love about a good, old-fashioned ghost story? DEAD RIVER by Cyn Balog is certainly spooky, with a protagonist seeing ghosts (and not sure if she might be crazy). But there's a lot more to DEAD RIVER than meets the eye.

On prom weekend, Kiandra, her best friend, and their two dates are going camping instead. If Ki had her way, she'd have a pink dress and a corsage and that magical dance, but she loves her long-time boyfriend and he loves white water rafting. Her dad has always kept her away from the water, ever since her mom died and left them behind. And Ki is starting to wonder if there's a good reason for it. For one thing, the Dead River gives her the creeps. And then there's the fact that her encounters with spirits are getting more and more intense. Suddenly, nothing she knew about her mother is clear, and Kiandra has to wonder about her own destiny, as someone who can see not just spirits, but the spirits of the drowned. Spirits who all seem to have different motives -- and Kiandra can't tell who is telling the truth.

In this supernatural tale of suspense, Cyn Balog constructs an intriguing mythology around the mystery of the Dead River. With themes of friendship, family, and loyalty -- along with some great scares -- this is one that is sure to find an audience with fans of Nancy Holder's POSSESSIONS series or old school Lois Duncan mysteries. ( )
  EKAnderson | May 13, 2013 |

"A weekend rafting trip turns deadly when ghosts start turning up . . . and want something from high school senior Kiandra that she isn't sure she can give them"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible