Ghost Knight by Cornelia Funke

Ghost Knight

by Cornelia Funke

English (15)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
Jon goes to boarding school, only to discover that its location is haunted by ghosts with a personal vendetta against his family. Along the way he meets Ella, who knows all about ghosts and wants to help him, and the ghost of Longspee, an ancient knight with a shadowy past. I enjoyed this one. I don't have much else to say about it, except that it's a solid supernatural yarn in a lovely location. Once again, Funke delivers. ( )
  melydia | Aug 11, 2017 |
It's basically the end of the world for Jon Whitcroft. First his mom starts dating a guy he hates, and now he is being shipped off to some private school he knows he's going to hate. Clearly, it just can't get any worse for him. That is, until a group of ghostly horsemen that only he can see start threatening his life.

While it may appear that Jon is the main character by that description, which I suppose technically he is, it is his friend Ella who is the real star of the book. She's strong-willed and intelligent, and Jon just feels flat, insubstantial dullard by comparison. The plot mostly involves Jon being an idiot and Ella guiding him along his path, which is fine, except it just made me wish Ella was the main character. Jon is a weak character with no personality, which is bad when the story is told from his perspective.

Speaking of the story, I wasn't terribly enthusiastic about it. Maybe it harkens back to my problems with Jon, but I had a hard time being emotionally involved in what was happening. The story moved from one event to the next far too quickly, and while I don't expect literary depth from a children's novel, the characters never really reflect on what's happening before they are off to the next situation.

There are a few positive things I can say. I liked Ella and Zelda, and the last couple chapters were surprisingly good because there was a teensy bit of character development at the very end of the thing, but it was too little too late, and doesn't change the fact that half the time I felt like I was forcing myself to read it. When the text is so big that there is barely more than a couple paragraphs per page and you still feel like your struggling to turn the pages, there's a problem! 2 stars. ( )
  Ape | Apr 7, 2016 |
Narrated by Elliot Hill. I didn't find this worthy of the Odyssey Award Honor it garnered. The production was clean but I found Hill's reading too understated and restrained for the material and I was never fully pulled into the story. Lib note: There are several scenes of graphic swordfights and severing of hands, truly gnarly ghosts, and spooky cemetery settings that will put off more sensitive readers. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
When we travel, we bring along an audio book stash. Basically I try to have one disc for every hour of travel by car. As we have children, these audios are typically children's books.

Ghost Knight by Cornelia Funke was our audio book for the drive from Portland to Astoria, Oregon and north into Washington.

Jon is sent away to school as his mother is dating a man he calls "the Beard." On his very first night he is taunted by a trio of ghosts. It only gets worse from there. Jon quickly realizes that he needs help.

In the help department, Jon has Ella and her toad obsessed aunt. They are the local ghost hunting experts. It's their understanding of local legends and history that leads to Jon summoning the ghost of Sir Longspee, a knight with a tragic tale entwined in local lore.

For a car trip, Ghost Knight was the right balance of simplicity, fantasy, and adventure. Jon and Ella aren't especially well developed but for a ghost story, they don't really need to be. ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 24, 2014 |
Great characterization. Slow to wrap up. Some convenient coincidences. ( )
  MontLancLibrary | May 8, 2013 |

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Latsch, OliverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Offermann, AndreaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Offermann, AndreaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From international phenomenon Cornelia Funke, the bestselling author of Reckless and Inkheart.

Eleven-year-old Jon Whitcroft never expected to enjoy boarding school. Then again, he never expected to be confronted by a pack of vengeful ghosts, either. And then he meets Ella, a quirky new friend with a taste for adventure...

Together, Jon and Ella must work to uncover the secrets of a centuries-old murder while being haunted by terrifying spirits, their bloodless faces set on revenge. So when Jon summons the ghost of the late knight Longspee for his protection, there's just one question: Can Longspee truly be trusted?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Jon Whitcroft and new friend Ella summon the ghost of Sir William Longspee, who may be able to protect Jon from a group of ghosts that threatens him harm from the day he arrives at Salisbury Cathedral's boarding school. Includes historical notes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible