Ridder zonder hart by Cornelia Funke

Ridder zonder hart (edition 2012)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:emhromp2
Title:Ridder zonder hart
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:Querido
Tags:fantasy, knights, friendship, ghosts, boarding school

Ghost Knight by Cornelia Funke

Recently added byChildrensLitFdn, Havelock.Library, private library, Sethur, e-zReader, gmslc, kpevjen, booksniff

English (12)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
When we travel, we bring along an audio book stash. Basically I try to have one disc for every hour of travel by car. As we have children, these audios are typically children's books.

Ghost Knight by Cornelia Funke was our audio book for the drive from Portland to Astoria, Oregon and north into Washington.

Jon is sent away to school as his mother is dating a man he calls "the Beard." On his very first night he is taunted by a trio of ghosts. It only gets worse from there. Jon quickly realizes that he needs help.

In the help department, Jon has Ella and her toad obsessed aunt. They are the local ghost hunting experts. It's their understanding of local legends and history that leads to Jon summoning the ghost of Sir Longspee, a knight with a tragic tale entwined in local lore.

For a car trip, Ghost Knight was the right balance of simplicity, fantasy, and adventure. Jon and Ella aren't especially well developed but for a ghost story, they don't really need to be. ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 24, 2014 |
Great characterization. Slow to wrap up. Some convenient coincidences. ( )
  MontLancLibrary | May 8, 2013 |
Classic Funke that her fans in grades 4-7 will love. She writers with such humor, and her fully-fleshed characters are a delight. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Really like Cornelia Funke. I always forget that though. Anyway this is a solid ghost story, set in a very realistic Salisbury feature a few of my favorite things, ghosts, chivalrous knights, Stonehenge, wacky grandmas and boarding school. I like the voice of Jon, very realistic 11 year old, especially how he resentfully calls his mom's new boyfriend The Beard.
The narrator was excellent, British without being too crusty and did very well shifting between the many voices from the cruel Stourton to the honorable Longspee all while keeping a steady pace, not too hurried. The sound quality was amazing and I really enjoyed Funke's author note at the end which she recorded herself. It gave some very interesting information that deepened the interest and understanding. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
A wonderful narration by Elliot Hill. Ghosts are probably my least favorite characters in the fantasy genre. It was the Odyssey Honor award, and not the plot, that prompted me to listen. It is really good story, with wonderful characters. It has a combination of fantasy and humor that I so enjoy. According to an afterwood read by Cornelia Funke, inspiration for the story came many years ago on a visit to Salisbury and much of the setting is based on real places. ( )
  geraldinefm | Feb 12, 2013 |

From international phenomenon Cornelia Funke, the bestselling author of Reckless and Inkheart.

Eleven-year-old Jon Whitcroft never expected to enjoy boarding school. Then again, he never expected to be confronted by a pack of vengeful ghosts, either. And then he meets Ella, a quirky new friend with a taste for adventure...

Together, Jon and Ella must work to uncover the secrets of a centuries-old murder while being haunted by terrifying spirits, their bloodless faces set on revenge. So when Jon summons the ghost of the late knight Longspee for his protection, there's just one question: Can Longspee truly be trusted?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:50 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Jon Whitcroft and new friend Ella summon the ghost of Sir William Longspee, who may be able to protect Jon from a group of ghosts that threatens him harm from the day he arrives at Salisbury Cathedral's boarding school. Includes historical notes.… (more)

18 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible