Verdwijnpunt by Arnaldur Indridason
Title:Verdwijnpunt
Authors:Arnaldur Indridason
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, ijsland, erlendur

Strange Shores by Arnaldur Indridason (2010)

English (19)  Dutch (6)  French (1)  All (26)

Decades after Matthildur’s disappearance, Erlendur is investigating in the same wilderness. He is looking for clues to Matthildur’s fate, but also for his long-lost brother, Bergur, who was lost in a violent winter storm when the two of them were young children – a loss that has tainted Erlendur’s entire life. Slowly, as the past begins to surrender its secrets, the detective realizes that these may have been better left buried.

Indridason once again delivers with a strong crime story, and great secondary characters: Ezra, part of Matthildur’s past, is particularly memorable. But my favourite parts of this final Detective Erlendur novel are the personal insights into the detective himself. While the memories of Beggi’s loss have haunted him forever, he does recall life with his parents and brother before tragedy struck, when they were a happy family of four:

"Occasions like Christmas: his father wearing an Icelandic Yule hat; the tree they had decorated together; listening to a radio serial on a winter’s evening. The images glimmered before his mind’s eye like the dim flickering of a candle ... Summer days. Sitting on a horse; his mother’s hand on the leading rein. The hay harvest. Men drinking coffee and smoking outside the house. He and Bergur playing in the sweet-scented hay in the barn." (Ch 26)

Indridason is my favourite Scandi-Crime writer. This entire series is highly recommended. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Jul 8, 2017 |
With this irregular 'investigation ' inspector Erlendur tries to uncover the case of someone went miss half a century ago meanwhile fighting with his own past. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jun 30, 2017 |
To begin with I thought this was great, then I felt that Indridason was simply undulging his best-known character, but by the end I realised it was about something else entirely, and is quite profound. Ageing, memory, the function of enquiry and knowledge for it's own sake regardless of emotional consequences. I have to say I found the ending rather unsatisfactory, and unlikely that these characters would accept what they come to in those final, brief three pages that are so rushed they give the impression Indridason didn't want to write them, as though the task of solving the mystery were enough when of course we know it isn't because we have spent the entire series of Erlendur novels learning that closure is unattainable. Erlendur's story ends instead with a curious admixture of reason and magic. I guess that is quite Icelandic in some senses.

It's not Indridasson's best, but it's not the worst either. What I really don't understand is how the blurb on the back cover managed to get the leading story so wrong that it sounds as if it's about another book... but that's publishers. ( )
  Mijk | Apr 22, 2016 |
A fitting final for Erlendur. As usual he starts from the smallest of pieces of evidence building up to the result. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I have been a fan of Indridason's books since reading Jar City several years ago. Just got round to reading Black Skies and Strange Shores after a couple of years break from him. It seems that this is the end of Erlendur but what a finale. A sad and poignant tale which grabs the heart strings and highlights Erlendur's dogged detective work as he unearths the 60year old mystery in Eastern Iceland. I'm going to read the two prequels but somehow they won't be the same. Farewell Erlendur. ( )
  jimrbrown | Jan 8, 2016 |
If I could read an Arnaldur Indridason crime novel every day for the rest of my life I would be a very happy man. I don't know of anyone writing better mysteries than he. He is a master.
added by mysterymax | editDeadly Pleasures Mystery Magazine, George Easter (Sep 5, 2015)

Indridason, Arnaldurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cribb, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rexford, JustinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wees een briesje, mijn lied,
in het riet van de Styx
en zing, vertroostend, wiegend
hen die wachten.
Snorri Hjartarson
May my poem pass like a breeze through the sedge by the Styx, its singing bring solace, lull those to sleep who wait. Snorri Hjartason
Koud heeft hij het niet meer.
He no longer feels cold: instead a curious heat is spreading through his veins.

A young woman walks into the frozen fjords of Iceland, never to be seen again. But Matthildur leaves in her wake rumours of lies, betrayal and revenge. Decades later, somewhere in the same wilderness, Detective Erlendur is on the hunt. He is looking for Matthildur but also for a long-lost brother, whose disappearance in a snow-storm when they were children has coloured his entire life. He is looking for answers. Slowly, the past begins to surrender its secrets. But as Erlendur uncovers a story about the limits of human endurance, he realises that many people would prefer their crimes to stay buried.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,042,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible