Hollow Earth by John Barrowman

Hollow Earth

by John Barrowman, Carole E. Barrowman

Series: Hollow Earth (1)

2201480,111 (3.78)14

Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

Honestly, one of the reasons I was interested in this book, was because it was co-written by John Barrowman, who most of you might know from either Doctor Who, Torchwood or Arrow. Then, of course, I read the summary and I thought it sounded interesting, so that is the reason I eventually bought it.

The first thing I noticed, was that this book has a map of the island the twins and their mum are staying on, which is something I really like – because sometimes I find it hard to imagine the place in which the book happens; because of the way people describe it, so with this book I often found myself flipping back to the beginning of the book to see where the people in the story were at that moment.

I also really liked the concept; being able to animate yourself into paintings, or having your drawings come to life. I mean, who wouldn’t want that? Okay, maybe the whole ‘scary things appearing when you’re scared’ thing isn’t really that awesome (I mean, spiders the size of a cat, no thank you!), but the rest is really something I would love to be able to do!

There were some parts in the book where I wasn’t 100% sure what exactly happened, and I had to re-read that part again to understand what had happened (and sometimes after re-reading it I still didn’t understand it), because so many things happened all at once, and the POV’s kept changing and telling the same part of the story again, so that was a bit annoying. There was also one character who had a Scottish accent, and her dialogue was written that way, which is something I find annoying, an accent being written down (like Hagrid’s in Harry Potter). Because sometimes I just don’t get what they’re saying.

I gave this book three planets, because though I couldn’t really relate to any of the characters, and some parts were a bit confusing to me, I did really enjoy this book, and I am definitely going to read the second one, because I just really want to know what happened! I can’t really handle it when a book ends in a ‘cliffhanger’ (though this wasn’t really a proper cliffhanger, but still, not everything that happened in this book was solved). ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
I had to read a book by a celebrity and a middle grade novel and had Hollow Earth on my TBR list so decided to combine these two challenges and move Hollow Earth up and read it for the challenges.

I enjoyed this book more than I thought, I chose it for the premise of people who can manipulate their imagination to make things come to life (don't we all imagine that as kids?) but was a little hesitant with it being co-written by a celebrity. I wondered if it was just a ploy to cash on on Mr. Barrowman's popularity as an actor. I was wrong. He and his sister can really write.

If you aren't fond of middle school fiction (or your not fond of middle school students) you may want to stay away from this book as one of the main characters, Matt is very typical of a 13-year old boy who has some major family issues and blames is mom - being a complete brat to her. He's also angry and frustrated (usually that means a sad boy or man who can't admit he's in pain) and that tends to come out in ill-thought out actions.

Em and Matt are twins who have extraordinary powers that are growing. They don't really know what they are or what they can do and their mom isn't telling them anything. Something happens though that makes her bring them to their grandfather, a man they don't remember meeting. Shortly after they arrive their mom disappears and their grandfather is severely hurt.

This is an easy (for an adult) and fast book that does a great job of introducing a new trilogy without leaving one of those awful cliffhangers. You want to read more but not because there's no ending to this book. I'll be reading more and will be buying copies of the series for my grandkids. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Started out great but couldn't stay into it. Not into young adult reading right now. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Yeah. I'm one of those people that read the book because of 'Captain Jack' himself. The book was okay. It wasn't bad by any means and some parts had me on the edge of my seat, but I feel like it was what I was expecting and didn't have a lot of surprise twists and turns. Like I said, that's not to say it was a bad story, because it isn't. I've just seen it all before. I would still recommend this book to people that might find it interesting. Everyone is different and I see a lot of people loved it =). 3.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 23, 2016 |
Did the name John Barrowman sound familiar to you? Then you might know him from Doctor Who, Torchwood or Arrow!? He must have a wicked imagination, I thought. And when I found out he wrote this book with his sister Carole, who happens to be a teacher (English & Creative writing), it had to work, right?!

Hollow Earth - "a place where all the devils, demons and monsters ever imagined lie trapped for eternity", starts at the the monastery of Era Mina on Auchinmurn Isle, where an old monk was illuminating The Book of Beasts. You are just about to enjoy it all and we get sucked to present time and meet the twins Matt and Em. They are one of a kind. Not only do they animate their imagination through drawing them, but they are also the offsprings of an Animare and a Guardian – which ancient laws had forbidden. As they get older, their powers grow with them and things get complicated. With their mom, they flee London and find a safer haven in their granddad’s abbey, on a remote Scottish island.

Although the passion for art’s intriguing, It’s at this point I started to wonder whether my expectations had been too high. I also wished we got more of an insight of what was going on at the abbey during the Middle Ages. Then I mean, a bit more than one (rather short) chapter at the beginning of each of the 4 parts. But then the pace picked up, it got a lot more exciting and the craziest things happen and suddenly turned in such a cliffhanger, that I didn’t want to lay the book down anymore!

Loved the concept of Animare & Guardians, characters are well-developed (their backgrounds included), easy to visualize and get sucked into the story etc etc. The loose ends and unanswered questions, only make me long for more! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Feb 26, 2015 |

Barrowman, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrowman, Carole E.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Handelman, JessicaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinder, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quarless, NigelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there are doors. - William Blake
To Clare and Turner, Kevin and Scott, Marion and John, with love and thanks
The book the old monk was illuminating began with these words. THIS book is about the nature of beasts. Gaze upon these pages at your peril.
From the Front cover of the book: Imagination can be a dangerious thing. / Back Cover: The monster's eyes scanned the darkness, Hide, Hide, Hide... /

Henri Fuseli's painting Titania and Bottom (1790) inspired painting Witch with Changeling Child. William Blake's painting The Ghost of a Flea (1819-20) inspired Fox's The Demon Within. You can see both of the real paintings at the Tate Britain in London.

The medieval manuscript The Aberdeen Bestiary inspired the The Book of Beasts.

Lots of twins have a special connection - being able to finish each other's sentences; sensing what the other is thinking; perhaps even knowing when the other is in trouble or in pain - but for 12-year-old twins, Matt and Emily Calder, the connection is beyond special. Together, the twins have extraordinary powers. They are able to bring art to life, or enter paintings at will. Their abilities are sought by villains trying to access the terrors of Hollow Earth - a place where all the demons, devils and creatures ever imagined lie trapped for eternity. The twins flee with their mother to the security of an island, off the west coast of Scotland, where their grandfather has certain protective powers of his own. But too much is at stake, and the twins aren't safe there either. The villains will stop at nothing to find Hollow Earth and harness the powers within.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible